Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine

I love a dry rosť in the summer. My go-to inexpensive one this year has been La Vielle Ferme. Heck, I drink rosť year 'round, but especially in the summer.

Not a fan of rose for the most part. I love white wine though, red is hit and miss with me.

14 Hands Cab. About $12 and good stuff. Washington I believe.

We had a Viader cab magnum last night and followed it with a Sawyer meritage. Nom!

As the OP of this thread mentioned, Layer Cake Malbec is indeed pretty tasty and at $11.99 a bottle will be purchased further in the future.

Here in the upstate of SC a new gastro pub has opened called "The Nose Dive" and they have wine "on tap". It makes perfect sense to to it this way as keeping O2 out of the bottle in the main objective to extending wine life. Is this going on everywhere and we just happened to get a place down here?

www.thenosedive.com

just downloaded the wine.com app for my Ipad. Like it so far. It seems to be a good resource for learning about wines/vintages/bargain buys.

It's hard to go wrong with a pinot noir from the Willamette Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by CrapshootDeac View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with a pinot noir from the Willamette Valley.
    True but it is also hard to find one for less than $30

Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Without a doubt for me. However, still not the biggest Sangiovese fan, not sure what it is, people love them some Chianti's, and I have tried very few 100% sangios that I like.
    I have some of the more pricey Chianti DOCGs that I really like, but I tend to prefer the Toscana blends better. I always like trying new ones as you never know quite what you are going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsNDeacs View Post
    True but it is also hard to find one for less than $30
    Not if you live in the Willamette Valley. If you're in NC, sure, you're probably paying $30 for a $12 bottle of wine, but I have a fridge full of some pretty good bottles, and most of them were $30 or less.

Of course, most decent wineries will hang on to their single vineyard wines and other choice stuff to sell locally, and the Willamette Valley stuff you get in NC is probably shitty blends and screw-top bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigScreaminDemon View Post
    OSDToy loves Pinot Grigio in the summer, what is the $ on the Simply Naked and where is it available in the Triad?

Found Simply Naked (several varietals) on sale today at Harris Teeter for ~ 8 dollars off ( ~ 8 bucks per bottle). Pretty good wine for that price. I bought 6 bottles of this + 6 of Rex Goliath (on sale for ~ 6 dollars per bottle), my favorite cheap wine of late.

Richard Joyce
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacWatcher View Post
    As the OP of this thread mentioned, Layer Cake Malbec is indeed pretty tasty and at $11.99 a bottle will be purchased further in the future.

www.thenosedive.com

Anyone know anything about Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2007? A co-worker who lives in Tacoma, WA really likes it and suggested it. Any thoughts?
    Overpriced. Don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinAndreBen View Post
    The ginzies have been doing it for waay longer than the French and certainly those stoned fruits in CA.

Barolo > Bordeaux

Barbera > Bourgogne
    This.

But also, go a little further east and

Amarone > anything

Dickie Hemric
    Anyone know anything about Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2007? A co-worker who lives in Tacoma, WA really likes it and suggested it. Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't listen to Moon - the Alexander Valley is the better or the two, in my book, and it costs much less - you can get it for around $60 at stores like Total Wine. It isn't the best value for money if you are looking for a California Cab, but it is better than most - make sure you decant it. If you are looking for a really good cab that tastes like is should costs much more, look for Sequoia Grove ($30ish).

I wouldn't listen to Moon - the Alexander Valley is the better or the two, in my book, and it costs much less - you can get it for around $60 at stores like Total Wine. It isn't the best value for money if you are looking for a California Cab, but it is better than most - make sure you decant it. If you are looking for a really good cab that tastes like is should costs much more, look for Sequoia Grove ($30ish).
    I drank a 90 Lafite and an 86 Margaux last weekend.

I most certainly wouldn't listen to me.

Dickie Hemric
    Congrats - I don't know you but just cause you have had many expensive wines doesn't make you the end all be all. I happen to like the Alexander Valley silver oak.

90 was a pretty good year, 86 nit bad either, hope you didn't foot the bill for that.

Congrats - I don't know you but just cause you have had many expensive wines doesn't make you the end all be all. I happen to like the Alexander Valley silver oak.

90 was a pretty good year, 86 nit bad either, hope you didn't foot the bill for that.
    I know all about dusty Alexander Valley cabs. Good wines.

These were cellared wines. Quite the treat.

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquee Moon View Post
    I know all about dusty Alexander Valley cabs. Good wines.

These were cellared wines. Quite the treat.
    Next time you are opening the cellar - send out an invite, we'll have a Pit wine tasting party. I'll bring the silver oak.

Next time you are opening the cellar - send out an invite, we'll have a Pit wine tasting party. I'll bring the silver oak.
    Ha!
    Not my cellar I can assure you