• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Just opened a 2006 Kaesler Old Vine Shiraz we had been saving for a special occasion - amazingly good. Wife said, why don't we always drink wine this good? I reminded her that it was $60 and we've been aging it for 3 years. But definitely worth it.

So what was the occasion?

Have you all seen the Costco special on CNBC about how they select their products, and especially the last third of the show when they talk about the wines they select? Very interesting. The Kirkland label bough a vineyard that produced $30+ retail wine and now sell it for $6.99. It is actually very good. I have tried all the Kirkland labels, and all are very tasty.

Ever wonder who goes to Costco to pick up the $1,000 bottles?

Bringing this thread back with some recently discovered wines that we like. All in the $20-25 range.

Alouette Pinot noir: this is a total wine exclusive and very good.

Meiomi Pinot noir: same maker as alouette. Were split on this one. I prefer this one but my husband prefers alouette.

Laguna Chardonnay: I'm not a Chardonnay fan, but I really like this one.

Had the Alouette Pinot Noir on Friday night, really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.

bump, as we have a wine GENIUS on these rjkarl boards now

going to a littorai dinner in a few weeks at McCrady's.

what does everyone think of Louis Martini Sonoma County Cab? I got a bunch of bottles for 10 bucks, pound for pound one of the better grocery store cabs out there

bump, as we have a wine GENIUS on these rjkarl boards now

going to a littorai dinner in a few weeks at McCrady's.

what does everyone think of Louis Martini Sonoma County Cab? I got a bunch of bottles for 10 bucks, pound for pound one of the better grocery store cabs out there

It's an easy drinker with a good QPR. Falls victim to the current trend of overplaying the vanilla. That is supposed to come from a long period in an oak barrel, but there is no way they are leaving a $10 cab in the barrel long enough to get that much vanilla flavor.

If you like Malbecs, our Costco usually has one called Trapiche (Argentina) for about $8 which is pretty tasty. Definitely agree that the Kirkland varietals are pretty good daily drinkers. We like the Merlot and Zinfandel in particular.

I read somewhere that Costco sells more than $1 billion of wine per year.

it's usually $16-17

Alamos is better than Trapiche, and Bodega Norton is better than both.

Check their website...they will show locations. I bought all the bottles within a 75 mile radius. Unfortunately it was only a handful.

Assuming everyone has had the Bogle red blend for this year - awesome drinker and just got 94 points from someone, so the $10 price may go up - I have gone through a few cases of this already - great every day wine.

Assuming everyone has had the Bogle red blend for this year - awesome drinker and just got 94 points from someone, so the $10 price may go up - I have gone through a few cases of this already - great every day wine.

Is that Bogle Essential you're talking about?

We just bought 2 cases of 12 Bogle Essential. That wine could easily fetch 3x the price that it is being sold at.

Back