• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

I hear ya. If you are in Winston, go to Wine Merchants and try the X Winery Red Blend. I think it is about $14 and is probably one of the best wines I've ever had under $15. If you are open to going Zin instead of Cab, it is a lot easier to get a decent Zin under $15 than it is Cab.

Yeah I am serving their Chardonnay as one of the whites

Also thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am at the beach and will spread some rep when I get to a land comp.

Ended up going with the Chateau Routas Rouviere Rose tonight, and it was delicious.

Disc: I'm currently reading my food and wine magazine, which has a guide to this years best affordable summer wines.

It recommends the 2012 herencia altes terra alta garnatxa negra. It is $11. It is a Grenache. It would be worth looking into for one of your red wines. I've never had it though.

09_1-45.jpg

Okay my budget has increased to 20 per varietal. I need 2 reds and 2 whites. What do you think? I am getting them at the Claymont, DE Total Wine.

I agree with moon. If I had to guess they have become so mass distributed that the focus is quantity not quality. They just aren't what they were even as short of a period as five years ago.

Once the old man gave up control to the feuding sons, it went to shit.

A classic tale as old as time.

Shakespeare could have written it and he did.

Bringing this thread back with some recently discovered wines that we like. All in the $20-25 range.

Alouette Pinot noir: this is a total wine exclusive and very good.

Meiomi Pinot noir: same maker as alouette. Were split on this one. I prefer this one but my husband prefers alouette.

Laguna Chardonnay: I'm not a Chardonnay fan, but I really like this one.

Just opened a 2006 Kaesler Old Vine Shiraz we had been saving for a special occasion - amazingly good. Wife said, why don't we always drink wine this good? I reminded her that it was $60 and we've been aging it for 3 years. But definitely worth it.

Just opened a 2012 cadre estate reserve pinot noir. If you like pinot noir I highly recommend this one. We got this one through a special with our wine club and it was on sale as $30. I think it's between $35 and $40 normally. It is very silly smooth while not overly jammy.

Back