• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Not entirely true. Talk radio and internet sources would have filled the void. Though with the #olds Fox News is literally always on their TV.

Fox News sort of brings them all together though and validates them. Without it, they would just be a bunch of disparate websites (I did not say "desperate") and random talk radio shows. They would still have their followers but not to the extent that Fox News has solidified them. Beyond that, Fox News has just hammered away at persistent "Bias Alerts" and "Fair and Balanced" and "Mainstream Media" issues in a way that the others may have tried but didn't do so as forcefully. There is also a level of money and sophistication in the Fox News presentation that doesn't exist in the other sites/radio shows. The misleading headlines, the outright almost non-existent coverage of certain issues (i.e. the Flynn resignation merited only a small byline and not a headline on the Fox website). Plus, it's on TV, for ease of reference.

Last edited:
What's scary is people can't see with their own eyes how crazy and dangerous he is.

Last edited:
The other news sources dd all they needed to do to make them untrustworthy themselves. Serious question do you find CNN, MSNBC etc... to be trustworthy? I

I don't really watch MSNBC or read much Huff Post because I think they're a little further out there. CNN I think tries to stay in the middle for the most part. I think CNN is quite credible and does not need a credibility watch thread.

I don't watch MSNBC other than Morning Joe every now and then.

I've always found CNN, while over the top at times (not in a partisan manner, just a grandiose one), credible.

I've read this question several times and I'm still not sure what it's asking:

"Do you believe that contrary to what the media says, raising taxes does not create jobs?"

Elements of Style likely advocates the use of a second comma does it not? Before contrary?

I've read this question several times and I'm still not sure what it's asking:

"Do you believe that contrary to what the media says, raising taxes does not create jobs?"

Elements of Style likely advocates the use of a second comma does it not? Before contrary?

I got tripped up on the same question. I get the gist of what its asking, but its very awkwardly worded. I think its the use of the essential double negative of "contrary to . . . does not."

Even with the apositive removed it's difficult to think about to me. Maybe I'm just tired.

"Do yo believe raising taxes does not create jobs?"

Even then the question in and of itself is ridiculous.

Good to see Trump and his staff writing push polls instead of actually solving problems. Well done.

I took the so-called survey. Multiple times I chose "Other" and wrote in "Leading question". That's not a survey, that's a gratuitous pat on the back written so that Trump can feel better about himself and angry alt-righters can bitch and moan about the "biased" media.

Tried to complete the survey, but they weren't taking submissions from Ivana Tinkle with "Piss Monster" written in every question. When I used a non golden shower themed name, got directed to a donation page.

Honestly, those questions are so poorly written that they'll probably confuse the intended audience. Trump can't even push poll right.

Last edited:

That is your takeaway from today?

The media has abdicated its role in responsible fact checking for a long time. The reason they have little credibility right now is because they are being hypocritical. They are exactly right to malign Trump, but their voice would be heard much louder if they had acted responsibly for the past decade and a half. That is my take away. The media is going crazy because half the country has tuned them out and is listening to Trump's lies. A large part of the reason why people aren't listening to the mass media is because the mass media hasn't been in the truth business for a long time. They have been in the opinion business. Now they are trying to sell themselves as truth, when half the country sees them as opinion. That is a difficult transition.

It is sad that it took Donald trump for people to figure out the media has been failing them for a long time. Conservatives have been singing this song for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring the post you made earlier in the day.

The media has abdicated its role in responsible fact checking for a long time. The reason they have little credibility right now is because they are being hypocritical. They are exactly right to malign Trump, but their voice would be heard much louder if they had acted responsibly for the past decade and a half. That is my take away. The media is going crazy because half the country has tuned them out and is listening to Trump's lies. A large part of the reason why people aren't listening to the mass media is because the mass media hasn't been in the truth business for a long time. They have been in the opinion business. Now they are trying to sell themselves as truth, when half the country sees them as opinion. That is a difficult transition.

link to the "little credibility" numbers?

Back