• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

Have you or anyone else had Conde de Caralt Rose sparkler? I bought a bottle the other day but have yet to bring it out.

Nope. I think it is the whole perception, but I have yet to find a solid rose I enjoy, sparkling or not. The only one I can think of right now that I didn't immediately spit out was the Mulderbosch Cab Sauv Rose - still not good, but wasn't the worst thing I have ever had. CAVEAT - I thought of this after I wrote it, Perrier Joeut has a brut rose that is really good.

I did have a sprakling shiraz once I enjoyed a couple of years back - I have been trying to find it, but every one I have tried since is pretty bad.

Its my Dad's 79th birthday and the dinner is an all southern affair (fried chicken, fried okra, green beans, corn on cob, etc.). This is the first time I have had to bring the vino for this kind of meal. I'm starting the the happy hour with Rondel Cava and after that for the meal am kind of stumped.

Would red zin be the proper call here?

If it was me, I would go with a lighter wine like a pinot noir since it is a bunch of fried food (I also don't eat a lot of fried food so keep that in mind). With that said a red zin isn't a bad choice.

Its my Dad's 79th birthday and the dinner is an all southern affair (fried chicken, fried okra, green beans, corn on cob, etc.). This is the first time I have had to bring the vino for this kind of meal. I'm starting the the happy hour with Rondel Cava and after that for the meal am kind of stumped.

Would red zin be the proper call here?

champagne/prosecco, riesling, gewurztraminer

I went with a Rondel Cava for cocktail time and a Peachey Canyon red zif from Paso Robles for the meal. It worked ok but I am not sure there is a correct pairing when the meal has so much fried food. Perhaps its better to just stick with the sweet tea.

Also I tried that bottle of Conde De Caralt Rose sparkler last night and it was pretty tasty. It was sweet but not like a white zif sweet.

Alright Pit winos, I made a wager on the Oregon/LSU game with a buddy. Bet was for one bottle of wine $40 or so. Of course, I won. Give me some suggestions and I will report back on the bottle. I drink red and not Merlot.

Alright Pit winos, I made a wager on the Oregon/LSU game with a buddy. Bet was for one bottle of wine $40 or so. Of course, I won. Give me some suggestions and I will report back on the bottle. I drink red and not Merlot.

Wow...that is a wide charter.

You might want to go for a Oregon Pinot just to rub it in.

Twomey - best pure merlot out there. Should be able to get it around $40.

Edited: Misread, but you should still try the Twomey, even if you aren't a merlot drinker

Edit #2: My choice would be the D'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz - one of the best you will ever have.

Last edited:
If you are going Pinot, I stumbled across this place a couple of years ago. Fantastic Pinots done in the burgundian style (but without the minerally french soil). The vineyard is called Windward, you can get their standard pinot for around $38.00. It's not in your traditional Pinot growing area though, so a lot of people will write it off - it is all the way down in Paso Robles. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, it is not a high alcohol, fruit bomb like most make in Paso (although, I do like some of those too).

http://www.windwardvineyard.com/

People should enjoy whatever wine they like, of course. But "red wine but not Merlot"??? Have to smile and shake my head at that one. May be a product of too much cheap American Merlot in the market(?). Though you do see more of this from other places in recent years as well.

People should enjoy whatever wine they like, of course. But "red wine but not Merlot"??? Have to smile and shake my head at that one. May be a product of too much cheap American Merlot in the market(?). Though you do see more of this from other places in recent years as well.

Sideways-Wine-Tour.jpg

Yea, I guess. But there's plenty of cheap and generic tasting (but often drinkable, IMO) Pinot out there as well.

Yea, I guess. But there's plenty of cheap and generic tasting (but often drinkable, IMO) Pinot out there as well.

I have tasted and enjoyed most varieties of red wine. Merlot is just not my favorite and I would not want a nice bottle of it compared to other varieties of red. It has a place, but I drink much more pinot and can enjoy a cab. I really want to venture more into the Italian reds.

I have tasted and enjoyed most varieties of red wine. Merlot is just not my favorite and I would not want a nice bottle of it compared to other varieties of red. It has a place, but I drink much more pinot and can enjoy a cab. I really want to venture more into the Italian reds.

For $40, you can get a decent Barbera or a cheap Barolo (I am biased towards the Piedmont). You can get a really good Chianti or Sangiovese if that is your thing.

The Nebbiolo is probably my favorite varietal - too bad they are so freaking expensive over here. Most of the ones we do get are either priced out of the budget or are mass produced and not good. If anyone has a bead on some good ones, let me know.

For $40, you can get a decent Barbera or a cheap Barolo (I am biased towards the Piedmont). You can get a really good Chianti or Sangiovese if that is your thing.

The Nebbiolo is probably my favorite varietal - too bad they are so freaking expensive over here. Most of the ones we do get are either priced out of the budget or are mass produced and not good. If anyone has a bead on some good ones, let me know.

What do you know about Valpolicello?

For $40 you can get some great Nero D'Avolos and various blends thereof ... big fan of anything Occhipinti does and they have several at that price

What do you know about Valpolicello?

Not enough - I haven't ventured much into the Veneto stuff outside of Amarones. I do love Amarones though, the problem, again, is price. In Italy, they are somewhat reasonable - over here? You can't touch a good Amarone under $50. Huge, full wines - definitely with a meal - you can drink them by themselves, but would go much better with nice steak.

I do know my wife enjoys Soaves - tough to find a good selection of them, but they are reasonably priced and good white wine.

Clos Saint Michel Chateauneuf du Pape -- can pick it up at Total Wine. It drinks like a Pinot, but its my "special occasion" wine.

Back