• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

The Prisoner.

+1. The Prisoner is very good.

I haven't read through this thread so I'm not sure if Apothic Red has been mentioned, but it's a great blend in the $8 - $10 range. It's a little sweet and a fruit bomb, but outstanding for the price. It's one that I keep around as an every day red. Costco here in Atlanta sells it for $8.49 or so.

Rhone varietal blends are usually solid (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre).

If you are just looking for a table wine, stick with new world blends from California - usually cheap-ish.

The quality of the Prisoner has gone way down in recent years, IMO. Before it blew up and was still a relatively small production wine it was incredible and worth the price. Now the Papillon, still by Orin Swift, is ridiculously good and well worth the even higher pricetag.

Salvestrin Sauvignon Blanc
CakeBread [a lot of good ones]
St. Suppery Sauvignon Blanc
Chateau St. Jean [a lot of good reds]

are my current favorites.

D'Autrefois is the #1 Pinot Noir at Total Wine. Pretty drinkable everyday stuff for $9.95 a bottle. Not bad for serving at a big party too.

We hit up this place in Tuscany, about 45 minutes outside of Florence a few months ago. We ordered a case of Chianti and wish we had ordered more. Great wine tour and tasting lunch.

http://www.verrazzano.com/en/

55.jpg

What are some of the better blended (more than 1 grape) that are out there?

There are many excellent Italian Toscanas or 'SuperTuscans'. These are usually 80% Sangiovese blended with Cabernet or Merlot, or both.

Look for 'Toscana IGT' on the bottle. They range in price from $10-$100 and up.

Yes:

Benton Lane - Oregon
La Crema - Sonoma
(And a little less) A by Acacia - Napa

Sweet I'll have to try these. Another good option under $20 is Meiomi. It's a screw-top too.

I've kinda kept up with that story. Personally I find it hilarious.

I am getting six bottles of Kosta Browne Pinot this week from a buddy of mine that is boys with the owner from San Fran. I am pretty pumped.

Sweet I'll have to try these. Another good option under $20 is Meiomi. It's a screw-top too.

All Meiomi wine is good - the under $20 pinot is solid, the Belle Glos with the wax bottle top is awesome (usually $30-$40). They are owned by the same people that own Caymus and Mer Soleil - all awesome wines. Caymus Special Selection is one of the best Cabs in California every year, hands down. Mer Soleil chards are really good - the Silver is an unoaked that is really good (but maybe a bit pricey).

Any help with a good Rose? I have tried a few here lately (Sophia, Louis Martini), but nothing is really hitting the spot.

Back