• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Last night the wife and I enjoyed a little Torrentes that came back with us from Argentina; good stuff - easily becoming my go-to white for summer.

Last night the wife and I enjoyed a little Torrentes that came back with us from Argentina; good stuff - easily becoming my go-to white for summer.

Torrontes and Chenin Blanc are my go to whites.

We keep a bottle of torrontes in the house. Not only is it great for drinking, it is awesome in pastas.

And the options get much greater if you move up to the $30 range.

2009 was a KILLER VINTAGE in Europe. The red bordeaux and burgs are awesome.

I had a 2009 Chateau De Fontenille, Entre-deux-Mers Bordeaux with dinner last night. It was pretty damn good.

Any help with a good Rose? I have tried a few here lately (Sophia, Louis Martini), but nothing is really hitting the spot.

I'm not a big fan of Rose's, but if you aren't looking for only sparkling, the Mulderbosch Cab Sauv Rose is drinkable and its only like $12.

If you really want a good rose sparkling, the Argyle is really good, but its like $50.

I know very few true lovers of wine who do not love great rose wines and there are plenty of great roses to choose from--mostly from france.

Traveled up to Wolf Mtn in Dahlonega, beautiful place and pretty damn good wine.

Traveled up to Wolf Mtn in Dahlonega, beautiful place and pretty damn good wine.

I almost got married there - really pretty place. There are some pretty decent wineries in the Georgia mountains - none of the stuff lasts for more than a couple of months, but they make some solid table style reds & whites. Three Sisters Winery down the road is probably my favorite for the actual wine.

I know very few true lovers of wine who do not love great rose wines and there are plenty of great roses to choose from--mostly from france.

I think you can substitute any grape varietal into your sentence above and it is true (you may have to sub out France, though). In general, I do not like roses, but there are some that are excellent - I am not going to pass over a Perrier Jouet Rose if I have the chance, but somewhere around 9 out of 10 roses on the market are almost undrinkable for me.

If you see it around, this is a fabulous rose from the Southern Rhone. Runs about $25-$28.

B6490.jpg

dry flat rose and rose champagne are two completely different things that should not be compared in any circumstance.

If you want rose champagne, this is a guaranteed panty-dropper:

998596l.jpg

If you see it around, this is a fabulous rose from the Southern Rhone. Runs about $25-$28.

B6490.jpg

Any other Rose's you guys would recommend? Preferably around $15-20 range.

Will be paired with a Harissa Rubbed Grilled Lamb if that helps at all.

picked up four vinho verdes at lunch today for some summertime drinking....3 Casal Garcia, 1 Caiua Noite, 1 Nobilis, 1 Quinta de Azevedo

Nobilis is good. The casal leaves much to be desired.

If you like vinho verdes, I recommend trying some torrontes.

Casal Garcia holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons so I probably regard it higher than most because of a nostalgia factor :noidea:

Any other Rose's you guys would recommend? Preferably around $15-20 range.

Will be paired with a Harissa Rubbed Grilled Lamb if that helps at all.

Do you have to go Rose? You could go with a good Reisling, torrentes or even Picpoul because of the acidity.

My wife has been buying the Ormarine Picpoul for the last few weeks its like $9.

Do you have to go Rose? You could go with a good Reisling, torrentes or even Picpoul because of the acidity.

My wife has been buying the Ormarine Picpoul for the last few weeks its like $9.

No, but I had one recently that was outstanding so now I'm really curious. I was originally thinking about getting a Pinot Noir, but the Rose I had a couple weeks ago has stuck with me and I'm interested in trying another one.

Back