Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 605

Thread: Wine

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by jccdeac View Post
    UPDATE:
    Over the summer there are lots of events at many of these wineries & we are looking forward to going back for some of them. As we look at the map, there are still a TON of wineries in the area that we still need to get to!
    Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. There are over 106 wineries in North Carolina and the total seems to be growing every few months. I think 2 more are opening in the next few months. To give you some idea, in August there were 100.

  2. #62
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    siff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Duchy of Cabarrus
    Posts
    17,697
    For WTSO fans out there, Tuesday April 26th is Marathon Day at WTSO.

    https://www.wtso.com/content.php?cms_id=17

  3. #63
    I have fallin in love with Cava...I did not want it to happen but it has.

  4. #64
    Dickie Hemric
    sailordeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liver than you'll ever be
    Posts
    13,891
    Ignore the wine snobs and just drink what tastes good to you.

    You should be aware that different foods go better with different wines; different wines are better at different times of the year; some wines are better aged longer, some not; your mood influences your perceived taste of wines. That'll do for starters.

    Basically just experiment and enjoy!

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    Ignore the wine snobs and just drink what tastes good to you.

    You should be aware that different foods go better with different wines; different wines are better at different times of the year; some wines are better aged longer, some not; your mood influences your perceived taste of wines. That'll do for starters.

    Basically just experiment and enjoy!


    That's good advice. Especially the last part.

    Ignore the snobs? Eh. Maybe. But even snobs can teach you something most of the time. But experimenting for yourself is the best way to figure out what you like, when you like it, and with what to pair it.

    If you're in a restaurant or are planning to take wine to some dinner and you're not sure what to order or bring, just ask for advice from the staff/host. No shame at all in doing that, even if you're a very experienced wine-type person.

  6. #66
    I think all people that have a decreeing taste and a little bit of knowledge get labeled a wine snob. There is nothing I hate more than person that knows a little about wine (more than your average American) and pretends to know more than they do to impress their friend or over compensate for their small penis. However, I love people that are open minded, interested in learning and sharing what they have experienced...that is what it is all about IMO.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    If you're in a restaurant or are planning to take wine to some dinner and you're not sure what to order or bring, just ask for advice from the staff/host. No shame at all in doing that, even if you're a very experienced wine-type person.
    If I'm at a place where there's a relatively long wine list and there's a page or so of suggestions, I basically only look at that page. Hasn't failed me yet.

  8. #68
    What in some of the boards opinions is the best cab/merlot/malbec widely available in a magnum bottle?

  9. #69
    As far as advice goes, no matter what you do, get some proper glasses for whatever you may be drinking. It could be as simple as glasses for whites and glasses for reds, or you could get a glass for each varietal. You can really ruin a good wine with a shitty/improper glass. Expensive corkscrews are a waste of money, unless you are unable to open wine like a normal person.

    Regarding good, cheap Zins. Try Campus Oaks Old Vines. It's about $10-11, and isn't half bad.

    In all actuality, Columbia Crest is about the best you can get for cheap wine. They're Washington State and are usually rated in the mid 80s. At $7 a bottle, you can't beat that for everyday wine.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacWatcher View Post
    widely available magnum bottle
    Not sure there is such an animal.

  11. #71
    Beer me DeaconPeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wherever good beer is
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    In all actuality, Columbia Crest is about the best you can get for cheap wine. They're Washington State and are usually rated in the mid 80s. At $7 a bottle, you can't beat that for everyday wine.
    QFT

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    As far as advice goes, no matter what you do, get some proper glasses for whatever you may be drinking. It could be as simple as glasses for whites and glasses for reds, or you could get a glass for each varietal. You can really ruin a good wine with a shitty/improper glass. Expensive corkscrews are a waste of money, unless you are unable to open wine like a normal person.

    Regarding good, cheap Zins. Try Campus Oaks Old Vines. It's about $10-11, and isn't half bad.

    In all actuality, Columbia Crest is about the best you can get for cheap wine. They're Washington State and are usually rated in the mid 80s. At $7 a bottle, you can't beat that for everyday wine.
    meh

  13. #73
    For some reason I was asked to recommend "a white wine that is not too sweet and a mostly red drinker would like" and that's basically all I could get out of her, so yes I know thats broad as hell...I suggested a rose or maybe an Italian white if she finds a good one but the question is not exactly directed towards my wheelhouse. Any suggestions? Regions or anything will do, she probably just needs a fairly cheap bottle to get drunk off so she can dance at the gay bars.

  14. #74
    cookout = blabbermouth?
    wfudkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    truxton circle
    Posts
    16,737
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    For some reason I was asked to recommend "a white wine that is not too sweet and a mostly red drinker would like" and that's basically all I could get out of her, so yes I know thats broad as hell...I suggested a rose or maybe an Italian white if she finds a good one but the question is not exactly directed towards my wheelhouse. Any suggestions? Regions or anything will do, she probably just needs a fairly cheap bottle to get drunk off so she can dance at the gay bars.

    Depending on the price they are looking to spend, there are a ton of whites from Burgundy that fit that general description. IMO, nothing beats a good Chassagne-Montrachet or Puligny-Montrachet. The best are quite expensive, but it is possible to find some that aren't outrageous.

    Other whites that may fit the description in general would be Viognier, Gewürztraminer and certain Rieslings (though some could be the exact opposite of what she is looking for). With any of these three, I would ask the wine person for recs within the varietal that fit the description, but in general these should be safe bets, and for a lot less money than the Burgundies above.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    For some reason I was asked to recommend "a white wine that is not too sweet and a mostly red drinker would like" and that's basically all I could get out of her, so yes I know thats broad as hell...I suggested a rose or maybe an Italian white if she finds a good one but the question is not exactly directed towards my wheelhouse. Any suggestions? Regions or anything will do, she probably just needs a fairly cheap bottle to get drunk off so she can dance at the gay bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    Depending on the price they are looking to spend, there are a ton of whites from Burgundy that fit that general description. IMO, nothing beats a good Chassagne-Montrachet or Puligny-Montrachet. The best are quite expensive, but it is possible to find some that aren't outrageous.

    Other whites that may fit the description in general would be Viognier, Gewürztraminer and certain Rieslings (though some could be the exact opposite of what she is looking for). With any of these three, I would ask the wine person for recs within the varietal that fit the description, but in general these should be safe bets, and for a lot less money than the Burgundies above.
    Dkn has provided some good suggestions. I've got a white wine at the winery that is hit with red wine drinkers; however, you won't be able to get it in Maryland. I've listed a few suggestions below, as I come up with more, I will be sure to add them. I'm trying to think of some specific brands and types for you that are easy to find.

    A few more suggestions:
    Vinho Verde
    Pinot Gris (not to be confused with a pinot grigio)

  16. #76
    goddamnit why didn't i think of the vihno verde, my friend and i sometimes pummel it, don't remember the name though but know the bottle and know exactly where it is at our wine store.

    oh well, said friend will suggest it since she asked him too

    nvm, casal garcia. thank you google!

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    For some reason I was asked to recommend "a white wine that is not too sweet and a mostly red drinker would like" and that's basically all I could get out of her, so yes I know thats broad as hell...I suggested a rose or maybe an Italian white if she finds a good one but the question is not exactly directed towards my wheelhouse. Any suggestions? Regions or anything will do, she probably just needs a fairly cheap bottle to get drunk off so she can dance at the gay bars.
    That is a hard one...

    I agree with the wfudkn however she might not like the mineralality of some of the burgeons. Viognier is a good call...she might like its full body but (when it is made well) it can have a lot of honey and melon and she might confuse that with sweetness (believe it or not Virginia makes a lot of very good Viongniers...some of the best I have ever had). Have her take a look at an Italian Soave (La Cappuccina makes a decent one that is not hard to find and repetitively inexpensive). Like a lot of Italian wines Soave can come off has harsh to people that are not use to it.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    For some reason I was asked to recommend "a white wine that is not too sweet and a mostly red drinker would like" and that's basically all I could get out of her, so yes I know thats broad as hell...I suggested a rose or maybe an Italian white if she finds a good one but the question is not exactly directed towards my wheelhouse. Any suggestions? Regions or anything will do, she probably just needs a fairly cheap bottle to get drunk off so she can dance at the gay bars.
    Toasted Head Chardonnay. It's very oaky and buttery. I love cabs, but this bottle is great. It's about $12.

  19. #79
    Another good white for red drinkers (but extremely hard to find) is a Southern Rhone / Chateauneuf du Pape.

  20. #80
    Carnal Decadence
    HeavyPetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    13,015
    Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    Depending on the price they are looking to spend, there are a ton of whites from Burgundy that fit that general description. IMO, nothing beats a good Chassagne-Montrachet or Puligny-Montrachet. The best are quite expensive, but it is possible to find some that aren't outrageous.

    Other whites that may fit the description in general would be Viognier, Gewürztraminer and certain Rieslings (though some could be the exact opposite of what she is looking for). With any of these three, I would ask the wine person for recs within the varietal that fit the description, but in general these should be safe bets, and for a lot less money than the Burgundies above.
    Yeah, I was going to say White Burgundy, but you pretty much nailed it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •