Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine

Recently tried Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck) for the first time and was blown away by how good it is (especially given the price. It's literally $2). Does anyone know if its sold anywhere besides Trader Joe's? There isn't a Trader Joe's near enough to me, but I'd like to have some more of this wine. PM if you know of anywhere else that might have it.

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know, the other, shittier Carolina? captruss24's Avatar
    I went on a mega Chuck spending spree back in 2004 when we first discovered it in Charlotte. I'm talking cases and cases of the $3 stuff. Fast forward 8 years and we never drank it all. I've found that the Chuck does not age very well. Some bottles of Cab may have been tainted by the cork or whatever composite material they use (air leakage?). Regardless after the first glass it all goes down the same.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Had a bottle of 2006 Cheval de los Andes last night, which was a bottle we brought back from Mendoza a couple of months ago. It's a Bordeaux blend made by a joint venture between Terrazzas de los Andes and Cheval Blanc. It was pretty spectacular. Would have been even better a few years from now, but I'm not very patient when it comes to laying bottles down.

Steve Lepore
    When we lived in the Bay area, Dollar Tree would get shipments of overstock wine on Thursdays. All bottles were...$1.00. It got to the point where several of us waited for the truck to arrive and would buy up cases and cases. Usually some pretty good stuff. Last one I can recall was a Covey Run Cab that I see now for $9.95.

Now here in OH, the state controls pricing on alcohol. Bastards.
    Last edited by denverpacker; 02-15-2012 at 01:00 PM.

www.wtso.com is having cheepskate wednesday today.
    -Pro Peanut

2008 Duckhorn Merlot last night. A really great glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake4estMike View Post

Yum, love Duckhorn. Last night I had a Terra Valentine Cab followed by an Outpost Zin (Howell Mountain). Both were good but I would give the nod to the Outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by awakeandready View Post
    What do people that know anything about wine think about the Demon/Deacon Wake wines?

Meant to respond a while ago but never got around to it...

I'm pretty sure someone at the Deacon Shop indicated to me that these are RayLen wines and that the red is basically their Carolinius. I think they're not bad at all. I've visited the winery once and they seem like nice folks eager to make good stuff and, IMO, are succeeding.

Anyhow, pretty sure several of their wines are on sale this month at Lowes. At least they were a week or so ago. And the Carolinius was, IIRC, about ten bucks. At that price it's a great value, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake4estMike View Post

I got married in '05. In October for our wedding anniversary, my wife and I drank a bottle of 2005 Duckhorn Merlot and 2005 Insignia. That was an amazing wine night. Hope you enjoyed yours. I highly recommend this bottle.

Richard Joyce
    Quote Originally Posted by 61raddeac View Post
    Mrs. Dr.'s fave-o-rite vino.

Also crushed a bottle of two buck chuck ($3 here in Charleston for whatever reason). It's actually really good considering its price. I've had much worse wines for much higher prices.

Just got a bottle of Williamette Valley Pinot Noir. I'm not sure why I paid out of the nose for it, but it's tough to beat.

Dickie Hemric
    Just booked my plane flight to go to Willamette Valley for the Memorial Weekend event. Super pumped.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Just booked my plane flight to go to Willamette Valley for the Memorial Weekend event. Super pumped.
    I'll be there at the end of March. Looking forward to it.

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    I'll be there at the end of March. Looking forward to it.
    Nice - def post the highlights

Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Just drank this the other night:

#winning

I really enjoy St. Innocent for Willemette Pinot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquee Moon View Post
    Just drank this the other night:

#winning
    Super Jelly. Of that bottle and the two trips to the Valley.