• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

And the options get much greater if you move up to the $30 range.

2009 was a KILLER VINTAGE in Europe. The red bordeaux and burgs are awesome.

Yes they do. We buy quite a lot of red burgundy. We try and keep under $30/bottle, but we get stupid sometimes too. Our favorite wine shop in town has a fantastic bordeaux and burgundy selection and the owner never steers us wrong.

Yes:

Benton Lane - Oregon
La Crema - Sonoma
(And a little less) A by Acacia - Napa

I'm not a big wine guy, but I really liked A to Z's pinot noir as well (another Oregon winery). I may have said that somewhere on this thread already.

Yes they do. We buy quite a lot of red burgundy. We try and keep under $30/bottle, but we get stupid sometimes too. Our favorite wine shop in town has a fantastic bordeaux and burgundy selection and the owner never steers us wrong.

What is your favorite wine shop? I go to Schneider's.

Make w the recs Moon.

I really can't.

Each store has different ones.

The peeps at Total Wine take their shit pretty seriously.

So i would simply go in there and ask to speak with a consultant who can make recs for the staff's favorite 2009 red burgs and bordeaux in the $20 and under range.

simple

What is your favorite wine shop? I go to Schneider's.

Schneiders has a lot of good stuff, but man it's a shitshow in there. I really like Bacchus Wine Cellar in Gtown (Q and Wisconsin). Been going there for years and know the owner pretty well. Now that I no longer live nearby it's kind of a pain, but I work is close enough so that I can still get there often enough.

I don't think I've ever been steered wrong by a wine recommended by a Corridor staff member. I just look for the tag and bam!

I really can't.

Each store has different ones.

The peeps at Total Wine take their shit pretty seriously.

So i would simply go in there and ask to speak with a consultant who can make recs for the staff's favorite 2009 red burgs and bordeaux in the $20 and under range.

simple

Ehh, Total has "their wines" which the get a price break on. They are only allowed to recommend from that list. Notice how sometimes you will find something great in the bin on the floor.

Do you work in the wine biz so this is an ethical issue for you? Just PM me one name that's representative of the 2009 burg class.

Ehh, Total has "their wines" which the get a price break on. They are only allowed to recommend from that list. Notice how sometimes you will find something great in the bin on the floor.

Do you work in the wine biz so this is an ethical issue for you? Just PM me one name that's representative of the 2009 burg class.

no i am not in the wine biz

total can recommend you anything in their store

so ask for the best 2009 burgs in $20 and under range

Schneiders has a lot of good stuff, but man it's a shitshow in there. I really like Bacchus Wine Cellar in Gtown (Q and Wisconsin). Been going there for years and know the owner pretty well. Now that I no longer live nearby it's kind of a pain, but I work is close enough so that I can still get there often enough.

Calvert Woodley is pretty much the gold standard, right? I am pretty sure D.C. stores don't have a three tiered system, so they can import direct from the wineries.

Calvert Woodley is pretty much the gold standard, right? I am pretty sure D.C. stores don't have a three tiered system, so they can import direct from the wineries.

Their selection is top notch, no question about it. The problem I have with CW and some other places is that the staff is used to people coming in and dropping serious coin on cases and cases of wine, and they don't really want to waste time talking to someone about a good $20-40 bottle. That question is usually answered with very little thought or discussion. Oh, you want a $25-35 cab, here, take this one. But if you know what you are looking for, then CW is great since you can probably find it there.

no i am not in the wine biz

total can recommend you anything in their store

so ask for the best 2009 burgs in $20 and under range
That's simply not true, I have a friend that works there. Unless it's somehow specific to that store, which seems unlikely.

Some of the Malbecs are from a part of Argentina where pesticides are illegal. For some pesticides are the reason why they get headaches from drinking red wine.

Also try some tempranillos from Spain. Very smooth and velvety.

That's simply not true, I have a friend that works there. Unless it's somehow specific to that store, which seems unlikely.

Total Wine normally does a good job with their hires and the people they have help out - but there are a decent amount of their employees who only push their own labels 100% of the time. They do things to help educate their employees, but a lot of them still don't put forth the best effort.

Also, I find it hard pressed to say that there is a "good" French red wine under $20 at any US shop, but maybe I am wrong.

you may have heard of Bordeaux, some of them are pretty good

Back