• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Seriously?

Just think about what you wrote. Like him or hate him, you still have to do the news straight or, why bother. Just call the news an opinion piece.

That's what the entire thread is about.

When do you "report the news", and when do you call a dangerous maniac a dangerous maniac instead of "reporting the news"?

Trump is not Hitler, he's not even close. He's just a narcissistic, low self-esteem, businessman, who probably thought running for POTUS would be like every other business endeavor he has ever undertaken.

If you could provide when whatever Trump is becomes something trending towards Hitler/when we will know it, that would be great.

That's the entire basis behind this question and the original post.

I imagine people gathering around their radios in the 30's and early 40's saying "if they could just report what Hitler is doing instead of providing their own take on it then that would be great!!!"

DAMN LIBERAL NAZI BIAS!!!

Last edited:
That's what the entire thread is about.

When do you "report the news", and when do you call a dangerous maniac a dangerous maniac instead of "reporting the news"?

Trump is not Hitler, he's not even close. He's just a narcissistic, low self-esteem, businessman, who probably thought running for POTUS would be like every other business endeavor he has ever undertaken.

If you could provide when whatever Trump is becomes something trending towards Hitler/when we will know it, that would be great.

That's the entire basis behind this question and the original post.

I imagine people gathering around their radios in the 30's and early 40's saying "if they could just report what Hitler is doing instead of providing their own take on it then that would be great!!!"

DAMN LIBERAL NAZI BIAS!!!

I suppose this question would have seemed more sincere had you asked it about Hillary and her unprecedented level of corruption.

Well the thread is exploring the relationship between modern politics and the media, which is why the thread is titled "role of the media." You can explore any number of aspects of the election for any reason, but Doofus appears to be seeking discussion/clarity/answers about the role of the media not about "Hillary and her unprecedented level of corruption."

Well the thread is exploring the relationship between modern politics and the media, which is why the thread is titled "role of the media." You can explore any number of aspects of the election for any reason, but Doofus appears to be seeking discussion/clarity/answers about the role of the media not about "Hillary and her unprecedented level of corruption."

So you are saying the role of the media is to expose Trump as being unfit for president but it's not the role of the media to expose Hillary's corruption? Not sure I follow that "logic".

So you are saying the role of the media is to expose Trump as being unfit for president but it's not the role of the media to expose Hillary's corruption? Not sure I follow that "logic".

I didn't realize you were talking about the media in the context of Hillary's corruption. Do you not think the server issues, Benghazi, and the Clinton Foundation has been covered extensively by almost every network?

I don't mean to speak for Doofus, but I think he's asking at what point does the media have an obligation to curate what they're putting out there because the rhetoric has extremely dangerous potential. It seems you think that there is no point where the media should not report what a major party nominee says and I think Doofus believes there is some point where the media should not push what a candidate is peddling when it's extreme.

I'm generally in your camp of "just report the news" but I have to admit while I was waiting for a plane a couple weeks ago and saw "CNN Breaking News: Trump says only way he loses is if election is rigged," I rethought my position a little bit. Especially when people around me started having conversations about it and the general consensus was "Trump's right, there's no way Hillary wins a legitimate election."

I think it's irresponsible to broadcast that to a large audience where the message is: if I win the result is legitimate, but if I lose it's because our system is rigged. That's some Latin America strongman shit there. I imagine you think the media not only should, but has an obligation to, report this and run the story.

And the next step for anti-media folks is to complain that media aren't covering how Hillary rigged the election. It's an ugly circle.

And the next step for anti-media folks is to complain that media aren't covering how Hillary rigged the election. It's an ugly circle.

Natural result of the current climate where people reject facts that are objectively proven. See: Obama's birth certificate.

Is people not believing the same things you do really a proper justification for the media to just become liberal propaganda?

If Trump says Obama wasn't born here and Obama has already produced his birth certificate, I don't think the media should continue covering the story even if Trump (or anyone else) keeps saying that Obama is Kenyan. I think they should run a story that says "Trump said X and the birth certificate has been produced" and move on. No need for a two-day "BREAKING NEWS: TRUMP DENIES OBAMA IS AMERICAN CITIZEN" headline and no need to convene a seven-person panel to talk about it.

[/QUOTE]I'm generally in your camp of "just report the news" but I have to admit while I was waiting for a plane a couple weeks ago and saw "CNN Breaking News: Trump says only way he loses is if election is rigged," I rethought my position a little bit. Especially when people around me started having conversations about it and the general consensus was "Trump's right, there's no way Hillary wins a legitimate election."

I think it's irresponsible to broadcast that to a large audience where the message is: if I win the result is legitimate, but if I lose it's because our system is rigged. That's some Latin America strongman shit there. I imagine you think the media not only should, but has an obligation to, report this and run the story.[/QUOTE]

Is it not the media's responsibility to report what Trump actually said and also, perhaps more importantly, to follow up with analysis/reporting of what a "rigged" election result would require, the laws and safeguards in place to prevent it from happening, how often it has provably happened in the past, and the likelihood of its happening now? To those who believe the conspiracy theories the follow-up won't matter, but for the large majority (hopefully) of the voting population, it does matter, a lot. Just putting Trump's quote out there and leaving it at that is, in my opinion, the sign of an irresponsible media that relies on sensationalism. Media that acts like that should be called on it, just as responsible media should call Trump, Clinton, or any other candidate on any outrageous, unsubstantiated, or untrue utterances they may make.

Last edited:
Well they did convene one of their panels to talk about it and did so for an hour or two but the headline on the bottom was constantly there so if you weren't paying attention or were walking by and glanced at the tv then that was all you would get from it.

The two Trump supporters on the panel just kept saying voter fraud is a major issue and that it happens in inner cities at an alarmingly high rate. The result of this narrative being put out there (by Trump and the media) is seen in a recent poll where 50%+ of Republicans now believe that voter fraud is a "major issue" when that's not the reality in the least.

Well they did convene one of their panels to talk about it and did so for an hour or two but the headline on the bottom was constantly there so if you weren't paying attention or were walking by and glanced at the tv then that was all you would get from it.

The two Trump supporters on the panel just kept saying voter fraud is a major issue and that it happens in inner cities at an alarmingly high rate. The result of this narrative being put out there (by Trump and the media) is seen in a recent poll where 50%+ of Republicans now believe that voter fraud is a "major issue" when that's not the reality in the least.

Not having seen the panel discussion, I suppose the discussion may have been good and maybe it did delve more deeply into the "rigged elections" issue, but color me skeptical when I guess that the panel didn't really do that. Allowing panelists to make comments like "voter fraud is a major issue and that it happens in inner cities at an alarmingly high rate" without substantiation is irresponsible. My guess is that the Clinton supporter's statements also went unchallenged if/when they made similar claims. Meanwhile, the sensational crawl still ran, and the band played on.

I suppose this question would have seemed more sincere had you asked it about Hillary and her unprecedented level of corruption.

Has the media not covered her "unprecedented level of corruption"?

I believe the media should cover all angles of all candidates. Where have I stated otherwise?

Has the media not covered her "unprecedented level of corruption"?

I believe the media should cover all angles of all candidates. Where have I stated otherwise?

If you wanted to use the standard you brought up, they would editorialize that Hillary is too corrupt to be president or to just state what she says at face value.

If you wanted to use the standard you brought up, they would editorialize that Hillary is too corrupt to be president or to just state what she says at face value.

What does "too corrupt to be president" mean?

Fox News already pushes that all the time.

Back