• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wine

I've never tried any Greek wine. How do those taste?

Plenty of decent wine made in NC today. No, not a rival to CA in terms of production. But no reason to sneer at the progress that's been made in NC. I avoided the stuff for a long while, thinking it was all terrible or super sweet or both. But that's just not so today.

Plenty of decent wine made in NC today. No, not a rival to CA in terms of production. But no reason to sneer at the progress that's been made in NC. I avoided the stuff for a long while, thinking it was all terrible or super sweet or both. But that's just not so today.

That's not what he said or I said.

Nope. I didn't say NC wine was better than Italian or French; just that I like Italian/Italian style better. Napa/Sonoma is too cold to grow Sangiovese which is my favorite. NC has the perfect environment for it. I brought back a case from CA so I must've enjoyed pretty well.

It's absolutely not too cold to grow sangiovese, in fact there used to be some amazing Napa sangiovese's out there. Problem is the market doesn't have demand for the grape from CA, so the premium wineries/locations just make syrah or more cab instead since that's what people soak up from napa now.

The climate thing is way off base as far as Napa goes though

Fine, I will correct my statement. A few of my favorite NC wines were better than several of the CA wines I sampled last week. I doubt the day tour company I used to haul my ass between SF and Napa/Sonoma chose the absolute best wineries to visit. Of the 10 CA wineries visited: 3 were disgusting, 3 were fabulous, and 4 were okay/decent. The 3 disgusting ones were all in Napa. 1 fabulous in Napa; 2 in Sonoma. All 4 okay/decent ones were all in Sonoma. Sonoma wines tasted better to me than Napa. The people in Sonoma were much less pretentious than the people in Napa.

It's absolutely not too cold to grow sangiovese, in fact there used to be some amazing Napa sangiovese's out there. Problem is the market doesn't have demand for the grape from CA, so the premium wineries/locations just make syrah or more cab instead since that's what people soak up from napa now.

The climate thing is way off base as far as Napa goes though

I asked a winemaker in Napa why no one seemed to bottle Sangiovese and he blamed it solely on the climate.

Fine, I will correct my statement. A few of my favorite NC wines were better than several of the CA wines I sampled last week. I doubt the day tour company I used to haul my ass between SF and Napa/Sonoma chose the absolute best wineries to visit. Of the 10 CA wineries visited: 3 were disgusting, 3 were fabulous, and 4 were okay/decent. The 3 disgusting ones were all in Napa. 1 fabulous in Napa; 2 in Sonoma. All 4 okay/decent ones were all in Sonoma. Sonoma wines tasted better to me than Napa. The people in Sonoma were much less pretentious than the people in Napa.

That's cool and all, but your original statement was moronic. Please acknowledge this fact. And of course people in Napa are more pretentious than the one's in Sonoma, they make far better wine.

Had a bottle of Coppala Sofia blanc de blanc 09 this weekend anchange from most sparklers I've had in the past. It had a good fruit taste and a very clean finish with not too many bubbles.

103431d.jpg

wine on tap/kegged wine...any experiences?

I went to Beaufort Food and Wine Festival this past April and I highly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in wine.

#1--Tickets were easy to get.
#2--It wasn't crowded
#3--Food was good.
#4--Tremendous variation of wine.
#5--In a tent on the water (we arrived by boat and docked there)

I ditched my scorecard but I took pictures of the label with my phone. My favorites (all reds) from there were (had no idea what the prices were):

2008 Revelry Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia Valley-Washington State)
2009 Montinore Estate Pinot Noir (Williamette Valley-Oregon)
2009 CMS Red Blend (Columbia Valley-Washington State)
2009 Dona Paula Estate Malbec (Argentina)
???? Pfaffl St. Laurent Altenberg (Austria)
2008 Poliziano Rosso di Montepulciano (Tuscany)
2008 Steele Pinot Noir Carneros (Napa/Sonoma)
???? Semler Cabernet Sauvignon (Malibu)
???? Marc Roman Terret (France)

I bought some Arnold Palmer Merlot the other day. Haven't opened it yet. I like the bottle, but don't really have high expectations.

Back