• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Excelsior: Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMV update: it's apparently good to go right after a system malfunction. I called about the wait and they said a few hours, called a few hours later and system down, called an hour later and it was up. So we went and were first in line. Thanks, McCrory! Now I can officially vote Trump!

In an attempt to be healthier, this week I bought a canister of plain oatmeal instead of the packets with added flavors and sugar (even though I would buy reduced sugar, it's still there of course). This plain oatmeal is nasty. The texture is different than the packets, and to make it vaguely palatable today I have mixed in cinnamon, peanut butter, raisins, and a Truvia packet. Probably no better at this point than the other kind, which also got raisins and peanut butter. Maybe one of these days I'll become a person who eats just for sustenance and doesn't have to enjoy it, but that's not me now (and I don't really want it to be). I'd rather always want to lose 5 lbs, than to stop enjoying food.

Do you have a crockpot? Make overnight oatmeal.

That stuff in the packets is gross. Get the big canister and make it in a pot.

The packets produce the only oatmeal I like. I've never cooked it in a pot myself, but a friend had brunch once and they'd made a crockpot of steel cut oats and it was straight awful. It gets so sticky.

Why would anyone want to do this?

I see that kind of quote in blogs and articles often from people who go paleo, or eliminate sugar, or other restrictive diets, and their epiphany tends to be "food is just for nourishment, now I realize that."

Also people were talking about Soylent just yesterday here, right? Same idea. Just streamlining the nutrient process and eliminating all the fun parts of food. That's their whole business model.

I made black bean burgers last night for the first time ever. They were good.

Fin.

Yeah, I get wanting to be healthy, but gross/unpalatable food is not worth it. Life is too short.

Did you get steel-cut or rolled oats in the canister you bought?

In the winter, I love throwing steel-cut oats in the rice cooker before I go for a run. Steel-cut is so much better than rolled (except in cookies). Add a little cinnamon and it's fantastic.

I get the steel cut stuff and do the overnight thing in a mason jar (w/ some fruit and spices) and it's delicious. Would probably work with the regular Quaker stuff too.

The texture probably has more to do with how much liquid you added, I've had it both too runny/soft and too thick/hard

Speaking of reduced sugar health food, has anyone else tried the square marshmallows for s'mores? They require more art while roasting your 'mallow since there is more weight to make it fall off the stick. I think they mess up the ratio of graham to chocolate to mallow. I need to go buy some s'mores supplies for this weekend and I think I'm going to stick with the standard size marshmallow.

7c05d44d54d04a572bb85b3b5b2b4c04.jpg

Did you get steel-cut or rolled oats in the canister you bought?

I guess rolled? Harris Teeter Quick Oats.

I get the steel cut stuff and do the overnight thing in a mason jar (w/ some fruit and spices) and it's delicious. Would probably work with the regular Quaker stuff too.

The texture probably has more to do with how much liquid you added, I've had it both too runny/soft and too thick/hard

On Monday I added too much water/too small of a bowl and the oatmeal blurped out of my cup and all over the microwave for a nice mess I had to scrub. Tuesday I didn't have time for oatmeal. Wednesday I used a bigger bowl and did 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water like it says on the package and zapped for 95 seconds and it didn't explode out of the bowl, but it was like eating paste. Today I just eyeballed hot water from the coffee maker spigot and skipped the microwave altogether. Much less sticky that way when it's still maybe a bit undercooked, but it was still not the texture I like from the packets.

Speaking of reduced sugar health food, has anyone else tried the square marshmallows for s'mores? They require more art while roasting your 'mallow since there is more weight to make it fall off the stick. I think they mess up the ratio of graham to chocolate to mallow. I need to go buy some s'mores supplies for this weekend and I think I'm going to stick with the standard size marshmallow.

7c05d44d54d04a572bb85b3b5b2b4c04.jpg

Square so they fit your graham cracker? That's why you squish it a little.

I don't like smores enough to make them outside of camping trips once or twice a year. It has barely been a month since my last camping trip so it might be overkill to have them again, but it's nice to have something to do when sitting around a campfire.

I don't like smores enough to make them outside of camping trips once or twice a year. It has barely been a month since my last camping trip so it might be overkill to have them again, but it's nice to have something to do when sitting around a campfire.

Bourbon ?

The giant baseball size marshmallows are extra terrible for smores. You can't get the whole thing to the right texture. Also, anyone who purposefully and repeatedly catches their mallow on fire to get a charred crust to eat is a psychopath. Golden-brown - yes. burned - no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back