• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

If jhmd were here, he would be so proud of his “Say it louder, Candi” response to this.

he will only reappear when he's learned the lesson of the 2016 election: Trump is the leader and voice of the Republican party

I like the Facts First idea. They could even run the briefings at a 60 sec delay to sync up the facts with her lies.

Something I've been thinking about recently, and figured this thread is as good as any to post it: It's scary how wanton our elected officials are when it comes to who they trust for information. I would have thought the older generation (post 40) would be more scrupulous with regard to their sources since they grew up in a time where most sources were valid. Apparently I was wrong and they just trust everything they read, perhaps because of what I just said. I go back and forth wondering if it will only get worse with generations that have grown up with the internet, or if those generations will be savvy enough to know what's fake since they've dealt with it their whole lives. Is this time period just a blip where people are looking for echo chambers and finding them, or will people always seek that validation?

Tucker Carlson says Trump is ‘not capable’ and hasn’t kept his promises

Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson set straight any misinformation concerning his views on President Trump: “I don’t think he’s capable,” he said during an interview on Tuesday.

Urs Gehriger, an editor at “Die Weltwoche,” Switzerland’s leading German-language opinion weekly, noted that Carlson’s new book, “Ship of Fools,” is silent on Trump but comments on his critics. And so, Gehriger jump-started the conversation by asking what Carlson thought of Trump’s first two years in office.

Carlson said he cannot stand Trump’s self-aggrandizement and boasting. Then, when asked whether Trump has kept his promises, the usually quick-witted and long-winded Carlson had just one word: “No.”

“His chief promises were that he would build the wall, defund Planned Parenthood and repeal Obamacare, and he hasn’t done any of those things,” Carlson said, adding that those goals were probably lost causes. Trump, he said, doesn’t understand the system, and his own agencies don’t support him.

“He knows very little about the legislative process, hasn’t learned anything, hasn’t surrounded himself with people that can get it done, hasn’t done all the things you need to do, so it’s mostly his fault that he hasn’t achieved those things,” he added.

If only there were some people who could have warned Tucker about the Con-In-Chief.

Sounds like the Fox News pivot away from Trump must be starting.

Sounds like the Fox News pivot away from Trump must be starting.

Or Tucker’s contract negotiations might not be going well. The rubes turned on Glen Beck for Trump, they’ll do the same with Tucker.

2018: The Year In Ideas: A Review Of Ideas

That’s why, when Verizon Media Group asked me to curate HuffPost’s 2018: The Year in Ideas: A Review of Ideas, I was honored. But I knew I couldn’t do it alone. So I asked 10 of America’s foremost thought leaders, authors and political figures to help me put together a definitive list.

All of them refused.

Undaunted, I forced a bot to review the collected writings of each person I asked, and then write essays for me. The bot instead crashed a Tesla into a Checkers.

So I wrote them myself.

The following essays and articles are the result of that painstaking process. I hope they inspire you.

The Only Answer To Our Political Problems Is For Me To Do Nothing
By Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.)

Exclusive: Trump Plans Regime Change In France
By Axios

Did Disrespect For Independent Journalists Lose The Midwest For Democrats?
By Salena Zito

“I voted for Obama because I was hoping he’d change things around here, but this year I voted for my Republican congressman because I hate bullies, and that’s what people who accuse rigorously fair reporters of doctoring their interviews with regular Republican voters to sanitize their more extreme or conspiratorial or racist beliefs are: bullies. Furthermore, and unrelatedly, we urgently need to keep supporting Saudi Arabia, as it is the regional power most capable of containing Iran.” And then he drove off before I could get his name, and also my tape recorder wasn’t turned on.

That’s just how it goes in the Rust Belt.

On the subject of news, lol at Chuck Todd. A few weeks ago he was slammed (rightly so) on social media when, during the roundtable discussion on MTP, he asked the panel a question about global warming. Danielle Pletka, one of the snarky, smug, right-wing regulars he loves to have on the panel, proceeded to dominate the discussion by basically saying she wasn't worried about global warming and that the last few winters had been really cold. Todd took lots of flak for not correcting her, and letting her go on and on unchallenged. So, on Sunday's MTP, he devoted the entire episode to global warming, announced at the start that science has reached a consensus about global warming (it exists) and it would not be debated on the show. His roundtable consisted mostly of real scientists and global-warming advocates. I'll give Todd some credit for responding to the criticism leveled against him and having an episode like this, but at the same time I'm sure that we'll see lots more of Pletka and other right-wing shills like Hugh Hewitt on MTP in 2019, and I'm sure that Todd will continue to do little and let them drive the discussion.

Last edited:
1690535.jpg

Back