• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

So weird because I could have sworn 12 years ago they were really worried Obama was going to create death panels specifically to kill grandma.

It's almost as if everything wrong or bad they accuse Democrats of doing, they're either already doing themselves or are about to. It's like, they're almost projecting what they're doing onto the Democrats. Nah, can't be.

What is the purpose of Meet the Press? Are they intentionally trying to be misleading? They invite Peter Navarro on, one of the dumbest and dishonest people in the admin (which is saying something). At best he’s just going to obfuscate and clog up the show. Then Chuck Todd lobs him softballs! Which Navarro uses to comfortably bullshit and lie. Then Chuck Todd just lets him talk and bullshit and lie, even when he’s obviously bullshitting! No follow ups, no call outs. The whole segment bolstered a shameful, disgusting message as a legitimate viewpoint.

The next segment, which I missed as I frustratedly turned it off, was about people believing weird conspiracies. No wonder they do! You give obvious bullshit a platform, people start to look elsewhere.

What is the purpose of Meet the Press? Are they intentionally trying to be misleading? They invite Peter Navarro on, one of the dumbest and dishonest people in the admin (which is saying something). At best he’s just going to obfuscate and clog up the show. Then Chuck Todd lobs him softballs! Which Navarro uses to comfortably bullshit and lie. Then Chuck Todd just lets him talk and bullshit and lie, even when he’s obviously bullshitting! No follow ups, no call outs. The whole segment bolstered a shameful, disgusting message as a legitimate viewpoint.

The next segment, which I missed as I frustratedly turned it off, was about people believing weird conspiracies. No wonder they do! You give obvious bullshit a platform, people start to look elsewhere.

When I was younger I used to love watching This Week with David Brinkley or Meet the Press with Tim Russert. Russert would ask tough questions to just about everybody who came on the show. I did watch MTP with Todd and This Week with Stephanopoulos for awhile, but I gave up about two years ago and rarely watch them today. Both shows are so obsessed with bosiding everything and "balance" that they rarely call out anyone for obvious crap, and their roundtable discussions are inevitably dominated by right-winger panelists and their talking points (Danielle Pletka, Rich Lowry, Hugh Hewitt, Chris Christie, Pat McCrory, etc.), while they rarely have genuine progressives, but mostly centrists who rarely challenge what the conservatives are saying. And Todd is pretty much useless, imo.

Fox News is beyond the Onion at this point.

Weren't they planning to shift MSNBC right before Trump was elected and all their prime time shows started getting good ratings?

Remember the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they spent on Megyn Kelly?

Weren't they planning to shift MSNBC right before Trump was elected and all their prime time shows started getting good ratings?

Remember the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they spent on Megyn Kelly?

Apparently, that 69-year-old Fox viewing demographic must be more lucrative than I thought. The whole problem with this notion is that those people are locked into Fox, and they'll never abandon it for some pale imitation, especially given that Fox can always outflank any other major network by simply moving even further to the right. The fact that some idiots at MSNBC, CNN, and other "mainstream" news outlets think they can horn in on some of the Fox demographic is a mirage. OAN might be able to, but not them.

What is the NY Times doing promoting Tom Cotton's nonsense unchecked?

Apparently, that 69-year-old Fox viewing demographic must be more lucrative than I thought. The whole problem with this notion is that those people are locked into Fox, and they'll never abandon it for some pale imitation, especially given that Fox can always outflank any other major network by simply moving even further to the right. The fact that some idiots at MSNBC, CNN, and other "mainstream" news outlets think they can horn in on some of the Fox demographic is a mirage. OAN might be able to, but not them.

Yep. The only way to pull them away from Fox is to out Fox them.

If MSNBC wants to be relevant, they need to partner with TikTok and other brands and go hard after the youth market in an authentic way. That’s not as easy as just putting some angry white people on TV to spout nonsense about freedom while calling for the military to tear gas protesters.

Yep. The only way to pull them away from Fox is to out Fox them.

If MSNBC wants to be relevant, they need to partner with TikTok and other brands and go hard after the youth market in an authentic way. That’s not as easy as just putting some angry white people on TV to spout nonsense about freedom while calling for the military to tear gas protesters.

Part of the problem MSNBC and CNN have is that most people under 45 just don't watch TV news that much anymore. I'm over 45 and I barely watch it (I do peruse the websites.) Fox has the viewership and ratings because their aging viewer base still has the habit of watching television news, and they're mostly retired and can watch it all day if they wish. Like you said, if CNN and MSNBC want to gain viewers they need to work harder at finding ways to get younger adults to watch, not going after an aging demographic that's been addicted to Fox for years anyway.

Back