• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Ben Shapiro resigned too.

The funniest part about these idiots is they have some of the largest platforms in all of media

They will write something awful without any editorial oversight and get yelled at on twitter and they equate that with a first amendment violation or cancel culture

I don’t agree with everything Bill Kristol or George Will or William F Buckley or whoever the fuck writes in the WSJ or anywhere so long as they aren’t also aggrieved about being deplatformed because their grandkids stop following them on Facebook or they don’t get invited to Harvard one time

Andrew Sullivan does 19th century race science and got some mild criticism and completely lost his mind about it

It’s once again emblematic to me that the GOP controls courts everywhere, all three branches, tons of state legislatures and govts, control most business interests and run the military BUT they’ve utterly lost the culture war and for the conservatives that write or go on tv to talk about it, it’s all they can talk about, the symbolic power of culture (ignoring all the actual power they have)

Remarkable

This shit is never not going to be funny to me, this persecution complex in the middle of an unprecedented American crisis they can’t see past the end of their face

Can't wait for the resignation letter about how he suppressed his own free speech to appease the liberal mob.

also didn't she allege she was a victim of a mob mentality and bullying? that's a totally different story than her being forced out because she was changing the orthodoxy and groupthink. culture warrior lifestyle is so well paid but it must be EXHAUSTING to keep up with the mental gymnastics.

That's the thing though, no need to keep up! The arguments don't have to be consistent. Or make sense. Just throw everything out there and let people grasp onto whatever hits home for them.

That's the thing though, no need to keep up! The arguments don't have to be consistent. Or make sense. Just throw everything out there and let people grasp onto whatever hits home for them.

The tropes need to be consistent.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-left-is-now-the-right

I guess this is the right thread for this. I think Taibbi does a good job of pointing out some of the absurdities created by the far left that are truly illiberal and counter productive. The vitriol over the Harper's letter, the Princeton letter, and the insane graphic from the Museum of African American History are only going to turn away people who actually value free speech and discourse, and add fuel to the fire of the woke mob.

The Harper's letter was ridiculous. Nothing screams "I'M BEING SILENCED" like a letter published in Harper's that generates controversy.

Taibbi is gonna be the first lefty guy to fully transition into right-grifter.

When it comes to protecting liberalism, I'll put my trust in Noam Chomsky and Malcom Gladwell over PH and Townie, with all due respect of course.

Lol the “being silenced” crowd all enjoy some of the largest platforms in all of media

It’s a way of turning a material crisis into a symbolic one, the only thing these intellectuals know how to do

I thought I posted this here, but perhaps I didn't. This is my favorite read on the Harper's letter.
https://medium.com/more-of-a-comment/strawberry-letter-d278dd1342e0

I also know that this is the most diverse and democratic era of U.S. public life that has ever existed, ever. People are speaking for themselves, with different degrees of articulateness, about the issues they care about. This phenomenon can annoy, but it is never a distraction from liberalism. It is the very liberalism that The Letter declares endangered.
These public actions are also more than liberalism. They are radical. That is good because these radical speech acts educated enough people to flood streets in big cities and small towns and exurbs and map dots all over the country for almost two straight months. Actual people have been doing direct democratic action, radicalized by people speaking directly to people. It is messy, and it is better than the alternative where we debate free speech but never use it.
I have been on the internet a long time. Because of this, I know the difference between cancelling and unsubscribing. The Letter is confused about the distinction. It is important. Maybe those folks should spend more time on the internet.

hell yeah wokelaw with the IDW-adjacent takes

gotta start posting some James Lindsay stuff next to keep it rolling

the most shocking thing about the Harpers Letter is that Bret Stephens didn't sign it

Back