• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stadium Experiences

Real Death Valley, in Baton Rouge, is the loudest in the country. Saturday night games there are the best. They try to put 'em all on Sat. night.

Looking forward to attending the Battle at Bristol this fall - when Tennessee & Virginia Tech play at Bristol Motor Speedway in front of approximately 160,000 people!

Clemson/USC a few years ago is by far the best one I've been at. Atmosphere was incredible. Memorial Stadium is probably my favorite place to watch a game.

We had Clemson season tickets growing up so that was nice. Even now not as a fan I enjoy going there. Love the hill and appreciate that the fans are generally nice even when stomping us. I've been to every ACC stadium with the exception of recent additions Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and (less recent) Virginia Tech. I've also been to many games at SC, been to UGA , Kansas, Iowa, ECU, and Arizona State. Although I agree Duke is terrible, the worst fan experiences and worst facilities in all sports is consistent BC. All of their facilities are absolute dumps and their fans don't give a crap.

Unless you are referring to the Florida State 30-0 win, no.

No, it was bigger then the FSU game because it was a defacto Atlantic division title game, it was either us or Maryland going to Jacksonville for the ACC title game and it was the perfect spot for us to fall flat and we didn't. Plus, there's no way a game where we were so much better than the other team was that big. Suck it FSU!

Last edited:
I saw Alabama open the season at UCLA in the Rose Bowl in 2000. Tailgated on the fairway of the golf course that sits right beside the stadium. More RVs with Alabama license plates in the parking lot than one could ever imagine seeing in California. There had to have been 25,000 Bama fans behind one of the end zones. Bama's Freddy Milons was a preseason Heisman candidate that year, and after UCLA went three and out on the first possession of the game, he took a punt back toward that Bama section for a TD. Totally awesome.

The rest of the day belonged to UCLA, though. DeShaun Foster ran for about 250 yards that day and UCLA won easily. Still an awesome overall stadium experience.

I have seen several Bama games at both UT & South Carolina over the years but a few years back when Stephen Garcia actually came to play ball for the Cocks, Spurrier's boys beat Saban 35-21 in Williams-Brice with Clowney & Lattimore and that may have been as loud as any stadium I have been to. Been to Michigan when we played in front of about 106,000 years ago with Mike Elkin and they don't hold a candle to stadiums in the south. The Big House is too wide open and sedate where southern stadiums seem to go straight up and the fans get all "juiced" all afternoon.

Come to think of it, I've never had a bad experience with fans at an away game. Considering I've sat in IPTAY seats in Death Valley and Wolfpack Club seats at Carter-Finley, I feel like that's saying something. The worst opposing fan experiences have all been at Wake home games. A few "discussions" with Clemson fans in section 4 at BB&T, had a State fan drive a truck at me in the LJVM parking lot after we beat Russell Wilson his last year there, had Virginia Tech fans show up with bootleg tix to section 4 in 2006 and try to stand right in front of us (my dad almost blew a gasket), and had to sit in an entire section of asshole Cuse fans at the Joel on that icy night a few years back. Not even mentioning experiences with UNC and Duke fans at the Joel as I think that is par for the course for most Wake fans...

Good post, and basically my experience. There were a few exceptions when I was in band (can you imagine an easier target for a verbal epithet or an empty beer can?), but I've been to professional football, hockey, and baseball games in addition to college football/basketball road games in opposing colors and I've never really had a bad experience. Just don't be a douche-rocket and you'll be okay.

The problem with Groves/Joel is we can almost never fill it with our fans, so there will always be a decently high proportion of LCD, mouth-breathing Walmart fans. Add alcohol and Wake sucking like a hoover most of the time, and you get all kinds of assholery from the visitors.

The announced attendance for our game at the Big House in '88 was 102,776. I have a photo of the score board some where with Wake leading 3-0. I'll post it if I can find it. Hail to the Deacs, if your looking for a bad experience I'd say it was wearing Giants gear at the Vet during Buddy Ryan's tenure.

Last edited:
LSU at night is the top of my bucket list. Use to work at Michigan, went to a few games, most notable the one in 2003 when U-M beat Ohio State. At the time, it was the most attended college football game ever, 112,000+. Like Neyland, you were standing sideways, my wife loved it. The weird thing about Michigan Stadium is that it is built into the ground, it's amazing to see, and fun to attend, but for some reason, it never sounds as loud as some other smaller places, although I did talk to one of the App State players who played in that epic upset who said the noise was deafening on the ground.

Yeah, the stadium is a perfect oval, and there's not a bad seat in the house. But it's fairly wide open and never seems that loud in the stands. There isn't an upper deck built right over top of a lower deck. Although I've always wondered if it was incredibly loud on the field where all the sound was converging with that many people.

No, it was bigger then the FSU game because it was a defacto Atlantic division title game, it was either us or Maryland going to Jacksonville for the ACC title game and it was the perfect spot for us to fall flat and we didn't. Plus, there's no way a game where we were so much better than the other team was that big. Suck it FSU!

Alright, I can see that argument. I still think 30-0 was the loudest statement Wake---or any ACC road team in Tally---has ever made on the road. Historically, what bigger ACC road wins come to mind? The statement those guys made---the how when compared to the who and where---was historic. They hand out division titles every year, but no ACC team had ever walked into Tally and kicked Bowden's dog right in the snout quite like Phons in the open field.

Have been to:

All the ACC schools minus Cuse and L'ville
Rutgers
Michigan
Michigan State
EMU
Ohio
Cincinnati
Have been outside the stadium for an OSU game. Don't care to go back, even to the inside.

My least favorite experience was Rutgers, but granted it was the 1998 game versus Wake when both teams royally stunk, it rained all afternoon, and there were about 200 people there.

Favorite venue (after Wake, of course) is Notre Dame. Even in years when they're "down," a game there is a real experience. Michigan's a close second, because Ann Arbor is awesome, especially on a game day.

I still have yet to make it to an SEC game.

Rose Bowl was meh.
Auburn was good, not great.
Blacksburg night game with Mike Vick was nuts.
Underrated stadium is Scott in Hoo-ville. The CAMPUS (eat it, donks) is beautiful and the stadium is no exception.

Always wanted to go to Clemson and FSU.

Been to UNC, Duke, ECU, and State games basketball and football and my worst stadium experience was with douchebag Notre Dame frat boys in the Wake student section. Didn't know if they were Wake students or visitors, but they were fucking awful.

Best: Kyle Field, Vaught-Hemingway, Bryant-Denny, Cotton Bowl
Worst: Floyd Casey, Wallace Wade
Sentimental Favorites: Ownby

Alright, I can see that argument. I still think 30-0 was the loudest statement Wake---or any ACC road team in Tally---has ever made on the road. Historically, what bigger ACC road wins come to mind? The statement those guys made---the how when compared to the who and where---was historic. They hand out division titles every year, but no ACC team had ever walked into Tally and kicked Bowden's dog right in the snout quite like Phons in the open field.

I can agree it was probably the biggest "statement" road win. I think what was on the line in the UMd game made it a bigger game, but we made a heck of a statement in Tally.

In second place I'll nominate Duke beating Clemson in 1980. Ben Bennett threw the ball all over the place on mini white football giveaway day. It looked like a snow storm at the end.

Went to UNC-S. Car in '13 which was pretty damn cool, right in South Carolina's heyday. Only SEC venue I've been to -- need to go to more

Best college football atmospheres I've seen: Texas, LSU (Saturday night: LSU vs UK with Tim Couch), Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee, Michigan (vs Notre Dame), USC, Wisconsin, Notre Dame (vs Michigan), Sugar Bowl (Alabama vs Miami title game), Rose Bowl (Jan 1> UCLA home games), Washington, Navy, UVa, Air Force.

Worst: Temple, Northwestern, Duke, Illinois

Back