Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine

Most wines from Maryland are complete crap, but Black Ankle Vineyards has been recommended to me with a great reputation and last night I got to have my first glass from them, their 2009 Rolling Hills. Its a blend primarily of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. I've been meaning to try some of their wines and I know I'll be trying more of their selection.

Unfortunately you won't find their wines outside of the state (except Oya, Proof, and Zola in DC)

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    I'll be there at the end of March. Looking forward to it.
    Highlights? Suggestions? Will be there in 4 weeks. (Willamette Valley since it isn't in the quote)

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know, the other, shittier Carolina? captruss24's Avatar
    Any Bordeaux drinkers? Thoughts on the 2005 and 2009 vintage (from a buy/hold standpoint)? I've run across a few 2005 bottles out of the Haut-Medoc appellation that really stand out, and hope their 2009 vintage are equally as tasty.

Can a good pinot noir be had for $20 or less?

Quote Originally Posted by DeacWatcher View Post
    Its possible but more difficult. Pinot noir grapes are harder to grow than many other grape. Because if thus they trend to be higher priced. Same is true with cabernet franc and Pinot gris

Sounds like a couple people have trips booked to the Willamette Valley this year. Drop me a PM if you have any questions about the area or are looking for recommendations. I've visited about as many of the wineries as one man reasonably can.

Dickie Hemric
    Yes:

Benton Lane - Oregon
    La Crema - Sonoma
    (And a little less) A by Acacia - Napa

In Australia, all the alcohol is ridiculously expensive, but boxed wine is extremely cheap. So thats what we bought since we're (for the most part) poor college students.

I've lost my taste for wine, needless to say. Boxed wine tastes like stale piss.

Quote Originally Posted by WT901 View Post
    In Australia, all the alcohol is ridiculously expensive, but boxed wine is extremely cheap. So thats what we bought since we're (for the most part) poor college students.

I've lost my taste for wine, needless to say. Boxed wine tastes like stale piss.
    One of the big movements in wine over the next few years us going to be packaging. Wineries are very interested in boxed wine. It actually often keeps better and longer that bottled wine. Some wineries sell the same wine in bottles and boxes. The bottles are priced at a premium. It is going to be interesting to see how packaging changes in the future

Steve Lepore
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Yes:

Benton Lane - Oregon
    La Crema - Sonoma
    (And a little less) A by Acacia - Napa
    3 excellent choices. Nice job.

Rusty Larue
    Recommendations for an inexpensive Malbec? What about Shiraz?

is there a website that "rates" wine? (similar to beeradvocate and ratebeer)

cookout = blabbermouth?
    For ~$15, I really like the Reserva Malbec from Terrazas de los Andes (and I've been to the winery so that may add some bias). Ben Marco isn't bad either for around the same price. Dolium makes some really great Malbec, and the one I usually pick up at my shop is in the $30-35 range, but they make some in the $15 range that are supposed to be good.

As for shiraz, I really like Torbreck Woodcutters a lot. And Two Hands makes a number of different shirazes that are good. Torbreck Woodcutters and some Two hands can be had for under $20. My wife absolutely loves the Guilty and Verdict shirazes from Shinas Estate. Not sure on price on those though.

Banhammer'd
    Quote Originally Posted by timdunkandthefunk View Post
    Recommendations for an inexpensive Malbec? What about Shiraz?
    I haven't gone wrong with Argentinian Malbecs. Many are under $15. some good ones are even under $10.

Quote Originally Posted by fuheel View Post
    is there a website that "rates" wine? (similar to beeradvocate and ratebeer)
    http://www.cellartracker.com/

The wife and I had a 2002 Merus Cab for our anniversary dinner.

Yeah, and fuck you too.

Some of the River Road stuff isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Toogs View Post
    Some of the River Road stuff isn't bad.
    There is much to choose in the $20 and under range among 2009 Red Burgs. Which is where you should be focused anyway.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquee Moon View Post
    There is much to choose in the $20 and under range among 2009 Red Burgs. Which is where you should be focused anyway.
    This is some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    This is some good advice.
    And the options get much greater if you move up to the $30 range.

2009 was a KILLER VINTAGE in Europe. The red bordeaux and burgs are awesome.