• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

I don't know anything about wine, but I want to learn. Educate me.

Just popped open a bottle of Layer Cake Malbec, its pretty tasty.

If you like this, check out their Shiraz. Very good.

Was never really into wine until I studied abroad in Australia. A case of 24 beers was about $40 while a box of of 12 wines only cost about $20.

One of the classes offered was for their Hospitality major and focused specifically on wine. Through hearing them tell me about all the things while we drank, I definitely learned enough to hold a wine conversation but merely got my feet wet in the grand scheme of things.

If you like Zins, try out 7 Deadly Zins, Sin Zin or Temptation (made by the same people as Sin Zin). Temptation is one of my favorite new wines (new to me) and it is only $10-12 per bottle.

If you like Zins, try out 7 Deadly Zins, Sin Zin or Temptation (made by the same people as Sin Zin). Temptation is one of my favorite new wines (new to me) and it is only $10-12 per bottle.

I had the Hellraiser Zin from Amber Crest Winery at the 4th street wine festival a few years back. Loved it, if you can find it somewhere.

The gf and I are trying "The Pinot Project" tonight. Her brother insisted we bring it to dinner tonight. Here goes nothing.

I'll drink anything red. Boy have I done some stupidass stuff when I've been super wine drunk before...

grabbed a couple bottles of some $10 cab, Red Diamond, had it a few weeks back and it was acceptable for the price. party time

For you guys who love zins, what are some decent zins under $20 that I might not have tried. I have a love/hate relationship with zins. I've never found one over $25 that I didn't love and I've never found one under $20 that I've even liked.

And I'm not a huge wine snob either. I like lots of $8-12 bottles in other varietals.

(I have tried all the zins mentioned in this thread so far.)

Is there a good Wine App for Android? Something that you could search for a good one with reviews then have it tell you where to get it?

On a side note, last night I was at Milners (half price wine night on Fridays) and was drinking a bottle of the discount red ($11 down from $22) and wanted to see if my new phone would scan the bottle with Shopsavvy and I literally laughed out loud when the bottle did pop up and it told me that I could get it for $5.37 online. Looks like the half price is still not quite the steal I thought it was.

2008 Cabernet/Syrah from Finca Los Maza (Maza Tonconogy collection)

I think I said that right...had their malbec/merlot blend a month or so ago

For those who like zins, look for the Orin Swift Prisoner or Saldo. great bottles. And if you can find it, his Papillon is fucking fantastic.

WOW. This is probably the worst thread ever except for "drink what you like" and "keep a wine journal."

There are still a lot of great bargains from Argentina and Chile.

Of course one my friends (and a friend of Braces), Tom "Flipper" Shelton was the CEO of Joseph Phelps until his death a couple of years ago.

Joseph Phelps has a lot of $50-80 bottles. Which is ironic as Flipper used to love his Boone's Farm.

Basically anything over a $20 bottle is wasted on me.

Hi Everbody,

Just trying to get started here.

Wine is one of the greatest pleasures in life. Just try a lot of stuff and you'll discover what you like.

ConnorEl??? Oh, SNAP!

Welcome!

If you have any suggestions, please put them in the appropriate threads at the top of each board...except rj's board. Stay away from there if you know what's good for you.

lol

Who's afraid of rj? He's just a lovable but slightly crusty old chum.

Thanks for the welcome. Just testing the waters here. :cool:

The wife & I are doing a wine tasting tour of some (5) of the Yadkin Valley Wineries in a couple weeks. Since we're staying at a bed & breakfast, we will have a driver to take us around. Looking forward to this!!

We've also done wine tastings at Chateau Morrisette along the Blue Ridge & Grove Winery in Gibsonville (thanks to Groupon). These are ALWAYS fun & very informative!

As others have said, pairings & mood od play a role in taste & keep track of what you like & what combos work.

Back