• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Yeah I'm going to a place with them tonight. Don't know if I'll test it out or our group will just stick with bottles, depends on what makes sense I suppose

Also, with a quick google I've heard good things about some of the other restaurants owned by that restaurant group. No wines in common though with the place I'm going

Last edited:
Why in the world would you want to buy 2nd rate Sang in CA when there is great stuff from the motherland on the shelves, usually for less than $25.00???

Nope. I didn't say NC wine was better than Italian or French; just that I like Italian/Italian style better. Napa/Sonoma is too cold to grow Sangiovese which is my favorite. NC has the perfect environment for it. I brought back a case from CA so I must've enjoyed pretty well.

At the Salute! wine festival in Winston in 2010 (all NC wines), the Sangiovese was the only grape I consistently liked from vineyard to vineyard.

I bought some Arnold Palmer Merlot the other day. Haven't opened it yet. I like the bottle, but don't really have high expectations.

You shouldn't. Terry Hoague(sp?/former NFLer) has some pretty good wine though.

Well I had a Virginia wines (Stone Mountain Cabernet Franc) and a California white (don't remember the name) and both tasted very similar on tap and pretty good, didn't seem to alter the flavors or anything at all and since it uses nitrogen the wines won't oxidize so you can keep the kegs MUCH longer. The owner chatted it up a bit and talked up the Stone Mountain as well as the system they have and was pretty proud of it. So it was pretty cool.

Why do I always think drinking a bottle by myself on a school night is a good idea but KNOW it is a bad idea the next day yet still do it often?

We're strictly red wine drinkers in our house. Huge fan of Rhone blends. We drink a lot of Gigondas (often by Guigal) but we like sampling different types of wines - Vacqueras is good too.

Clos du Bois is one of our favorite cheaper wines. Smooth merlot, good shiraz.

Have been drinking a lot of Meritage and GSM blends too.

What do you drink in the summer? I love the wines you mentioned as much as anyone but I could not imagine drinking them on a 95 degree day with 100% humidity...I think I would vomit.

What do you drink in the summer? I love the wines you mentioned as much as anyone but I could not imagine drinking them on a 95 degree day with 100% humidity...I think I would vomit.

Dry, minerally whites. Mainly sauvignon blancs, gruners or rieslings.

If I'm doing red in the summer it's usually at night when I'm inside - and even then I'll stick with oregon pinots most of the time.

I enjoyed a nice Cabernet Sauv & Cabernet Franc blend for Cabernet day today.

Dry, minerally whites. Mainly sauvignon blancs, gruners or rieslings.

If I'm doing red in the summer it's usually at night when I'm inside - and even then I'll stick with oregon pinots most of the time.

Of course that is what I do as well...I was just asking finningan. BTW my new favioret summer wine (by far) is Cava.

Of course that is what I do as well...I was just asking finningan. BTW my new favioret summer wine (by far) is Cava.

Me too. As someone else mentioned Rondel is pretty good stuff as is Conde de Caralt and both weigh in at 8 bones a piece.

Me too. As someone else mentioned Rondel is pretty good stuff as is Conde de Caralt and both weigh in at 8 bones a piece.

Yep and Yep - Sparkling is the way to go over the summer. Good stuff. I am not a big white wine drinker, but the New Zealand Sauv Blancs are good for hot days, most you can get for $8-$12, Nobilo, Kim Crawford. Please stay away from Monkey Bay, it really isn't good, and that headache the next morning IS from the wine.

Sounds pretty weird, but we also buy a big 1.5 liter bottle of Cavit Pinot Grigio and turn it into White Sangria with sprite/seltzer, some orange liquer and lots of fruit. Cavit by itself? Pain bringer. Cavit as Sangria? Not too shabby.

Yep and Yep - Sparkling is the way to go over the summer. Good stuff. I am not a big white wine drinker, but the New Zealand Sauv Blancs are good for hot days, most you can get for $8-$12, Nobilo, Kim Crawford. Please stay away from Monkey Bay, it really isn't good, and that headache the next morning IS from the wine.

Sounds pretty weird, but we also buy a big 1.5 liter bottle of Cavit Pinot Grigio and turn it into White Sangria with sprite/seltzer, some orange liquer and lots of fruit. Cavit by itself? Pain bringer. Cavit as Sangria? Not too shabby.

Flat-out blasphemy! Monkey Bay is my go-to grocrey store white. Always consistent and always good (like most NZ Sauv Blanc). I think MB is just as good as Kim Crawford and usually 5 bucks less. Truth be told, I could probably line up 10 different NZ Sauv Blancs and even the most trained pallet could not tell the difference. That is the beauty and the beast of that particular varietal.

Flat-out blasphemy! Monkey Bay is my go-to grocrey store white. Always consistent and always good (like most NZ Sauv Blanc). I think MB is just as good as Kim Crawford and usually 5 bucks less. Truth be told, I could probably line up 10 different NZ Sauv Blancs and even the most trained pallet could not tell the difference. That is the beauty and the beast of that particular varietal.

Blasphemy-Blasphemy. A blind squirrel could tell the difference in Monkey Bay and Kim Crawford. Cheap NZ sauv blancs are trash. But, by the same token, any NZ sauv blanc over $15 isn't worth it. Cloudy Bay is way overrated and I don't think it is even as good as Kim Crawford. Some other good ones are: Giesen (served it at my wedding), Drylands, Whitehaven and Villa Maria. All should be less than $15 and are more than twice as good as Monkey Poop.

Blasphemy-Blasphemy. A blind squirrel could tell the difference in Monkey Bay and Kim Crawford. Cheap NZ sauv blancs are trash. But, by the same token, any NZ sauv blanc over $15 isn't worth it. Cloudy Bay is way overrated and I don't think it is even as good as Kim Crawford. Some other good ones are: Giesen (served it at my wedding), Drylands, Whitehaven and Villa Maria. All should be less than $15 and are more than twice as good as Monkey Poop.

What do you have against Monkeys?

but they look so happy

5081.jpg

Monkey Bay should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Kim Crawford. The difference is mind boggling even to the amateur taste bud.

I will say Kim Crawford is $11.50 at Costco.

Have you or anyone else had Conde de Caralt Rose sparkler? I bought a bottle the other day but have yet to bring it out.

Back