• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

For $20, this stuff is so money from Cameron Hughes. Got a couple bottles over Christmas as part of a case and just went back for more yesterday.

chw_lot717_supertuscan_fullsize.png

A friend and I split a case of this on Berserker Day for $30 per bottle including shipping:

vin17_16gristazin-1597064651691.jpg

just tried the first bottle and it's outstanding.

I just can't get into orange wines. Fred would pimp them when he worked at Red Hen and we always passed. Not surprised he has a section at his new shop. I need to make it up there sometime.

Yea I dig the natural funky effervescent style but recognize it isn’t for everyone

Any other fatcork members here? New allotment coming soon I think.

I am not a member of fatcork - but are there any other good recs for wine clubs? I just cancelled one of mine and was going to start looking for other options.

Also, had not seen the La Crema Monterey Pinot before, but it's everywhere now and pretty decent and not too expensive. Their normal pinots moved out of everyday drinking wine price a few years back, but it was always great.

it's amazing how many better wines they have at the vineyard (or just locally) vs what they distribute to the east coast

I am not a member of fatcork - but are there any other good recs for wine clubs? I just cancelled one of mine and was going to start looking for other options.

Also, had not seen the La Crema Monterey Pinot before, but it's everywhere now and pretty decent and not too expensive. Their normal pinots moved out of everyday drinking wine price a few years back, but it was always great.

I am not in any clubs. Fatcork looks intriguing but I'm not much of a champagne fan; way more into Cabs/Italian reds. I have found my way onto several wineries' email lists, and I typically pounce on an offer or two per year. It helps if I can convince someone locally to split the order and defray shipping.

I'm also on this guy's email list - he has reasonable shipping and some good deals from time to time.

we joined Macrostie, Gary Farrell, and Dry Creek on our trip last summer.....really nice to get some good wines just randomly showing up these days.

I'm on a couple of lists for places that don't have clubs, like Merry Edwards and Turley - but I always end up missing the emails. I'm still part of the Hartford and Fritz clubs - I just cut Tobin James cause the wines are just ok, but you have to be part of the club to go to their parties, which are amazing, if anyone ever heads to Paso.

I tried the WSJ thing and the Wine.com thing because wine prices in the city are insane, but all the wines from there are average and I never want to order anything after the first $100 special thing. Gary Farrell does good stuff, might check that out.

yeah i have never received a really good bottle of wine from anyone who "curates" a case for me.

yeah i have never received a really good bottle of wine from anyone who "curates" a case for me.

Try a couple of new ones a month until you find what you like.

Do you have either Total Wines and More or BevMo near you? They have 1000s of wines.

Have you tried South American wines? they are good and reasonable.

yes, I thave plenty of favorites and I'm willing to try most anything; my point was that the wine clubs that claim to offer great undervalued wines that no one has heard of tend to offer shitty wines that no one will buy in a store.

Which is why the clubs can sell them so much below market pricing. :)

Have you tried Spanish reds? Tempranillo?

I have at local wine shops, but none of the big time apps that create algorithms or whatever

I have at local wine shops, but none of the big time apps that create algorithms or whatever

It's sad that our local wines & cigar shop closed in the mid-late 00s. By having no more than one employee and the owner, we were allowed to smoke the cigars and drink wine like it was a European/Middle Eastern cafe'. There was a group of 4-8 people who were regulars to hang out. Usually, one or two of us would be there. I can't imagine Phil made money from us. We'd buy a couple of cigars and he would invite us to try his new wines. We'd feel guilty about drinking his wine for free and buy another cigar or two. His prices on cigars were so good that he couldn't have been making much money.

If you knew Phil, you could ask, "Is there anything under the counter?" If the answer was yes, it meant there were some Cubans around.

It was an eclectic and fun crew.

+1. The boom in local wine clubs in DC, either attached to a shop, restaurant, or even an individual somm have been the silver lining of the pandemic.

yeah, when I go to Arthurs at Southpark mall, I get a really GOOD case. But that shit you get through the mail always sucks.

i tried to self curate a case at total wine yesterday and so far 0/1. The $19 french burgundy tastes like welch's. (sorry for triggering rj)

Back