• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Winemaking is an art - not tricks. Blending is what is allowing us to have some amazing wines that were never allowed in the past. If you really want complexity, try some of the bold GSM's coming out of Australia, big, bold, punch you in the mouth - but there are so many different layers.

Your pictures are awesome, and since you have been there, I understand your love - in France, french wine tastes much better than it does here. Still, the thing that jumps out of those pictures is the rocky soil - the mineral taste sits on your palate and gives a non to pleasant after taste.

Again, we are talking about personal taste so we could probably go back and forth forever...but its fun.

Wine grapes need stress to produce great fruit. In CA (and Australia) the growing conditions are too good for the most part (that is why all the high dollar wine in Napa comes from the steep sloops). The fruit gets too ripe and the wine becomes fat and boring. The rocky soil stresses the grapes forcing all the life power into the berry. It produces complex and interesting wines.

I loved French wines long before I went there...but it certainly did help to see it.

I have nothing against blending...my favorite wines in the world come from Southern Rhone and nobody blends more than they do.

Again, don't get me wrong...I like CA and Australian wines. In fact I love GSM's...if pushed I would probably say grenache is the grape I enjoy the most. I just think they do it better in Rhone :)

By the way, speaking of grenache and rocky soil...check out this picture of a vineyard in Chateauneuf du Pape:

232323232%7Ffp539%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3256%3E457%3E%3A56%3EWSNRCG%3D364%3A6%3B58%3C232%3Bnu0mrj

Sorry for showing off my vacation photos...I don't find too many people that would be interested in seeing them

Fact: most people ( the vast majority) couldn't tell the diff between a $100 and a $20 bottle

Fact: most people ( the vast majority) couldn't tell the diff between a $100 and a $20 bottle

Obviously depends on what $20 or $100 bottle but no doubt you could find a $20 (or less) that would trick 99% of the population.

Probably true, for myself included. But I could tell the difference between a French white and a Russian River white after a sip. Same for a $7 bottle of Yellowtail chard versus a $20 bottle of Sonoma Cutrer.

I think almost any white wine drinker could.

Wine Reccomendations by Varietal

Here are some reccomendations by varietal. Granted these are all wines that my company makes, but we have close to 90 brands and these are some of the best that I have tried so far. Most of these are also relatively inexpensive with only a few breaking the $20 mark. Of course every brand usually has a much more expensive tier and also pretty much has an offering for each varietal. Several of these brands also have other very good varietals, but these are where they shine. Most of these are pretty easy to find out there too.

Whites:
Chardonnay-Clos du Bois, Simi, Toasted Head
Pinot Grigio-Simply Naked (New) and Estancia
Sauvignon Blanc-Kim Crawford
Riesling-Blufeld
Moscato-Woodbridge

Reds:
Cabernet Sauvignon-Robert Mondavi Winery, Franciscan, Mt. Veeder
Merlot-Blackstone
Zinfandel-Ravenswood (Ravenswood has lots of great Zin options)
Pinot Noir-Wild Horse and Estancia
Red Blend-Franciscan Magnificat but also try Primal Roots (New)
Shiraz-Alice White
Malbec-Diseno

A wine bottle and a jar of vaseline is always a good combination if your left without a dildo for the night. Be careful where you put the cork though.

Again, we are talking about personal taste so we could probably go back and forth forever...but its fun.

Wine grapes need stress to produce great fruit. In CA (and Australia) the growing conditions are too good for the most part (that is why all the high dollar wine in Napa comes from the steep sloops). The fruit gets too ripe and the wine becomes fat and boring. The rocky soil stresses the grapes forcing all the life power into the berry. It produces complex and interesting wines.

Agreed. That's why my favorite red Zins usually have some Rockpile or Dry Creek grapes in them.

Starting chipping away at The Wine Bible thanks to the bumpage...I'm going to learn way more about wine then I ever knew existed

I loved French wines long before I went there...but it certainly did help to see it.

I have to agree on loving the French wines. Some of my favorites are meritage blends that have a minimum of 5 varietals. There is just something about the complexity and smoothness of the wine once several different varietals are introduced intp the meritage blend.

I've bought a few Simply Naked wines on sale recently at Lowe's as well. I was happy with them.

There's another label, "The Naked Grape", that sells for a little less. It's also decent enough for the money, but IMO not quite as good as the Simply Naked wines I've tried.

I'm past the point of favoring a particular varietal, style, country of origin or even region. I just like most wine that is good. And, fortunately, good wine is easy to find and comes from lots of places.

Drank a new wine last night....totally loved it.

Chalk Hill red blend. Mostly Cab, but still strong. Recommend.

Back