• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

FreeknDeacon

Reaction score
I don't know anything about wine, but I want to learn. Educate me.

Just popped open a bottle of Layer Cake Malbec, its pretty tasty.

I thought it makes you sleepy...

I like Red Rock Merlot.

Isn't Marquee Moon a wine connoisseur? We need a Pit Lecture Series.

Wine Bible is a good book. That's all I can really say.

I know a bit about wine, but I'm not really sure how to 'teach' about it. I don't know where to begin. It's easier just to drink a ton of it with other people that know stuff about it.

Wine experts - what are some necessary gadgets for neophytes who want to enjoy wine? I'm talking decanters/aerators/specific glasses.

I love wine, but I don't think I'll ever be able to taste individual flavors in the wine unless they are blatantly obvious.

I think you need to go to a couple of wine tastings and educate yourself by talking to the person who is doing the wine tasting. A buddy and I stopped at Childress vineyards and a tasting guide along with the wine definitely helps you get started.

I prefer Cab Sav.

I went to a barrel tasting this weekend. The owner actually led the tasting. He let us taste very young wines so we could tell the difference between young and ready wine. Then he broke out a few bottles from his personal stash. 18% alcohol in those suckers. It was fantastic Malbec raisin wine.

OSD hit the nail on the head. My wife and I keep a "wine journal" that captures everything that he mentions. In terms of pairing, we try not to over think it and generally just "drink what we like."

We'll do white's with seafood/chicken, and red with pork/beef as a general guideline.

Lately we've been drinking a lot of Spanish wines and have enjoyed most of them.

Interesting that wine makes some people sleepy. Beer is what does that to me. My wine buzz is almost always much more clear-headed than groggy.

OSD hit the nail on the head. My wife and I keep a "wine journal" that captures everything that he mentions. In terms of pairing, we try not to over think it and generally just "drink what we like."

We'll do white's with seafood/chicken, and red with pork/beef as a general guideline.

Lately we've been drinking a lot of Spanish wines and have enjoyed most of them.

If you like Spanish wines, Juan Gil is a great bottle that is usually around $12-$15. If you can find it, Clio is a fantastic bottle. Usually around $40 or so. Both are primarily Monastrell.

Had a pretty good bottle at Delmonico on Saturday...don't remember the name unfortunately but made sure to grab the cork. Its buried somewhere.

aha! With a little help from the google machine, it was a DAOU. Don't remember the vintage or type though and can't figure it out...oops. The markup wasn't bad at all either

Back