• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

That's the most original thought you have ever had. Unfortunately for you, it's still mistaken.

If you believe lies, truth will seem like lies and neutrality will seem like bias.

You objectively don't like Barack Obama the same way you don't objectively like Donald Trump?

With respect to their campaigns for President, yes. Both of their campaigns are full of shit and cater to the lowest common denominator of their target voter via a strategy of divisiveness, blame, and class warfare.

From a personality standpoint I think Obama would be easier to hang out with and is a nicer guy in general, but both were/are horrible presidential candidates.

I understand that analysis and debate is where news stations become skewed or bias, but personally, I want to hear someone like Michael Hayden's opinion on which candidate would be a greater danger to the country. Nobody knows for sure what will happen, but I would assume Michael Hayden has a much better idea than me or the vast majority of people.

You're certainly not alone in wanting expert opinions, but they're just that - opinions. With specific regard to television, radio, and much of the internet - as opposed to most traditional print - "opinions" are regarded as "news".

The problem here is "what is the truth"?

I think Donald Trump is a danger to society if he is elected POTUS, but that's not an objective truth. There are plenty of people who feel the other way and that Hillary is a threat.

I would argue based on what has been said and demonstrated the past year that Trump is by far the bigger threat and it's not even close, but when some people don't deal in the same reality it's hard to get a hard truth.

The problem is that there is so much variety in sources of information, that people can embed themselves in echo chambers and "inform" themselves through confirmation bias. There's no accountability for FOX News or HuffPo broadcasting blatant distortions of truth and flat-out lies.

This is a very self unaware thread.

What is "self unaware" about it? I asked a question and stated what I thought while noting that I am likely biased as to how the media is handling the current Election coverage due to my absolutely hatred of Donald Trump.

The role of the media (except NRP and PBS, which should be self-funded) is to make a profit for their shareholders, within the bounds of the First Amendment.

Just admit if you are on a side, and almost every paper, network, show and blog has political bias.

Last edited:
In addition to the most obvious "if you like your plan you can keep your plan":

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

Feel free to read all 6 pages' worth.

That's a bit disingenuous considering he has hit on over 70+% of his campaign promises, and a lot of those aren't entirely attributable to him, unless you want MORE executive orders from him, which seems to be something that most Republicans give him a hard time about, despite issuing the least of any two-term POTUS in the past 60 years.

That's a bit disingenuous considering he has hit on over 70+% of his campaign promises, and a lot of those aren't entirely attributable to him, unless you want MORE executive orders from him, which seems to be something that most Republicans give him a hard time about, despite issuing the least of any two-term POTUS in the past 60 years.

He hasn't "hit on over 70% of his campaign promises" by any reading of those stats. His True and Mostly True is under 50% combined. And even if he did, which he didn't, if someone tells you the truth only 70% of the time, would you consider that person honest or a liar?

He hasn't "hit on over 70% of his campaign promises" by any reading of those stats. His True and Mostly True is under 50% combined. And even if he did, which he didn't, if someone tells you the truth only 70% of the time, would you consider that person honest or a liar?

I think we are reading different charts.

From the link of http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/ :

Promise Kept 45%
Compromise 25%
Promise Broken 22%
Stalled 2%
In the Works 6%

I am putting compromising to reach a middle ground in the "completed" and "kept" because that's how politics work. I would do the same for a GOP President as well.

Keeping campaign promises and telling the truth aren't exactly the same thing, and we both know that.

I think we are reading different charts.

From the link of http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/ :

Promise Kept 45%
Compromise 25%
Promise Broken 22%
Stalled 2%
In the Works 6%

I am putting compromising to reach a middle ground in the "completed" and "kept" because that's how politics work. I would do the same for a GOP President as well.

Keeping campaign promises and telling the truth aren't exactly the same thing, and we both know that.

What I'm looking at is:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
The PolitiFact scorecard

True (20%)(121)
Mostly True (28%)(163)
Half True (27%)(158)
Mostly False (12%)(69)
False (12%)(71)
Pants on Fire (2%)(9)

I wouldn't consider a half truth to be a truth. Try telling your wife/gf a half truth and see how that plays out.

And if he didn't want campaign promises to be treated akin to telling the truth, then don't frame them as promises. Frame them as "We will try ...", not "I will". Don't promise what you can't deliver, unless you want to be labeled as a liar. Part of the blame lies with him for his delivery; and part of it lies with the idiots who gobbled it up when clear it was BS from the start.

What I'm looking at is:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
The PolitiFact scorecard

True (20%)(121)
Mostly True (28%)(163)
Half True (27%)(158)
Mostly False (12%)(69)
False (12%)(71)
Pants on Fire (2%)(9)

I wouldn't consider a half truth to be a truth. Try telling your wife/gf a half truth and see how that plays out.

And if he didn't want campaign promises to be treated akin to telling the truth, then don't frame them as promises. Frame them as "We will try ...", not "I will". Don't promise what you can't deliver, unless you want to be labeled as a liar. Part of the blame lies with him for his delivery; and part of it lies with the idiots who gobbled it up when clear it was BS from the start.

Sounds to me like you don't have a problem with Obama specifically, but with all politicians.

Obama is slightly above average for campaign promises kept (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/) looking at 1944-2000.

I wish all of our politicians were completely honest, but we all know that they aren't. Obama rates very similarly to Clinton and Sanders, and ahead of: McConnell, Ryan, Pelosi, and obviously Donald Trump.

I'm not making the case that he is "better" than other politicians and doesn't lie, he clearly stretches the truth, and occasionally outright lies.

Last edited:
Back