• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

My problem with Obama is that his promises were so completely ridiculous when made that they never had any possibility of coming to fruition (similar to Trump). I view that as a worse/bigger lie than something that could actually happen.
Similar to how I view Ron Wellman as a bigger liar for trying to spin Jeff [Redacted] as a good coach than for trying to spin Clawson as a good coach.

If Wellman made good on 70% of promises, he'd have a statue next to the Deacon at BB&T.

My problem with Obama is that his promises were so completely ridiculous when made that they never had any possibility of coming to fruition (similar to Trump). I view that as a worse/bigger lie than something that could actually happen.
Similar to how I view Ron Wellman as a bigger liar for trying to spin Jeff [Redacted] as a good coach than for trying to spin Clawson as a good coach.

Can you provide 5 examples that were as ridiculous as Trump's?

Ten minutes of the Clinton News Network shutting off the mics of those who dare to criticize Hillary:

Meanwhile, Don Lemon's 3 most recent tweets. Biased? Nahhhhhh:
Seriously, if you had a TV or radio station, wouldn't your first concern be ad dollars?

doofus, also factor in a totally obstructionist Congress. He made the proposals only to have them killed.

Like ACA or not, it was the #1 campaign promise and it got done. #2 was the Stimulus. It got done and worked. #3 was saving the US auto industry. It got done and saved millions of jobs.

How did a valid discussion about the role of the media turn into a pissing match about Obama's campaign promises from eight years ago?

The problem with "reporting the truth" is when the truth isn't convenient - say, the circumstances leading up to the Iraq War, Bill Clinton being a rapist, or who the people were that sexually assaulted women at a German New Year's celebration, they just don't report it at all.

Can you provide 5 examples that were as ridiculous as Trump's?

Ridiculous in terms of their likelihood to actually be feasible? I'll give you more than 10 just from that site:

1. Obviously, if you like your plan you can keep your plan. This was not feasible under any concept of Obamacare.
2. $60 billion National Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank. Yeah, okay.
3. Allow imported prescription drugs. How badly were those Chinese factories that make the knockoff Louis Vuttons and Oakleys salivating at that one? Eh, it's a blue pill, how bad can it be suck it down, no worries, i'm sure it's correct.
4. Eliminate all oil and gas tax loopholes. That should breeze right through in our current political structure, right?
5. Give businesses owned by disabled people preference for federal contracts. WTF? Why? And, no.
6. Require employers to provide seven paid sick days per year. All employers would be jumping to comply with this.
7. Expose special interest tax breaks to public scrutiny. This doesn't even make any sense. How would he define special interest and how would he define a tax break?
8. Double the federal funding for charter schools. And watch Deacon923's head explode.
9. Ban racial profiling by law enforcement agencies. Haha, how did that work out for him? Great job.
10. Allow 5 days of public comment before he would sign any non-emergency bill. Obamacare what? I thought we had to enact it before we could even know what was in it - we should have 5 days for the public to read/comment on it? This is almost the biggest crock of shit of his whole campaign.
11. And the coup de grace, no family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase", despite all of his other proposals that require ungodly amounts of funding and the noncompliance tax provisions built into his own fucking Obamacare. I'll leave this last one right here. "I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." He is a lying piece of shit, on par with Trump.

"if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" wasn't uttered until after the election and Obama was in office.

Just for the record.

The specific emphatic quote might have been after, but he made plenty of similar representations during the campaign that his health insurance program would not affect those who had plans that they liked.

Ridiculous in terms of their likelihood to actually be feasible? I'll give you more than 10 just from that site:

1. Obviously, if you like your plan you can keep your plan. This was not feasible under any concept of Obamacare.
2. $60 billion National Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank. Yeah, okay.
3. Allow imported prescription drugs. How badly were those Chinese factories that make the knockoff Louis Vuttons and Oakleys salivating at that one? Eh, it's a blue pill, how bad can it be suck it down, no worries, i'm sure it's correct.
4. Eliminate all oil and gas tax loopholes. That should breeze right through in our current political structure, right?
5. Give businesses owned by disabled people preference for federal contracts. WTF? Why? And, no.
6. Require employers to provide seven paid sick days per year. All employers would be jumping to comply with this.
7. Expose special interest tax breaks to public scrutiny. This doesn't even make any sense. How would he define special interest and how would he define a tax break?
8. Double the federal funding for charter schools. And watch Deacon923's head explode.
9. Ban racial profiling by law enforcement agencies. Haha, how did that work out for him? Great job.
10. Allow 5 days of public comment before he would sign any non-emergency bill. Obamacare what? I thought we had to enact it before we could even know what was in it - we should have 5 days for the public to read/comment on it? This is almost the biggest crock of shit of his whole campaign.
11. And the coup de grace, no family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase", despite all of his other proposals that require ungodly amounts of funding and the noncompliance tax provisions built into his own fucking Obamacare. I'll leave this last one right here. "I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." He is a lying piece of shit, on par with Trump.

Thanks for those. I'll have to look through them when I have more time.

At face value not one of them seems to stack up to Donald Trump's "build a wall and they'll pay for it", or "pull out of NATO and the WTO".

CNN diving deep here

yiHy0Ft.png

This actually brings back this thread back around to what I wanted it to be about.

CNN has taken to debunking the things Trump says like this. Primarily because leaving it up there without it could cause less educated people to really feel that way. Is it the media's job to simply say "TRUMP SAID OBAMA IS FOUNDER OF ISIS", or debunk it right away?

This actually brings back this thread back around to what I wanted it to be about.

CNN has taken to debunking the things Trump says like this. Primarily because leaving it up there without it could cause less educated people to really feel that way. Is it the media's job to simply say "TRUMP SAID OBAMA IS FOUNDER OF ISIS", or debunk it right away?

Seems like when it's a clear cut, black and white concept like "only Trump thinks Obama actually founded ISIS", then the media has a duty to report the actual truth (and the fact that a Presidential candidate is actively lying about it). They don't need to say "Trump's a liar" or "Trump's unhinged", because that is commentary. They can just report that Trump said X, when in reality, Y is true.

The majority of topics, however, exist in the gray area between truth and commentary.

If someone reports truth, they're also reporting that someone lied.

Seems like when it's a clear cut, black and white concept like "only Trump thinks Obama actually founded ISIS", then the media has a duty to report the actual truth (and the fact that a Presidential candidate is actively lying about it). They don't need to say "Trump's a liar" or "Trump's unhinged", because that is commentary. They can just report that Trump said X, when in reality, Y is true.

The majority of topics, however, exist in the gray area between truth and commentary.

Agreed.

The media is the 4th branch of government and should strive to inform the public of the actual realities of situations and not just be a distribution channel for lies and information.

Back