• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

The Real World person who bought Khyber Pass has to be in consideration. After over 125 years, he truly fucked it up. Even took down the brass plaques of those who had partaken in all the beers for over a century.

Perp walking has been mentioned in .052% of all RJ posts, thank you for subscribing to RJ facts.

Letter to editor in today’s w-sj...

News defense

The news is not fake. The press is not our enemy.

Constantly maligned, rarely appreciated, best describes how the press is treated in America. The free press’ status as “protected” was, and still is, the genius stroke penned into the Constitution. No democratic government can survive without constantly monitoring its leaders’ handling of the truth.

The founders could not have predicted how unhinged, untruthful and tribal electronic media would become. Whatever one professes as “the truth” now has a forum, website or post. OK, guilty. This is the lament of an old man. I still read old school, “hard-copy” forums: The New Yorker, Harper’s, The Smithsonian, The Atlantic, the New York Times, The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and the Winston-Salem Journal. Sure, I check my I-phone for stories, but invariably depend on all the above-mentioned sources, which now are online.

Why? All of these sources are vetted, demand verification and multiple sources. Rooting out the truth, a.k.a. journalism, is hard and demanding. Sure, I may be an old man standing in his front yard ranting about the new kid tearing up his carefully manicured lawn. Still, it seems that something is very wrong in America when the facts of a news story are in a constant state of flux.

Tribalism festers, breeds and flourishes when the facts of an event become a mirror of a personal or political motive. When everyone is telling the truth, then no one is wrong. Tribalism quickly turns into chaos, or worse: tyranny.

Gary Bolick

Clemmons

That’s a good letter.

Last edited:
A good example of why The NY Times sucks is this tweet:

200124113534-pew-research-news-sources-exlarge-169.jpg

According to that poll, there are 13 news sources that at least 35% of Democrats and liberals trust, and 6 sources that are over 50%. Conservatives trust one source - Fox News. Really telling as to which side looks at a variety of news sources, and which side settles for being spoon-fed their world view by one source.

ETA: I was surprised by the rating for NPR too.

Not really. Look at it again. The top sources are all TV except for MSNBC. The low rating is more a factor of people not reading papers and listening to radio as often as they watch news on TV.

The electronic and print media have failed miserably. This isn't a difficult story, but the media has failed to tell it properly. Outlets in red states are too cowardly to tell it.

Definitely hate but he certainly helped change the path of this country.

as soon as a republican realizes what a corrupt piece of shit Donald Trump is they become a liberal hack in B RADS world

Back