Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031
Results 601 to 614 of 614

Thread: Wine

  1. #601
    note that i don't even remember that joke, just that rj was boycotting welch's maybe for some reason?

  2. #602
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,312
    I bought a bunch of wine from total wine many moons ago for my wedding, the two that stood out as halfway decent at great prices were the 337 Cab and the sparkler called Rondel. Total wine is great for beer and alcohol, but I struggle finding good wines outside of the ones I already know because everything is listed as someone favorite and apparently my palette is not aligned with any of the people at Total Wine in Alpharetta.

  3. #603
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    How about looking for other wines that the person who likes your choices likes? Or asking for that person to help you find something?

  4. #604
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    I bought a bunch of wine from total wine many moons ago for my wedding, the two that stood out as halfway decent at great prices were the 337 Cab and the sparkler called Rondel. Total wine is great for beer and alcohol, but I struggle finding good wines outside of the ones I already know because everything is listed as someone favorite and apparently my palette is not aligned with any of the people at Total Wine in Alpharetta.
    Ha, I have shopped at the Alpharetta TW more than a few times. Did they steer you towards Mascota Vineyards?

    They typically stock Ridge Ponzo Zinfandel. (I see it's currently out of stock, but expected in May). Good value for the money - $33 for a nice bold, smooth Zin. Now instead of the folks at TW I'm the one trying to match my palette with yours.



    By the way to Diggler - I tried a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and it was fantastic:


  5. #605
    that's such a reliable grape. Love that stuff.

    i finished the welch's and moved onto a decent shiraz tonight. better, but still not a wine i'm buying again. 0/2 and both were someone's selection from the staff.

  6. #606
    https://www.astorwines.com/SearchRes...ontains&ref=lv

    Highly recommend

    Came in a wine club selection this week, my favorite so far this year

  7. #607
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    Ha, I have shopped at the Alpharetta TW more than a few times. Did they steer you towards Mascota Vineyards?

    They typically stock Ridge Ponzo Zinfandel. (I see it's currently out of stock, but expected in May). Good value for the money - $33 for a nice bold, smooth Zin. Now instead of the folks at TW I'm the one trying to match my palette with yours.



    By the way to Diggler - I tried a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and it was fantastic:

    Ridge’s Three Valleys is cheaper and also very good.

  8. #608
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Have you tried South American wines? they are good and reasonable.
    Oh my God. I agree with RJ.

    Catena Malbec is what got me into wine. $20 bottle and always a good buy.

  9. #609
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacDiggler View Post
    I'm pretty open - my wife likes European whites, so we always get some of those. I grabbed a Zweigelt, a couple of California Pinot Noirs, a Spanish grenache, and a red burgundy. Probably my favorite bottle ever was an old Brunello from Ciacci Piccolomini d'aragona, so I have a soft spot for sangioveses from anywhere.

    One of my favorite wine experiences (when I got hooked on red) was attending a wine tasting in the fortress in Montalcino. I was 28, had no idea what i was drinking, and they just kept pouring brunellos all night. I loved it and decided that my previous lack of appreciation for reds was because I was drinking the wrong things. Well, I was right....but my plan of going home and stocking up on brunello quickly fell apart when I learned how expensive it is over here. Instead, I ended up searching high and low for earthy european reds for under $10. (I found a few that became staples.)

    Glad I have been able to move my price range up since then....although I'm still a sucker for that occasional $7 bottle that just tastes good. When we went on a viking cruise up the Rhine last fall, every day in town we'd find a cheap bottle of wine to take back to the ship with us for cocktail hour....one of my favorites we found in Germany for 3 euros.
    Anyone can find a good expensive bottle. The art is finding a great cheap bottle.

  10. #610
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    Ridge’s Three Valleys is cheaper and also very good.
    interesting timing - was out to dinner last night and Three Valleys was on the menu and reasonably priced. Can confirm it was good stuff.

  11. #611


    got this in my total wine case a few weeks ago for $18....really good pinot for that price. Reminded me of some much higher priced Gary Farrell.

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacDiggler View Post
    just picked up a six pack of Crawford Bentrock pinot noir for $140.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    Awesome. Great price. I’ve heard good things about them, but too many wines, too little time. Post a review when you get them!
    i'm here to report that this wine sucked. the reason they offered such a good deal for berserker day was because it's old and well past its prime. Opened the last one tonight, had three sips hoping for something and ended up putting it in the fridge and switching to a Macrostie pinot noir that I love. Tomorrow night i'll have 2 glasses of macrostie then switch to the swill and see if it's better as a third glass.

  13. #613
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacDiggler View Post
    i'm here to report that this wine sucked. the reason they offered such a good deal for berserker day was because it's old and well past its prime. Opened the last one tonight, had three sips hoping for something and ended up putting it in the fridge and switching to a Macrostie pinot noir that I love. Tomorrow night i'll have 2 glasses of macrostie then switch to the swill and see if it's better as a third glass.
    well that sucks! sorry to hear this.

  14. #614
    Gonna keep posting natural wine bottles from one of the clubs I’m in

    https://www.kingstonwine.com/wines/2...ohn-w3831884xp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •