• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

No, but I had one recently that was outstanding so now I'm really curious. I was originally thinking about getting a Pinot Noir, but the Rose I had a couple weeks ago has stuck with me and I'm interested in trying another one.

With a spicy rub, Pinot could be ok if you are going red, but something like a Zin or Grenacha might be better. You could also just do a rose sparkler - I actually like the Gruet Rose, its from New Mexico, I think - pretty solid and not pricey.

Any recommendations for the following:

I am looking for 4 varietals (2 red, 2 white) for my upcoming wedding. The caveat is that I unfortunately cannot afford to go over say 12 per bottle. I have settled on a Chardonnay already (X Winery Chardonnay North Coast 2009). I had to go Chardonnay because of the high amount of requests to include that as one of the offerings. So, I am really looking for 3 varietals (2 red, 1 white). Keep in mind this will be an outdoor wedding the weekend after Labor Day.

Alright Pit wine buffs what do ya got for me?

If it was me I would recommend a Pinot Gris for the white, a Pinot noir and a red blend that has cab sauv in it.

If it was me I would recommend a Pinot Gris for the white, a Pinot noir and a red blend that has cab sauv in it.

any specific bottles from any those varietals that you could recommend?

Where are you located. Some things I would recommend aren't shipped to some states.

Not that I know a lot about wine, but for whites I've been drinking a lot of Urban Uco Torrentes by O. Fournier (Mendoza, AR) lately. So good. Not sure what the availability in the states is - we brought some back from Argentina and have still been drinking out of that stash.

Can't help you on the whites.

For the Reds I'd do a Pinot Noir and a Cab. or Cab blend as mentioned above.

One of my favorite Cabs in your price range is Chateu St. Michelle. It's usually around 15$-25$ a bottle depending on what year and what store you buy it. But if you are buying in bulk, you might be able to get it for cheaper.

As for Pinot Noir, one recommendation for your price range is Red Door. I think its an excellent wine for around 13-14$. Again, buying in bulk could save you a few bucks.

Chateu St. Michelle is from Washington, and Red Door is from Oregon, I'm partial to the northwest wines. I'm sure there is just as many good options in your area. Both of these would be very safe options.

For my wedding I took a couple friends that were wine snobs, and we went wine tasting at some of the local cellars in the area we were getting married. Took all day, but it was a lot of fun and we found a red and a white that we really liked. Also, when guests come in from out of town, it gives them an opportunity to have something local.

When I was out in Sonoma last month I went to a winery named Hawley, they had some good stuff though it's a smaller production place. Really liked their Viognier, bought a bottle and opening it last night and it was excellent.

While you're on the X Winery Chard, why not go with their red blend? It is in that price range and is pretty damn good for that price.

Any recommendations for the following:

I am looking for 4 varietals (2 red, 2 white) for my upcoming wedding. The caveat is that I unfortunately cannot afford to go over say 12 per bottle. I have settled on a Chardonnay already (X Winery Chardonnay North Coast 2009). I had to go Chardonnay because of the high amount of requests to include that as one of the offerings. So, I am really looking for 3 varietals (2 red, 1 white). Keep in mind this will be an outdoor wedding the weekend after Labor Day.

Alright Pit wine buffs what do ya got for me?

Any South African or New Zealand Sauv Blanc in your price range. They are virtually the same, and good to very good. Reds will be tougher but in the plonk price range, I concur with the Chateau St Michelle rec for the cab.

Pinot Noir in that price range is guaranteed to be hot garbage.

Any South African or New Zealand Sauv Blanc in your price range. They are virtually the same, and good to very good. Reds will be tougher but in the plonk price range, I concur with the Chateau St Michelle rec for the cab.

Pinot Noir in that price range is guaranteed to be hot garbage.

I was looking at either Excelsior 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon or Zuccardi Serie A 2011 Malbec for one of the reds. I liked the Excelsior and I have yet to try the Zuccardi but it came recommended.

I was looking at either Excelsior 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon or Zuccardi Serie A 2011 Malbec for one of the reds. I liked the Excelsior and I have yet to try the Zuccardi but it came recommended.

No offense but Excelsior is nasty.

No offense but Excelsior is nasty.

It was the best I've had in that range. I know it's relative. Frankly, I won't be drinking the wine at the wedding and don't drink much wine in general. Bourbon and craft beers are where I spent time developing a palate. So no offense taken, but also consider where the price range is (for better or worse) when you look at those specific bottles.

Wines under $15 that are drinkable that you can get at the state store:

Reds:
A by Acacia - Pinot
Cline Zinfandel
Bernardus Marinus - Red blend
Carpineto Dogajolo - Italian Red blend
If you have to, have to get a Cab, check out the Bogle or 337 - neither are spectacular, but both are drinkable now

Whites:
Ormarine Picpoul (mentioned above) $9
Any New Zealand Sauv (not sure the complete list at the state store, but any of these should do: Nobilo, Brancott, Babich, Villa Maria, Giesen)
Torrentes - most are in your price range, try one or two and you will find a good one

Another thing you could try is going to a local Winery and tell them you need wine for a wedding, they may cut you a good deal if you buy a bunch. Most PA wines are pretty barfy or fruity - Wycombe is my favorite and shouldn't be that long of a hike for you.

Here is my hesitation with suggesting a torrentes (and I love them, I keep a bottle in the fridge at all times), many of your casual drinkers are not aware of them. They will only drink the chardonnay. Also, some bartenders are only familiar with the "typical" wines. No matter what, you should give the bartender a cheat sheet of the wines and their characteristics.

It was the best I've had in that range. I know it's relative. Frankly, I won't be drinking the wine at the wedding and don't drink much wine in general. Bourbon and craft beers are where I spent time developing a palate. So no offense taken, but also consider where the price range is (for better or worse) when you look at those specific bottles.

I hear ya. If you are in Winston, go to Wine Merchants and try the X Winery Red Blend. I think it is about $14 and is probably one of the best wines I've ever had under $15. If you are open to going Zin instead of Cab, it is a lot easier to get a decent Zin under $15 than it is Cab.

Back