• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Watched ABC's This Week yesterday, mainly to see AOC's first Sunday morning talk show interview since taking office (the George Stephanopoulos interview with Trump was also interesting at times, such as when Trump told his own Chief of Staff, Mulvaney, to leave the Oval Office because he was coughing too much. LOL. I'm sure that working for Trump must be a wonderful experience.)

Anyway, I thought AOC did quite well in her interview, and was given a good amount of airtime. What I found amusing was that when they went to the roundtable right after the interview, Chris Christie virtually blew a gasket complaining about why a rookie Congresswoman was given so much airtime when "she doesn't know what she's talking about", doesn't have any way to pay for her proposed programs, and he more or less called her a liar and/or stupid. I haven't seen him so animated in quite some time; she clearly gets under his skin. I suspect it's because, even though she's only been in office for six months, she's already far more popular and visible and influential nationally than he ever was, or ever will be.

Last edited:

It still never ceases to amaze me that Republicans whine about the MSM, while Fox News exists and Sinclair requires its news programs to run campaign ads like this during their broadcasts:

It still never ceases to amaze me that Republicans whine about the MSM, while Fox News exists and Sinclair requires its news programs to run campaign ads like this during their broadcasts:

It feeds into the whole "we're under siege, we're the real victims here, we're the brave rebels battling the overwhelming forces of the mainstream librul media" mentality that so many Trumpites have latched onto. I've known conservatives who in past years would actually watch a network news program they hated - such as Dan Rather in his CBS Evening News days - just so they could get worked up into a frenzy of anger and indignation. It makes them feel good to believe they're fighting the lonely but brave battle against the darkness, with only the heroic Fox News as their ally. It's a fantasy, of course, but so are many of their other beliefs these days.

Also, I think many of them are secretly so insecure they can't handle any criticism, so they sneak glances at CNN or MSNBC or any "liberal" outlet to see what they're saying about their Dear Leader and other conservatives. It probably explains why Trump still watches CNN and MSNBC obsessively, and is at least aware of what the NY Times and Washington Post are saying about him. They're all desperate for vindication from the very people they claim to hate.

Wow, 10K RTs! Get scared, Dems!

How is it that Boris Epshteyn has been doing this propaganda for two years and is still so bad at it.

It feeds into the whole "we're under siege, we're the real victims here, we're the brave rebels battling the overwhelming forces of the mainstream librul media" mentality that so many Trumpites have latched onto. I've known conservatives who in past years would actually watch a network news program they hated - such as Dan Rather in his CBS Evening News days - just so they could get worked up into a frenzy of anger and indignation. It makes them feel good to believe they're fighting the lonely but brave battle against the darkness, with only the heroic Fox News as their ally. It's a fantasy, of course, but so are many of their other beliefs these days.

Also, I think many of them are secretly so insecure they can't handle any criticism, so they sneak glances at CNN or MSNBC or any "liberal" outlet to see what they're saying about their Dear Leader and other conservatives. It probably explains why Trump still watches CNN and MSNBC obsessively, and is at least aware of what the NY Times and Washington Post are saying about him. They're all desperate for vindication from the very people they claim to hate.

Reminds me of when I went to Red Sox-Yankees in old Yankee Stadium back in like 2001 or 2002. When they announced the Red Sox starting lineup they played the Imperial March from Star Wars. They played the main Star Wars theme for the Yankees lineup. Of course at this point, the Red Sox were losers and the Yankees had won several World Series in a row. Fuckin' Jeter isn't some rebel leader.

Last edited:
A good example of why Chuck Todd sucks, for those who were skeptical

An MSNBC host lobbing softballs at Trump. I thought they were the left version of Fox News?

A good example of why Chuck Todd sucks, for those who were skeptical

Starting in my high school days I used to love watching the Sunday morning talk shows, as even then I was a political junkie. This Week with David Brinkley was my favorite. I also thought Tim Russert did a good job on Meet the Press. Over the past few years I've started watching these shows less and less often, although I still will if they have something that interests me, like AOC's interview on ABC a week or two ago.

The main reason is that it's become clear to me that it's like watching a high-school gossip session, in that all they discuss are "inside-the-beltway" topics and concerns. There's really very little focus on problems or issues in the country as a whole, or any emotional concern or involvement with anything. The roundtables especially are a joke, as it's obvious that it's just a meaningless PR game and wordplay to most of the panelists. The few who do take the topics seriously, or express some emotion about a subject or topic, are looked at and treated as if they're from the Moon. Guys like Todd and Stephanopoulos may be called liberals, but the truth is I don't think any of these DC TV talking heads will give a shit if Trump is reelected. They don't care about his impact on the country, or what he's doing at the border. Trump's reelection will just mean more ratings and roundtable fodder and gossip for them for four more years.

Last edited:
But if they do that Trump and his toadies won’t accept their invitations to come back and lie on their shows. And Trump could also get on the internet and say bad things about them.

Which just goes to disprove the right-wing talking point that they're liberal. Compared to Fox News and most right-wing media they look liberal (virtually anything would), but what they're really interested in is controversy and drama. They're basically the modern version of the old yellow journalism tabloids back in the day. If it generates ratings and website hits, they're for it. IMO, none of these networks will be particularly upset if Trump gets a second term next year. For them it just means four more years of constant drama and chaos and division that they can feature and play up. If CNN were really all that liberal, they wouldn't have hired a former GOP operative for Ted Cruz and Mitt Romney with no journalism experience to oversee and coordinate their 2020 campaign coverage. Can you imagine Fox News doing that with a Democrat?

Lots of blonde in that group. I'm sure they also all watch Fox News every day for hours, not CNN. LOL.

They’re never gonna love you, CNN. Never.

Do they ever do focus groups of politically interested liberals? I rarely watch 24 hour news networks but the only focus groups I see are conservatives, independents, or undecideds.

They’re never gonna love you, CNN. Never.

Do they ever do focus groups of politically interested liberals? I rarely watch 24 hour news networks but the only focus groups I see are conservatives, independents, or undecideds.

Or do they ever ask anyone else?

Back