• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

NC actually produced some award winning wines in the 1800s. The states ban on production in 1909 followed by prohibition crushed the entire industry in the state.

They were not only producing award winning wines but they also had the most acreage of vineyards and the most wineries in the nation prior to prohibition. Today NC has around 120 wineries and vineyards.

2010 Chateau Leoville Barton tonight

I don't know if I've ever had a better bottle of wine.

They were not only producing award winning wines but they also had the most acreage of vineyards and the most wineries in the nation prior to prohibition. Today NC has around 120 wineries and vineyards.

Thanks to the downfall of big tobacco, NC wine lovers now have some great places here at home to enjoy vino.

Bump.

What are y'alls go-to wine resources, i.e., blogs/twitter feeds and stuff? Any favorites?

very solid zin blend from Joe Wagner of Meiomi/Caymus Cab notoriety

copper-cane-beran-zinfandel-california-usa-10672176.jpg

B8j49mVCIAAAEiY.jpg

Just wanted to share, one of the best cheap wines I've found lately. Like $8 at Sam's Club.

The Prisoner 2008 tonight. Damn this is a good bottle of wine...much better than recent years in my opinion. I'm down to my last bottle of the case...need a special occasion to open it (hopefully a job offer!).

The Prisoner 2008 tonight. Damn this is a good bottle of wine...much better than recent years in my opinion. I'm down to my last bottle of the case...need a special occasion to open it (hopefully a job offer!).

2008 was good for the prisoner. It has gone WAAAAAY down over the years since it has become so extremely commercially popular and overproduced. I don't even bother with it anymore. His Papillon is still as good now as it was back then though. Though the price keeps going up and up.

2008 was good for the prisoner. It has gone WAAAAAY down over the years since it has become so extremely commercially popular and overproduced. I don't even bother with it anymore. His Papillon is still as good now as it was back then though. Though the price keeps going up and up.

Agreed, although i had too much of the year I really liked to remember which year it was. But i dont like it nearly as much

We have a 30 bottle fridge, and about 18 spots are things we are holding on to for a while.

But the other 12 spots have opened up after the last couple months of drinking.

I'm a little tired of American wines, so hit me up with recs. We generally try to stay under $25-30 unless it's a special occasion.

I'm a sucker for Burgundy, but I've heard you can find some Beaujolais these days that does a nice impression. I'm also a sucker for Italian and Spanish reds, although I haven't delved into the world of Barolo yet.

We drink a lot of Gigondas and vacqueyras. Can find good ones in the $30 range.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but we had Round Pond last night (2012 Cab) and it was fantastic

My wine rack took a hit last night. It's 8 bottles lighter than before the night started.

We have a 30 bottle fridge, and about 18 spots are things we are holding on to for a while.

I'm a little tired of American wines, so hit me up with recs. We generally try to stay under $25-30 unless it's a special occasion.

I'm a sucker for Burgundy, but I've heard you can find some Beaujolais these days that does a nice impression. I'm also a sucker for Italian and Spanish reds, although I haven't delved into the world of Barolo yet.

Have you done any VA wines.

There are some good ones. We try and bring some back any time we head up there.

Have you done any VA wines.

There are some good ones. We try and bring some back any time we head up there.

What are some of your favorites? There is a VA wine festival (tastings, music) outside of DC every summer where they give discounts if you buy there. I've gotten some decent stuff there.

I'm probably biased because most of my experience is around Charlottesville but I really like Barboursville and King's Family for their reds and Whitehall for their whites.

picked up some nice strawberry wine in yadkin county this weekend at shadow run.. gonna make it into wine slushys on a hot day

I'm probably biased because most of my experience is around Charlottesville but I really like Barboursville and King's Family for their reds and Whitehall for their whites.

I think Texas wines are the same way. Over the past decade, some of the Texas hill country wineries have started to have some success with granache and sangiovese. But I haven't heard of anyone actually seeking them out--most people just like visiting the hill country and travelling along the wine trail. I've definitely found that good memories of a tasting affects my impression of a wine pretty drastically.

Barolo is unreal, but is a pretty expensive place to start for Italian red. If you like Barolo, try out some Nebbiolo or Dolcetto, which is the same grape but younger. You can find good versions of these for $18-$30. Barbera d' Alba or Barbera d' Asti are other Piemonte reds that you can scoop up for under $30

As far as Tuscany, Rosso di Montalcino is a good place to start with Tuscan Sangiovese without having to shell out 60-70 on a good Brunello.

Back