• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Dude- as others have mentioned, just grab a great Pinot from the Willamette Valley.

Clos Saint Michel Chateauneuf du Pape -- can pick it up at Total Wine. It drinks like a Pinot, but its my "special occasion" wine.

Drinks like a Pinot? I have never had a CdP that came anywhere close to drinking like a Pinot other than they were both wet.

Can anyone recommend a good Oregon Pinot for $20?

Not sure where you are, but if you can find the Benton Lane Pinot Noir, buy it - awesome pinot, rivals most anything you can get out of Willamette Dammit. They used to have it at total wine for $19.99.

Edited to add: King Estate is pretty good too, but it may be like $25.

Last edited:
Since we got the bourbon thread back on the front page, I figured we should bump the wine one back also.

Had a bottle of Villa Antinori Sangiovese last night, mmmmmmm good smooth stuff.

We just got back from a trip to Tuscany and Provence.

Stopped by Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Chateauneuf-du-pape and had some fantastic wine. Also had some really good wine from other places and some very drinkable house wines.

I would highly recommend either region if you like wine.

I'll try and revive this more general wine thread.

Last night I tried this wine: 2007 Celler de Capçanes Mas Donís Barrica – Montsant.

SANY0773__51242_std.JPG

I tried it because it was highly rated, especially for the price (13 dollars at Total Wine), and because I'd not tried a wine before from this particular region. It's made from a blend of Grenache [the bottle has this spelling, probably for us 'mericans] (85%) and Syrah (15%).

My verdict? It's worth a try and a decent value. Not, IMO, the "best" wine made from these varietals at this price, but not a bad one. It starts off "big" in the mouth but then kind of dissipates to a fairly simple finish. Not a "special" wine, so I think it would pair well with a wide variety of dishes, even semi-spicy stuff, backyard grilling, etc.

I've had a bunch of really good wine lately...mostly out at various restaurants. Went to Tallula/Eat Bar in Arlington last night and had a Rioja and Seghesio that were both good plus one or two others that I can't remember. Informative post I know.

Not sure where you are, but if you can find the Benton Lane Pinot Noir, buy it - awesome pinot, rivals most anything you can get out of Willamette Dammit. They used to have it at total wine for $19.99.

Edited to add: King Estate is pretty good too, but it may be like $25.

I usually see it for around 25-30, but still well worth it.

I'm having a huge internal debate trying to decide what should be my bottle of wine for Thanksgiving. I know that I will be limited by our local wine shop's inventory. So in the interest of getting ideas and reviving this thread - what is everyone enjoying for Thanksgiving?

I'm having a huge internal debate trying to decide what should be my bottle of wine for Thanksgiving. I know that I will be limited by our local wine shop's inventory. So in the interest of getting ideas and reviving this thread - what is everyone enjoying for Thanksgiving?

Standard choice is a nice Pinot.

My wish list is for a jammy Zin, somethin like a Seghesio or Hartford Zin or if i can find it a Turley, they have some awesome Zins - The Dusi or even the Juvenile.

Since I am celebrating thanksgiving in a state more conducive to wine purchases (Georgia) versus where I live (Stinksylvania) - am interested to see what my options are.

My wine just showed up from my Napa trip. I can't wait to dive into some of those. For Thanksgiving, ideally I would start with some pinot followed by a zin or cab.

Standard choice is a nice Pinot.

My wish list is for a jammy Zin, somethin like a Seghesio or Hartford Zin or if i can find it a Turley, they have some awesome Zins - The Dusi or even the Juvenile.

Since I am celebrating thanksgiving in a state more conducive to wine purchases (Georgia) versus where I live (Stinksylvania) - am interested to see what my options are.

Where in Georgia? I might be able to point you in the right direction for a Turley.

Where in Georgia? I might be able to point you in the right direction for a Turley.

Right now I am northwest of Atlanta in Suwanee - will be celebrating thanksgiving up in the mountains at a place called Big Canoe near Jasper

Right now I am northwest of Atlanta in Suwanee - will be celebrating thanksgiving up in the mountains at a place called Big Canoe near Jasper

Sorry, not sure if the North GA distributors sell Turley to the liquor stores up there. If you can't find it, I'd go with a Ridge (Geyserville, Lytton Springs or Three Valleys)

Back