• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stadium Experiences

Too bad, you missed perhaps the greatest Iron Bowl ever complete with full stadium Rammer Jammer singing by just one year.

No doubt one of the best Iron Bowls and probably one of the best college football games in history. Definitely one of the best final plays in history.

Old Comiskey and Old Tiger Stadium were both legit, glad I got to go to both.

The original Yankee Stadium in August 1961 when Maris and Mantle were chasing Ruth. Each hit a home run. Day games and night games were totally different because of the composition and size of the crowd. I also watched Lou Brock become the last of five players to hit a home run to dead center field in the Polo Grounds in the Mets inaugural season. Hit the wall behind the clubhouse. The front of the clubhouse was 475' from home plate. The centerfielder never moved.

I probably saw 100 games at the old Yankee stadium, including several World Series games (my dad was a partner in a firm that had 6 box seats about 10 rows behind the visitor's dougout). Favorites are seeing Mantle hit his 500th HR and him beating the Cards in game 3 of the '64 WS, on a knuckle ball from Barney Schultz that didn't knuckle.

I also was at Giants Stadium for The Miracle of the Meadowlands. My brother had season tickets and I attended maybe one game every other year. I don't think the Giants won any of the games I was there for. Hell, the next time I was at a game following the Miracle, the guys in the neighboring seats booed me when we came in.

I probably saw 100 games at the old Yankee stadium, including several World Series games (my dad was a partner in a firm that had 6 box seats about 10 rows behind the visitor's dougout). Favorites are seeing Mantle hit his 500th HR and him beating the Cards in game 3 of the '64 WS, on a knuckle ball from Barney Schultz that didn't knuckle.

I also was at Giants Stadium for The Miracle of the Meadowlands. My brother had season tickets and I attended maybe one game every other year. I don't think the Giants won any of the games I was there for. Hell, the next time I was at a game following the Miracle, the guys in the neighboring seats booed me when we came in.

My dad grew up in the NYC area a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, so naturally he raised me a Yankee hater. We used to go into Yankee Stadium 10 or 12 times a year and root for whomever the Yankees were playing. My fondest memory is seeing game 5 of the 1964 World Series with my dad and his dad. When Cardinals catcher Tim McCarver hit a 3-run HR in the top of the 10th that would be the winner, my grandfather stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs. Great memory!

My dad grew up in the NYC area a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, so naturally he raised me a Yankee hater. We used to go into Yankee Stadium 10 or 12 times a year and root for whomever the Yankees were playing. My fondest memory is seeing game 5 of the 1964 World Series with my dad and his dad. When Cardinals catcher Tim McCarver hit a 3-run HR in the top of the 10th that would be the winner, my grandfather stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs. Great memory!

Ha, I didn't see that one, but was there for game 4 (the only back to back series games I ever attended). Ken Boyer's grand slam broke my 15 year old heart. McCarver talks about game 3 in this piece:
http://www.si.com/mlb/2010/10/29/micky-mantlebook

edit - I was a Dodgers fan until they moved to LA. I traded my love for Duke Snider to Yogi, then The Mick.

Last edited:
Walk three blocks. Take the Central Park Ave bus to the end of the line. Walk one block. Take the Woodlawn station train to Yankee Stadium. Cost $1.00 round trip. Buy a ticket. Watch a Yankee afternoon game and quietly root for the opponent. After awhile the quality of Yankee baseball made me a fan. That '61 team was as good as it gets.

I'm trying to make it to every SEC football stadium and so far I've been to: Vandy, Tenn, Kentucky, South Carolina,Missouri, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, and LSU. Going to MIss St. this year. Best one, not suprisingly, was a night game at LSU. My favorite part of that was when a ten year girl ran up to us and screamed in our faces "TIGER BAIT!" I have never had one single problem with opposing fans in all of these places despite wearing opposing team colors and I agree with the principle of "Don't be a douchbag and fans will be nice to you."

I've been to games at UGA, UF, Ole Miss and Alabama but everyone tells me that LSU night games are the best atmosphere.

I have been to LSU at night, plus games at SoCal, UCLA, Oregon, Ore State, Stanford, Cal, Texas, Notre Dame, Mich State, Michigan, Tenn, Bama, WVU, Va Tech and others in the ACC.

Without a doubt, LSU AT NIGHT is the one college stadium experience you must have before you die.

Of all the others, Southern Cal is another "must do." All the tailgating is on campus and is a great scene. I got a new appreciation for the Trojan band after visiting. The Trojan band played constantly around the campus pre-game.

Last edited:
Alabama's tailgate scene is awesome, and the environment inside the stadium is great, but I was surprised that it wasn't louder than it is. A group of friends and I usually rent out a tent for a tailgate there each year. Great set up, and you can walk around the frat houses with impunity either getting free drinks or buying them from their bartenders. Alabama's band, The Million Dollar Band, is also one of the best in the country, if that interests you.

Went to a Bama home game last fall and could not have been more disappointed. The pre-game activities were nothing special, but the worst let-down was inside the stadium. The band only played at half-time. Rest of the time was a continual, ear-splitting PA system playing a canned "stadium rock" sound track, interspersed with commercials. One of the Bama season ticket holders sitting next to me said that their sports marketing dept. was going for an "NFL stadium" atmosphere with the canned music tracks, and the long-time fans didn't like it. The band has been intentionally pushed aside in favor of canned "stadium rock." Very disappointing.

I have been to LSU at night, plus games at SoCal, UCLA, Oregon, Ore State, Stanford, Cal, Texas, Notre Dame, Mich State, Michigan, Tenn, Bama, WVU, Va Tech and others in the ACC.

Without a doubt, LSU AT NIGHT is the one college stadium experience you must have before you die.

Of all the others, Southern Cal is another "must do." All the tailgating is on campus and is a great scene. I got a new appreciation for the Trojan band after visiting. The Trojan band played constantly around the campus pre-game.

If been catching SC at ND the last half dozen times. After the game, the band comes down to the visiting corner (same side as Deac fans are seated). They'll play 10 or so songs, with the song girls dancing along, and then march out of the stadium to their bus, which was about half way to where my car was parked. Classic "Old School" feel.

Needless to say you all are missing the experience of the Wrigley Field of college football during highly attended nonconference matchups like Presbyterian or Elon with say 14,000 screaming fans present and accounted for.

I saw Ricky Williams break the career rushing record at Royal Stadium against A & M and it was the loudest fucking thing I've ever heard. Texas won on a last second field goal too.

Sanford, but it has to be be a quality opponent.

Agreed. The Cocktail Party is really fun mostly for the party atmosphere outside the stadium. But being in Athens on a big gameday weekend combined with how impressive Sanford Stadium is for big games puts it over the top.

Back