• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Excelsior: Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The giant baseball size marshmallows are extra terrible for smores. You can't get the whole thing to the right texture. Also, anyone who purposefully and repeatedly catches their mallow on fire to get a charred crust to eat is a psychopath. Golden-brown - yes. burned - no.

So much this.

I burn my mallow erry time on purpose.

I don't own a flask and am not going to bring glass into the woods. I'll get a couple canned beers. Box wine is also good for camping.

Also this!

1923268_510615505343_2083_n.jpg

1923268_510615450453_8660_n.jpg

I guess rolled? Harris Teeter Quick Oats.

If it's "quick," you bought instant oats. They're pre-cooked, dried and rolled thinner than normal rolled oats. As a result, it cooks with the mushiest consistency of the common oats.

If that's your issue, look for rolled oats or steel-cut?

If taste is your issue, and you've been eating that instant packet stuff forever - you're too far gone. Oats aren't supposed to taste like Apple Jacks. Sounds like you put a lot of additional stuff in the second time you cooked - maybe dial that back a bit? Focus on just peanut butter. Work from there.

I guess rolled? Harris Teeter Quick Oats.

On Monday I added too much water/too small of a bowl and the oatmeal blurped out of my cup and all over the microwave for a nice mess I had to scrub. Tuesday I didn't have time for oatmeal. Wednesday I used a bigger bowl and did 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water like it says on the package and zapped for 95 seconds and it didn't explode out of the bowl, but it was like eating paste. Today I just eyeballed hot water from the coffee maker spigot and skipped the microwave altogether. Much less sticky that way when it's still maybe a bit undercooked, but it was still not the texture I like from the packets.

Maybe try the plain packets? Obviously that won't change the fact that you don't like the flavor, but it might solve your texture problem.

Didn't know people went camping for other reasons than to drink and screw.

If it's "quick," you bought instant oats. They're pre-cooked, dried and rolled thinner than normal rolled oats. As a result, it cooks with the mushiest consistency of the common oats.

If that's your issue, look for rolled oats or steel-cut?

If taste is your issue, and you've been eating that instant packet stuff forever - you're too far gone. Oats aren't supposed to taste like Apple Jacks. Sounds like you put a lot of additional stuff in the second time you cooked - maybe dial that back a bit? Focus on just peanut butter. Work from there.

thanks for the attempt but I think I'll use the balance of this canister after tomorrow's suffer-breakfast for oatmeal cookies (or another month of sad breakfasts) and then go back to my reduced sugar packets with raisins and crunchy peanut butter. I need that texture. I don't want to gamble on another month long canister of a different kind of plain oats.

A small canister of oats is like $1.99. If you can't make it work, you can toss the rest.

I burn my mallow erry time on purpose.

I like mine black on the outside. It is crunchy on the outside, liquid in the middle, and only takes about 10 seconds. Ain't no one got time to thoroughly toast a marshmallow.

Selfish gringos and their avocado obsession destroying beautiful Mejico, amirite Rubbins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back