• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

The future of Olbermann

latest

The role of the media, is to STFU!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/b...ews-media.html

“The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile,” Mr. Bannon said during a telephone call.

“I want you to quote this,” Mr. Bannon added. “The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”

Asked if he was concerned that Mr. Spicer had lost credibility with the press, Mr. Bannon chortled. “Are you kidding me?” he said. “We think that’s a badge of honor. ‘Questioning his integrity’ — are you kidding me? The media has zero integrity, zero intelligence, and no hard work.”

He has the same childish temperament as his boss. Kids rarely speak in such absolutes as these guys. They are willing to throw the baby and the entire tub out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
Yup...and this is why it's important for the media to keep doing what they are doing.

We are headed pretty quickly towards a state run media organization (not surprising given the possible ties between Trump and Russia). Given the #AlternateFacts that are being thrown out there all over the place it is causing chaos as to what the actual truth is. A chaos that I'm sure would be quickly resolved by the aforementioned state run media organization.

If anybody has any questions about how fascism starts this is a great example right before our eyes.

The media mediates information flow between organizations and an audience. In that way, one part of a journalist's job is to question and reveal dominant power structures. Because the White House is a major organization of political power in this country, journalists will always attempt to question and reveal information regarding the administration's operation. Like satellites revolving around a planet's mass, there is a social gravity that draws journalists to question and reveal what's happening in Trump's White House. This attraction has occurred since George Washington was elected, and will continue long after Trump departs. That Bannon has worked in media for this long and still doesn't understand this is asinine. What a tool.

"The media" which does not include the media organization Bannon formerly(?) ran

I look forward to Sailor's swift condemnation in light of his earlier views on censorship.

Can't wait, snowflake.

“I want you to quote this,” Mr. Bannon added. “The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”

:golfclap:

Posted this elsewhere too but curious to know what the media should do when Trump tells obvious lies:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/01/26/trump-murder-rate-philadelphia/

I don't feel like writing my thesis yet, but essentially they have two choices - acknowledge/confront the error and publish logos or neutrally report the statement as it was delivered. The former are getting called out for "alternative truths" and the latter are either examples of lazy, frightened, or (worst) compliant journalism.

Last edited:
If you haven't already everybody should watch The Newsroom. Prescient as hell through season one.

Back