• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

It's not really the OL being bad. They take too much blame. The design of the run game needs to be completely revamped. It's way too slow developing and rarely attempts to get on the edge.

Then how do you account for all the sacks and hurries? The scheme?

All Grobe did was have a decent back hit a seam at full speed when the crease was created by a decent to inferior lineman. Clawson boogers simple up. Too much thinking. Take the freaking handoff behind your best blockers and grind. You will break some.

I am concerned about the running game, but also convinced that it will be better than what was shown on Saturday. Statistically the run game in the scrimmage was actually much worse than most games last season and worse than what they showed in the spring. If you told me that the run game hadn't taken a step forward I'd believe you, but I refuse to believe that the run game has taken a step back. I think we will see a better performance in the second scrimmage and the Tulane game.

Looking forward to playing App State soon. Black and Gold vs Old Gold and Black.

Going to join the Yosef Club. I have 2 daughters there.
Need a "Don't Mess With Yosef" bumper sticker.

Last edited:
Looking forward to playing App State soon. Black and Gold vs Old Gold and Black.

Going to join the Yosef Club. I have 2 daughters there.
Need a "Don't Mess With Yosef" bumper sticker.

Of all the dumb things we do, scheduling App reigns supreme. It will only be topped when we schedule Charlotte.

I thought the QB play was pretty good overall. Hinton Wolford both completed over 60% of their passed. O think the thing that separated them, was Hinton's rushing. His ability to run, however, set him apart. And for that reason, I think he one the QB competition, if only for one day.
I hope he wins outright. With our struggles to run the ball, we will have to rely on explosive plays; we aren't built to ground and pound. Hinton can facilitate the big play in a couple of ways- obviously with his feet, and with the deep ball. With his running ability, defenses will have to bring up a safety to account for him, which will limit the double teams on WR. When they that, Cortez, on the outside, and Cam down the middle should flourish.
Where I think he needs to improve, is decision making. There were two instances, on 3rd down, Saturday that I thought he could have run for first downs, but instead, he chose to throw the ball(I wonder if he is trying to throw more to prove the naysayers wrong about his throwing ability). I think he has the potential to be an absolute nightmare for defenses on 3rd&3/4 situations; situations we will be in a lot this season.

It's not as bad now that they are in FBS level.

Yeah, I have less of a problem playing them now, but don't like that we're going up there. Is it a straight home and home, or did we at least get a 2 for 1 deal?

Yeah, I have less of a problem playing them now, but don't like that we're going up there. Is it a straight home and home, or did we at least get a 2 for 1 deal?

Home and home.

App will come off the mountain to Winston = sellout

Better to play App than Charlotte or ECU, IMO.

Not only are we playing @App first, the return game isn't for 2 years after that. How they got a 1 for 1 out of that I'm dumbfounded. Should have been a 2 for 1. They need us more than we need them.

Actually, I'd argue it's better to play Charlotte than App. Still in the midst of transition, and a much better area to recruit in. Not to mention a win is more likely.

I believe their season opener in Boone this year is hosting the "U". Not sure our trip up to Boone is that big of a deal.

I believe their season opener in Boone this year is hosting the "U". Not sure our trip up to Boone is that big of a deal.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme, but settling on a H&H with App State is typical of the LOWF mentality that permeates the AD.

Some changes to my depth chart based on observations from who was with the 1s and 2s at Saturday’s scrimmage and a few notes from today’s Dan Collins article (here). Instead of posting the entire depth chart again, I’ve made it the OP in this thread.

I penciled in Alex Bachman as the starter at S-WR with Jared Crump injured. Bachman was the guy that played with the 1s on Saturday. I suspect that Steven Claude (who led all receivers with 5 catches on Saturday) is still in the mix.

I didn’t see Chuck Wade play outside WR at all, so as expected I think he’ll stay inside and continue the productive committee with Tabari Hines. I like the timeshare at slot as it limits the wear and tear on both players. Keeps them both fresh.

Saturday further solidified that Paris Black (rFR), Chris Calhoun (SOPH) and Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH) look to be the DEs competing for snaps behind Duke Ejiofor and Wendell Dunn (although I think Dunn’s job might be competitive). Second team DEs are important because they are guaranteed a lot of snaps. Black and Shaw may be a little ahead of Calhoun. Chances may be increasing that all of the true freshmen will redshirt.

I flipped Thomas Brown to starter at Rover over Demetrius Kemp although I still expect Kemp to get PT. I’m glad for Brown who has struck me as a quality overall player that has struggled to find a good fit positionally.

I’m going to pencil in Willie Yarbary as the other starter at DT, but this situation may also be fluid. Winning the starting role would be a nice result for the DL that Clawson flipped from an Indiana commitment on NSD in 2014. Yarbary didn’t have much of an impact in 2015, but may be taking a step forward in Year 2.

Chalk up Amari Henderson as one of the biggest disappointments thus far in camp. It’s 100% injury-related though (not performance). He came into camp with a chance to unseat Dionte Austin but he suffered another hamstring injury and the staff is being appropriately cautious. With Henderson missing a significant portion of camp for the second straight year, depth at CB has become a concern.

Some changes to my depth chart based on observations from who was with the 1s and 2s at Saturday’s scrimmage and a few notes from today’s Dan Collins article (here). Instead of posting the entire depth chart again, I’ve made it the OP in this thread.

I penciled in Alex Bachman as the starter at S-WR with Jared Crump injured. Bachman was the guy that played with the 1s on Saturday. I suspect that Steven Claude (who led all receivers with 5 catches on Saturday) is still in the mix.

I didn’t see Chuck Wade play outside WR at all, so as expected I think he’ll stay inside and continue the productive committee with Tabari Hines. I like the timeshare at slot as it limits the wear and tear on both players. Keeps them both fresh.

Saturday further solidified that Paris Black (rFR), Chris Calhoun (SOPH) and Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH) look to be the DEs competing for snaps behind Duke Ejiofor and Wendell Dunn (although I think Dunn’s job might be competitive). Second team DEs are important because they are guaranteed a lot of snaps. Black and Shaw may be a little ahead of Calhoun. Chances may be increasing that all of the true freshmen will redshirt.

I flipped Thomas Brown to starter at Rover over Demetrius Kemp although I still expect Kemp to get PT. I’m glad for Brown who has struck me as a quality overall player that has struggled to find a good fit positionally.

I’m going to pencil in Willie Yarbary as the other starter at DT, but this situation may also be fluid. Winning the starting role would be a nice result for the DL that Clawson flipped from an Indiana commitment on NSD in 2014. Yarbary didn’t have much of an impact in 2015, but may be taking a step forward in Year 2.

Chalk up Amari Henderson as one of the biggest disappointments thus far in camp. It’s 100% injury-related though (not performance). He came into camp with a chance to unseat Dionte Austin but he suffered another hamstring injury and the staff is being appropriately cautious. With Henderson missing a significant portion of camp for the second straight year, depth at CB has become a concern.

What are your thoughts on Chris Stewart? He kind of caught my eye last eye, I don't know if it was really his play or just the size that he brought to DE for us. Of course I know he's been moved to DT now, but for whatever reason I kind of got my hopes up for him last year at whatever position he finally settled on.

What are your thoughts on Chris Stewart? He kind of caught my eye last eye, I don't know if it was really his play or just the size that he brought to DE for us. Of course I know he's been moved to DT now, but for whatever reason I kind of got my hopes up for him last year at whatever position he finally settled on.

Big year coming up for him. He's clearly in the rotation at DT and so he's guaranteed to see a number of snaps. Quite possibly the primary backup for Josh Banks, he has a chance to establish himself as the heir apparent to the fifth year senior. Other than the one big play in the BC game last season he didn't stand out much, but as a redshirt freshman DL you wouldn't expect that he would. Now he goes from Year 1 on the field to Year 2 and this is his chance to prove that he's more than a JAG (Just A Guy). He'll be someone that I'll be watching closely in the first few games.

Back