• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

note that i don't even remember that joke, just that rj was boycotting welch's maybe for some reason?

I bought a bunch of wine from total wine many moons ago for my wedding, the two that stood out as halfway decent at great prices were the 337 Cab and the sparkler called Rondel. Total wine is great for beer and alcohol, but I struggle finding good wines outside of the ones I already know because everything is listed as someone favorite and apparently my palette is not aligned with any of the people at Total Wine in Alpharetta.

How about looking for other wines that the person who likes your choices likes? Or asking for that person to help you find something?

I bought a bunch of wine from total wine many moons ago for my wedding, the two that stood out as halfway decent at great prices were the 337 Cab and the sparkler called Rondel. Total wine is great for beer and alcohol, but I struggle finding good wines outside of the ones I already know because everything is listed as someone favorite and apparently my palette is not aligned with any of the people at Total Wine in Alpharetta.

Ha, I have shopped at the Alpharetta TW more than a few times. Did they steer you towards Mascota Vineyards?

They typically stock Ridge Ponzo Zinfandel. (I see it's currently out of stock, but expected in May). Good value for the money - $33 for a nice bold, smooth Zin. Now instead of the folks at TW I'm the one trying to match my palette with yours.

18ZPZ-lg.png

By the way to Diggler - I tried a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and it was fantastic:

collefrisio-semis-montepulciano-dabruzzo-riserva-2011---750ml-17218399_572e9193-aaa6-4cac-9523-ca3f2f881398.png

that's such a reliable grape. Love that stuff.

i finished the welch's and moved onto a decent shiraz tonight. better, but still not a wine i'm buying again. 0/2 and both were someone's selection from the staff.

Ha, I have shopped at the Alpharetta TW more than a few times. Did they steer you towards Mascota Vineyards?

They typically stock Ridge Ponzo Zinfandel. (I see it's currently out of stock, but expected in May). Good value for the money - $33 for a nice bold, smooth Zin. Now instead of the folks at TW I'm the one trying to match my palette with yours.

18ZPZ-lg.png

By the way to Diggler - I tried a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and it was fantastic:

collefrisio-semis-montepulciano-dabruzzo-riserva-2011---750ml-17218399_572e9193-aaa6-4cac-9523-ca3f2f881398.png

Ridge’s Three Valleys is cheaper and also very good.

I'm pretty open - my wife likes European whites, so we always get some of those. I grabbed a Zweigelt, a couple of California Pinot Noirs, a Spanish grenache, and a red burgundy. Probably my favorite bottle ever was an old Brunello from Ciacci Piccolomini d'aragona, so I have a soft spot for sangioveses from anywhere.

One of my favorite wine experiences (when I got hooked on red) was attending a wine tasting in the fortress in Montalcino. I was 28, had no idea what i was drinking, and they just kept pouring brunellos all night. I loved it and decided that my previous lack of appreciation for reds was because I was drinking the wrong things. Well, I was right....but my plan of going home and stocking up on brunello quickly fell apart when I learned how expensive it is over here. Instead, I ended up searching high and low for earthy european reds for under $10. (I found a few that became staples.)

Glad I have been able to move my price range up since then....although I'm still a sucker for that occasional $7 bottle that just tastes good. When we went on a viking cruise up the Rhine last fall, every day in town we'd find a cheap bottle of wine to take back to the ship with us for cocktail hour....one of my favorites we found in Germany for 3 euros.

Anyone can find a good expensive bottle. The art is finding a great cheap bottle.

10819086647326.png

got this in my total wine case a few weeks ago for $18....really good pinot for that price. Reminded me of some much higher priced Gary Farrell.

just picked up a six pack of Crawford Bentrock pinot noir for $140. :dancindeac::rock:

Awesome. Great price. I’ve heard good things about them, but too many wines, too little time. Post a review when you get them!

i'm here to report that this wine sucked. the reason they offered such a good deal for berserker day was because it's old and well past its prime. Opened the last one tonight, had three sips hoping for something and ended up putting it in the fridge and switching to a Macrostie pinot noir that I love. Tomorrow night i'll have 2 glasses of macrostie then switch to the swill and see if it's better as a third glass.

i'm here to report that this wine sucked. the reason they offered such a good deal for berserker day was because it's old and well past its prime. Opened the last one tonight, had three sips hoping for something and ended up putting it in the fridge and switching to a Macrostie pinot noir that I love. Tomorrow night i'll have 2 glasses of macrostie then switch to the swill and see if it's better as a third glass.

well that sucks! sorry to hear this.

Back