• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Most wines from Maryland are complete crap, but Black Ankle Vineyards has been recommended to me with a great reputation and last night I got to have my first glass from them, their 2009 Rolling Hills. Its a blend primarily of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. I've been meaning to try some of their wines and I know I'll be trying more of their selection.

Unfortunately you won't find their wines outside of the state (except Oya, Proof, and Zola in DC)

Any Bordeaux drinkers? Thoughts on the 2005 and 2009 vintage (from a buy/hold standpoint)? I've run across a few 2005 bottles out of the Haut-Medoc appellation that really stand out, and hope their 2009 vintage are equally as tasty.

Can a good pinot noir be had for $20 or less?

Its possible but more difficult. Pinot noir grapes are harder to grow than many other grape. Because if thus they trend to be higher priced. Same is true with cabernet franc and Pinot gris

Sounds like a couple people have trips booked to the Willamette Valley this year. Drop me a PM if you have any questions about the area or are looking for recommendations. I've visited about as many of the wineries as one man reasonably can.

In Australia, all the alcohol is ridiculously expensive, but boxed wine is extremely cheap. So thats what we bought since we're (for the most part) poor college students.

I've lost my taste for wine, needless to say. Boxed wine tastes like stale piss.

In Australia, all the alcohol is ridiculously expensive, but boxed wine is extremely cheap. So thats what we bought since we're (for the most part) poor college students.

I've lost my taste for wine, needless to say. Boxed wine tastes like stale piss.

One of the big movements in wine over the next few years us going to be packaging. Wineries are very interested in boxed wine. It actually often keeps better and longer that bottled wine. Some wineries sell the same wine in bottles and boxes. The bottles are priced at a premium. It is going to be interesting to see how packaging changes in the future

is there a website that "rates" wine? (similar to beeradvocate and ratebeer)

For ~$15, I really like the Reserva Malbec from Terrazas de los Andes (and I've been to the winery so that may add some bias). Ben Marco isn't bad either for around the same price. Dolium makes some really great Malbec, and the one I usually pick up at my shop is in the $30-35 range, but they make some in the $15 range that are supposed to be good.

As for shiraz, I really like Torbreck Woodcutters a lot. And Two Hands makes a number of different shirazes that are good. Torbreck Woodcutters and some Two hands can be had for under $20. My wife absolutely loves the Guilty and Verdict shirazes from Shinas Estate. Not sure on price on those though.

The wife and I had a 2002 Merus Cab for our anniversary dinner.

Yeah, and fuck you too.

Back