• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

so, they'll give money to some foundation, like the Clinton Foundation, and get access that way

How can this be prevented? Require that the candidate remove all ties to a foundation they're a part of, hold the assets they have related to it in a trust, and then what? How do you legally or practically address the issue that setting up and running a major foundation would effectively then preclude you from running for office if there were overarching rules against it? Also I don't see how you could do any of this from a constitutional perspective, especially post-Citizen's United.

How can this be prevented? Require that the candidate remove all ties to a foundation they're a part of, hold the assets they have related to it in a trust, and then what? How do you legally or practically address the issue that setting up and running a major foundation would effectively then preclude you from running for office if there were overarching rules against it? Also I don't see how you could do any of this from a constitutional perspective, especially post-Citizen's United.

I agree with you. Public financing will not solve the problem, and I really don't know how we can solve it.

There is no need to ban it, but there's no reason not to regulate it.

I haven't seen anything about this recently, but I heard on NPR a few months ago that Trump (unlike almost every other candidate over the past half century) did not put his business assets/holdings in a trust. I wonder if that has taken place yet.

that pesky 1st amendment gets in the way

You can't ban people talking about politics on TV in interviews or debates, etc., but a reasonable SC court say political advertising is commerce and ban it. They banned cigarette commercials.

There's nothing in the Constitution guaranteeing you the right to pay for speech.

Will they? no way, but they could.

Ban advertising and media becomes twice as powerful.

so a political commercial is bad but paying to put political commentary on the air is fine? it's a slippery slope is my point.

As I said, it won't happen. But one type of speech is free the other is commerce.

Radio and TV stations would die without it. It won't happen, but regulations are completely legal.

I haven't seen anything about this recently, but I heard on NPR a few months ago that Trump (unlike almost every other candidate over the past half century) did not put his business assets/holdings in a trust. I wonder if that has taken place yet.

For someone like Trump, it would be very hard to put his assets into a blind trust. They work incredibly well with simple investments, but I went through hell trying to get relatively straight forward private equity investments into a blind trust for a senator. I wouldn't want to be the lawyers dealing with that if Trump wins.

For someone like Trump, it would be very hard to put his assets into a blind trust. They work incredibly well with simple investments, but I went through hell trying to get relatively straight forward private equity investments into a blind trust for a senator. I wouldn't want to be the lawyers dealing with that if Trump wins.

His Russian Mafia lenders wouldn't like being known.

Media really doing their job here

RJEY3FM.png

Getting in bed with the Clintons is a thoroughly degrading experience. The Clintons degrade and despoil everything that they touch. They are a modern American embodiment of the degradation of standards.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/american-journalism-is-collapsing-before-our-eyes/

Many people, who might be inclined to vote for a Republican running against Clinton, will not vote for Trump in part because of the degradation of public discourse that he has promoted. Sad to say, there are not many Democrats who will refuse to vote for Clinton because of the degradation that she so ably represents.

Republicans complain about media. Rinse, repeat.

It's like continually fouling and complaining about the refs.

The media has been really soft on Trump. The have barely looked into all the people he's ripped off, or how badly he screwed people in his BKs, no one looked into his other employee's ties to Putin, or even let him off the hook for his tax returns and so much more.

As bad as it has been, he should be thanking the media for being so lazy.

Back