• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

What are the best, most well-regarded wines from NC?

North Carolina is not considered a proper climate for traditional vitis vinifera wines, but there are some Muscadines that are quite popular (although very sweet and not particularly good when compared to California grapes)

Sitting in SFO after 4 days of juice tasting in Sonoma with 5 other couples. Highlights were Ram's Gate, Gary Farrell, Kunde and Ramey as far as wines. Great dinner at Baci in Healdsburg and Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa. Sapphire Hill is always a fun stop. Lots of good wine and some fun wine, all at reasonable prices (especially if you join their wine club).

North Carolina is not considered a proper climate for traditional vitis vinifera wines, but there are some Muscadines that are quite popular (although very sweet and not particularly good when compared to California grapes)

Many of the NC muscadine wineries are now branching out and trying semi-dry and dry muscadine wines. They have been received with mixed reviews but are a growing market in NC.

I was under the impression (i.e. read it somewhere) that the Yadkin Valley has a pretty good climate and some pretty good soil for growing some of the more traditional grapes. Not world class, maybe, but respectable. And I believe some of the vineyards up there have now been planted long enough so they are churning out some pretty good fruit? No?

I know NC grow a lot of Muscadines but they are way too sweet for me...

Jesus. No. North Carolina wine is Shizzz. Most of the grocery store CA stuff you guys are posting about is also shizz. Drink French and Eyetalian. They have been at it for a little longer.

Jesus. No. North Carolina wine is Shizzz. Most of the grocery store CA stuff you guys are posting about is also shizz. Drink French and Eyetalian. They have been at it for a little longer.

Yeah, the only good thing about NC wine is the insane markup %

Going to a littorai wine dinner this weekend. so pumped

This is bad advice for most wine drinkers. Don't get me wrong, italian wines are my favorites generally - but the problem is the most of the european wine we get over here that is under $30 is junk because of the shipping rates.

For most people that want a bottle of wine to drink a few nights a week, no reason to spend a shit ton money when there are a ton of good options for $8- $15 that are new world wines.

twinnie makes them beaucoup bux he don't care about your boggle wine

twinnie makes them beaucoup bux he don't care about your boggle wine

Even then id argue you would get better bang for your buck with california wines if you are buying them over here.

I love a good barolo, but I would take an O'Shaughnessy cab or Hartford Pinot every day of the week compared to any barolo I can get here for $50-$60

Maryland white are more miss than hit, but there are some good ones out there. Black Ankle is supposed to be the only good winery (especially red) but they're expensive as balls. Toogs knows more about them. I'm actually drinking one of the few Maryland wines that I like tonight.. picked it up at a local wine festival. Big Cork 2012 Vidal out of Frederick. Nothing amazing but a solid white that's not overly sweet and doesn't offend, Bout as good of a review as I can give because I don't typically lime these styles.

Most east coast wine is only for enthusiasts and fun. There is some decent stuff in Nc, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and NY - but with the distribution numbers, the prices are way too high for comparables from other places. I go to the wineries around philly all the time for events, but the wine is average and I rarely buy more than one bottle because most drinkable stuff is $25+ for the quality of something you could get on any shelf for $15ish.

Most are beyond sweet and gimmicky wines, but the grapes they use are all very young.

Virginia has some really good stuff, but like you said they need to improve their distribution a bit for it to make sense most of the time. Awesome views at some of them, too

This is bad advice for most wine drinkers. Don't get me wrong, italian wines are my favorites generally - but the problem is the most of the european wine we get over here that is under $30 is junk because of the shipping rates.

For most people that want a bottle of wine to drink a few nights a week, no reason to spend a shit ton money when there are a ton of good options for $8- $15 that are new world wines.

Nonsense. You can find a bunch of Rhone, Loire, Sangiovese and Nebbiolo under $30 that is way better than a $20 Napa Cab or some dumb $25 Zin Blend.

I spent a bunch of money over Christmas at two of the vineyards we went to back in VA.

Maryland white are more miss than hit, but there are some good ones out there. Black Ankle is supposed to be the only good winery (especially red) but they're expensive as balls. Toogs knows more about them. I'm actually drinking one of the few Maryland wines that I like tonight.. picked it up at a local wine festival. Big Cork 2012 Vidal out of Frederick. Nothing amazing but a solid white that's not overly sweet and doesn't offend, Bout as good of a review as I can give because I don't typically lime these styles.

Some other places in Maryland are trying, but I have yet to have any that are any good.

And the hobbyist point someone made definitely applies to Black Ankle.

NC actually produced some award winning wines in the 1800s. The states ban on production in 1909 followed by prohibition crushed the entire industry in the state.

bump, as we have a wine GENIUS on these rjkarl boards now

going to a littorai dinner in a few weeks at McCrady's.

what does everyone think of Louis Martini Sonoma County Cab? I got a bunch of bottles for 10 bucks, pound for pound one of the better grocery store cabs out there

had this the other nice, pretty decent. Keep the recs coming.

Can't wait to try this BOGLE stuff

My realtor gave me the Louis Martini cab when I closed on my house and I had it this past weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but nothing beats my J Lohr cab.

Now for all the wine snobs out there, what's the best boxed wine out there? Oftentimes I only want to have one glass of wine and might not have another glass for a week or 10 days, so I hate to open a bottle. Boxed wine or smaller packaging is the only solution I've come up with.

Most east coast wine is only for enthusiasts and fun. There is some decent stuff in Nc, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and NY - but with the distribution numbers, the prices are way too high for comparables from other places. I go to the wineries around philly all the time for events, but the wine is average and I rarely buy more than one bottle because most drinkable stuff is $25+ for the quality of something you could get on any shelf for $15ish.

Most are beyond sweet and gimmicky wines, but the grapes they use are all very young.

I'm by no means a wine expert, but I thought Finger Lakes and Niagara peninsula were legitimately good wine regions?

Last edited:
Back