• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccinating

ThinkingWithMyDeac

Reaction score
Figured the best place to put this is the Tunnels. I was sent a report today that reminded me the importance of this topic. This also isn't the usual vaccinate your kids plea but instead the vaccinate yourself as an adult. Immunity wanes overtime for many different things as all vaccines are not created equal and the report I'm looking at has abysmal vaccination rates in adults.

The vaccination rate for all adults over 19 years of age for influenza is 43.2%. Pneumococcal vaccination is 20.3% overall and 61.3% over the age of 65. Overall for Tetanus 62.2%, pertussis 20.1%, HepA 9%, HepB 24.5%, shingles 27.9%, HPV 19-26yr olds 40%.

Most people probably don't think about vaccines except for with children but as an adult you have the power to protect yourself and others. The rates are awful and it's completely our own doing from individuals, to government, to healthcare workers. Figured a different topic and a PSA in the midst of all this election crap.

well yeah but i mean what about the autism?

Should be mandatory for all US residents, medical exemptions aside

religious exemptions are obviously ridiculous and should be ended immediately

/thread

Should be mandatory for all US residents, medical exemptions aside

religious exemptions are obviously ridiculous and should be ended immediately

/thread

Agreed. No reason to not vaccinate if you're medically able.

Sent from my Motorola Startac using Tapatalk

The question is for the people on this thread, do you know your vaccination status for all those that I listed. I think the problem is that unless it's pushed by medical providers people won't think about it at all.

Most people don't even have childhood records I would imagine. When we went to India six years ago I pretty much caught up on where I should be with all of them, if I hadn't traveled somewhere with CDC recommended stuff, I probably would still be out of date.

Question for TWMD - aren't some of those only recommended for persons with risk factors by the CDC? I haven't had the shingles, pnumonia or HPV vaccines, but am up to date on all of the rest. I believe I'm beyond the age for the HPV one though. And this is probably a stupid question, but is shingles the same as chicken pox or is it a separate vaccine? I didn't get the chicken pox vaccine because I had it (a terrible case of it) as a kid.

Yeah a couple of those are age specific, like HPV you want to get under the age of 26 to be most effective unless your rocking out as a 40 year old virgin. Shingles is different than chicken pox and mostly good idea for people 50+ or so. Though shingles can appear earlier so it's not the worst idea to get what amounts to a booster. Pneumonia is mostly for the elderly unless compromised immune system. The ones that most people need are HepA which if you travel anywhere I'd get. Then most people had as a child MMR probably need a booster, especially most people never finish the three shot regiment and obviously don't have access to childhood records. Also Tdap which will cover tetanus and others like pertussis that wane, especially if you ever interact with babies. That should be every 10 years. The Tdap, HepA, and MMR are the three I'd say are most important and neglected that aren't necessarily age specific.

You're immune from Chicken Pox if you had it, right?

Don't have shingles or HPV.

Sent from my Motorola Startac using Tapatalk

Yeah immune from chicken pox if you've had it before but not necessarily immune from the chicken pox from reactivating and giving you shingles.

Seems as thought the lack of push from healthcare providers is the bigger issue with adults, no? Or lack of educational campaigns?

I got TDap in 2013 and this year because of pregnancy (hubs and parents and inlaws got it in 2013 too), but neither my PCP or my OB ever mention or recommend the others. Although as stated above, some of that is age-related.

Sad that vaccination even needs to be discussed on a politics board. The Italians seem to be intent on winning the first ever national Darwin Award.

Back