• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Running slow developing, elongated hand-offs with our backs standing still or moving parallel to the line of scrimmage makes our line worse having to hold blocks for a long time- Clawson has a lot to prove on offense.

Defensive line depth concerns me, would look a lot better if we had Zeek Rodney. Hard to believe Janvion is not nailed down as a starter?

That may have been an overreach on my part saying that Janvion hasn't locked down a starting spot, but both Glenn and Bates are surging.

DE depth overall seems much improved, but I agree that NT is concerning. Willie Yarbary is probably available as additional depth at both inside positions.

Last edited:
Any word on Maggio? He's got the biggest shoes to fill.

Any word on Maggio? He's got the biggest shoes to fill.

You're right about big shoes to fill.
A few months ago he said his primary goal for the summer was to eat a lot and gain weight and strength.
Hope he's been successful.

You're right about big shoes to fill.
A few months ago he said his primary goal for the summer was to eat a lot and gain weight and strength.
Hope he's been successful.

I could crush that goal, well, except for the strength part.

That may have been an overreach on my part saying that Janvion hasn't locked down a starting spot, but both Glenn and Bates are surging.

DE depth overall seems much improved, but I agree that NT is concerning. Willie Yarbary is probably available as additional depth at both inside positions.

Yeah, I should've been more specific, I was really referring to NT depth. Imagine if Lewinson hadn't come back.

Certainly hoping someone can replace Janvion in the secondary. Stunned he's been able to play as much as he has the last 3 years.

Les Johns is reporting that Zack Wary is medically disqualified from playing football. Not sure what that is about. Hate it for the kid. Apologies if I missed this mentioned elsewhere.

Man, that's a big blow. I had high hopes for him this season. Hate it for him. Insert Strand and Mays.

Les Johns is reporting that Zack Wary is medically disqualified from playing football. Not sure what that is about. Hate it for the kid. Apologies if I missed this mentioned elsewhere.

That sucks. I guess it will be Grant Dawson starting, he plays hard, but I think he lacks the size and athleticism we need.

Although it stinks for Wary and our defensive depth, you have to think Clawson knew about his situation for a while and has been making plans.

That sucks. I guess it will be Grant Dawson starting, he plays hard, but I think he lacks the size and athleticism we need.

Dawson & Williams will be competing for that spot. Dawson had a redshirt year underneath him, so he has the extra year, but is very limited from an athletic standpoint. (He wasn't productive when he has played defense last 2 years). Hopefully Williams has done enough to to earn it. We'll see both playing a lot this year either way.

A lot like Hunter Williams. Good kid, hard worker, good rep of the school. Very limited athletically, will get you beat. Could play in the MAC, but not in the ACC.

Last edited:
With fall camp opening today, here is my projected two-deep depth chart

OFFENSE

Quarterback:
OPEN
Contenders for the starting role are John Wolford and Kendall Hinton

Running Back:

COMMITTEE (likely Tyler Bell (SOPH) plus two out of Rocky Reid (rFR), Cade Carney (FR), Matt Colburn (SOPH) and Arkeem Byrd (FR))

X-Receiver:

Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Scotty Washington (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

S-Receiver:
Jared Crump (rSR)
Steven Claude (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

Flanker / Slot Receiver:
Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH) - committee situation
Note: Wade played some S in the spring, but I strongly suspect that he will remain at the Slot. Worth watching though.

Tight End:
Cam Serigne (rJR)
Devin Pike (JR) AND Brandon Chapman (FR)
Note: The earlier that Brandon Chapman can assume a blocking role (and the better he does it) the more I think the offense can diversify (i.e. outside running game etc)

Left Tackle:
Justin Herron (rSOPH)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)

Left Guard:
Ty Hayworth (rSR)
T.J. Haney (rFR)

Center:
Josh Harris (SR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)

Right Guard:
Phil Haynes (rSOPH)
Patrick Osterhage (rSOPH)

Right Tackle:
Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)

Notes: Taleni Suhren could earn a spot on the two-deep with a strong camp, but I think the hope is that he can be redshirted. Gilliam and Benzinger could easily be reversed with respect to second-team LT/RT. I think Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson could flip spots if Haynes is healthy and improved in camp.

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends:
Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and OPEN
Favorites for the open spot are Wendell Dunn (rJR), Paris Black (rFR) and Chris Calhoun (SOPH). Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH), Zander Zimmer (FR), Emmanuel Walker (FR) and Boogie Basham (FR) could all put themselves into contention with a solid camp.

Nose Tackle:
Shelldon Lewinson (rSR)
Note: No idea who the second-string would be. Also I don’t know which inside position Sulaiman Kamara (FR) will play.

Defensive Tackle:
Josh Banks (rSR)
Chris Stewart (rSOPH)

BUCK Linebacker:
Jaboree Williams (JR)
Zack Wary (rSOPH)
Note: This is technically an open spot. I just think that Jaboree goes into camp as solid favorite to hold off Zack Wary and Grant Dawson.

MIKE Linebacker:
Marquel Lee (SR)
Grant Dawson (rJR)

Rover:
Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Thomas Brown (SR)
Note: Brown could turn this into a committee situation like Williams/Kemp in 2015.

Cornerbacks:
Brad Watson (SR) and OPEN
Contenders for the open spot are Dionte Austin (SOPH) and Amari Henderson (rFR)

Safeties:
OPEN and OPEN
Contenders for the open spots are Ryan Janvion (rSR), Cameron Glenn (rSOPH), and Jessie Bates (rFR)
Note: Traveon Redd (FR) and Josh Okonye (rJR) have an outside chance at earning playing time if they have strong camps.

Placekicker:
Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH)

Punter:
Dom Maggio (FR)

No love for the longsnapper ? :(

Pretty good video of practice in the official site. Also, Clawson said its early, but Carney would be the starter right now.

Back