• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Thanks for those. I'll have to look through them when I have more time.

At face value not one of them seems to stack up to Donald Trump's "build a wall and they'll pay for it", or "pull out of NATO and the WTO".

Why not? They all have a close to 0% possibility of actually happening. You may disagree with Trump's more, but that doesn't mean Obama's were any more likely to be fulfilled.

David Duke Endorsing Trump Got Six Times More Coverage than Terrorist’s Father Endorsing Hillary
When a white supremacist endorsed Trump, the broadcast networks blamed Trump for it. But when the radical father of a terrorist endorsed Hillary and showed up in the front row of one of her rallies, these same networks quickly dismissed it as nothing worth worrying about.

During the first three days of coverage after David Duke, a white supremacist and former leader of the KKK, endorsed Donald Trump back in February, the evening news shows on ABC, CBS and NBC devoted 11 minutes and 35 seconds to bashing Trump for not immediately denouncing Duke, after he already had.

But when the father of the Orlando terrorist, who himself openly supports the Taliban, showed up in the front row of a Hillary Clinton rally and vocally endorsed her, those same shows on ABC and CBS quickly dismissed it as a coincidence, giving it only 1 minutes 54 seconds of coverage on August 9. NBC went a step further and failed to cover Seddique Mir Mateen attending Hillary’s rally at all until the following day, when they gave it a whopping 18 seconds of coverage. ABC and CBS didn’t mention this story at all on August 10.
Mateen%20Coverage%20Chart.JPG

To add to the scandal, part of the purpose of the Orlando rally for Hillary that Mateen attended was to remember the victims of the massacre that his son had caused.

The content of the coverage is every bit as biased as the time difference. When Duke endorsed Trump, the outcry from the media was immediate. In stark contrast, when Mateen showed up at Hillary’s rally, the networks immediately dismissed it as coincidence.

“So, how did he get this prime spot?” ABC correspondent Cecilia Vega asked as she wrapped her coverage of the incident, “Secret service telling us Mateen passed through metal detectors like everyone else. Clinton's aides will only say, ‘This individual wasn't invited as a guest and the campaign was unaware of his attendance until after the event.’”

CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley was even more dismissive of this incident, spending a brief 24 seconds on the topic before moving on to hype “divisions in the GOP,” “Clinton opened a rally near Orlando yesterday by paying tribute to the 49 people who were murdered in June at the pulse nightclub. Well, it turns out just a few feet away, wearing a red hat, was Seddique Mateen, the father of the Orlando gunman. Today, the Clinton campaign said Mateen was not invited to the event, the event was open to the public.”

In contrast, on March 1, ABC anchor Tom Llamas described Duke’s endorsement as “the moment that’s jolted the Republican party.” Host Lester Holt led the February 29 NBC Nightly News with “in an election season filled with head-shaking moments, spray tans, the KKK and ear piece malfunctions are among the topics driving the conversation about the Republican race.” Not once did any of the networks even imply that Mateen was “driving the conversation about the Democratic race.”

After minimal coverage on the three broadcast networks, this story was dropped in favor of much-more-appealing-to-the-media Trump controversies. Back during March, the only thing that caused a drop in the Duke endorsement coverage (although it didn’t stop it completely) was the Super Tuesday primary voting on March 1.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/mike-ciandella/2016/08/11/david-duke-endorsing-trump-got-more-six-times-coverage-terrorists

What is "self unaware" about it? I asked a question and stated what I thought while noting that I am likely biased as to how the media is handling the current Election coverage due to my absolutely hatred of Donald Trump.

I think it is a very self aware thread, and thought you framed the question well. Some of the responses to your question have been substantially less thought out. You asked a nuanced, interesting question and some of the responses were: "because what I believe is the truth". That kind of response is pretty much what got us in this mess and allows a person like trump and Hillary for that matter to exist within their own political bubble unharmed. Their supporters just claim "I'm right your wrong" and their media reinforces them. PH's response encapsulates almost perfectly what is wrong with our political dialogue and reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling people what they want to hear is a good business model.

Biased anti-Trump mainstream media. Hillary voters will defend:
Gqmo5es.jpg

he said he was being sarcastic with the Obama is the founder of ISIS comment. NBC apparently wasn't sure whether or not he would walk back this ridiculous statement as well.

Drudge is at almost 1.5 billion pages served- his most ever. Maybe more people are turning away from the MSM for some reason.

Probably because Trump has marketed himself as the one truth teller in a sea of liars, and approximately 33% of the electorate needs to live in a confirmation bubble which refuses to call out the insanity of blatant lies.

And this ties back to what 2&2 was saying before. In saying Obama and Trump equally lie, he cited an organization to prove his point, which factually debunks that and illustrates the two aren't in the same stratosphere re: truthfulness.

Every politician lies. If you want to walk back that statement and say Obama lies less often but lies about /bigger/ things, that's nonsense, but fine (Trump's lies transcend the spectrum and cover every major policy position). Obama's lies and politicians of his ilk are twisting policy minutiae or promoting policy points that aren't going to get passed. That is different from Trump saying "A", someone reports verbatim "A" and then Trump drones on about the dishonest media lying by regurgitating his exact words.

Trump is in uncharted waters when it comes to dishonesty. Unfortunately we live in such a polarized and partisan society that people bend over backwards to set up false equivalencies to make themselves feel better. HRC is dishonest - I don't like her. That doesn't mean she lies at even an approachable rate to Trump.

Brought to you by someone who would've voted for Kasich over HRC, so kindly light on fire any DemBot argument before it's made.

If I had the cash, I'd push a second right network, even harder. Nationalistic, hard xenophobe. Criticizing RINOs endlessly. Hannity, first hire. Coulter, number 2.

Then the other thing I'd do is have a Super PAC (set up from someone else, of course) and use three levels to pour money to moderate R's and Hillary. By losing, I'd play into the myth of "not conservative enough" without espousing a single conservative thought. Fox already has the R's, force them to go hard right and if they do, swing to pick up Megyn Kelley and line up the establishment. If not,go full Buchanan.

My ratings would more than pay for the investment. My shareholders would love it.

At least in Europe the networks and papers admit their target audiences.

Harding, Nixon, Clinton (Bill). No one is breaking any records on lying anytime soon.

The great joke is Hillary was on the Watergate staff (with Weld) and Trump lauded her for three decades after her work.

Last edited:
Harding, Nixon, Clinton (Bill). No one is breaking any records on lying anytime soon.

The great joke is Hillary was on the Watergate staff (with Weld) and Trump lauded her for three decades after her work.

Johnson, Weld 2016

Probably because Trump has marketed himself as the one truth teller in a sea of liars, and approximately 33% of the electorate needs to live in a confirmation bubble which refuses to call out the insanity of blatant lies.

And this ties back to what 2&2 was saying before. In saying Obama and Trump equally lie, he cited an organization to prove his point, which factually debunks that and illustrates the two aren't in the same stratosphere re: truthfulness.

Every politician lies. If you want to walk back that statement and say Obama lies less often but lies about /bigger/ things, that's nonsense, but fine (Trump's lies transcend the spectrum and cover every major policy position). Obama's lies and politicians of his ilk are twisting policy minutiae or promoting policy points that aren't going to get passed. That is different from Trump saying "A", someone reports verbatim "A" and then Trump drones on about the dishonest media lying by regurgitating his exact words.

Trump is in uncharted waters when it comes to dishonesty. Unfortunately we live in such a polarized and partisan society that people bend over backwards to set up false equivalencies to make themselves feel better. HRC is dishonest - I don't like her. That doesn't mean she lies at even an approachable rate to Trump.

Brought to you by someone who would've voted for Kasich over HRC, so kindly light on fire any DemBot argument before it's made.

Yes. All of this.

Back