• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

he's not protesting The Anthem. he's using the moment of the Anthem's playing as a vector to protest the US Government

Makes sense, given that the US government has virtually nothing to do with local police departments. I'm going to protest the EPA's treatment of Duke's coal ash ponds by staging a sit-in at my local Board of Education meeting.

Again, people blocking the streets during protests are not normally protesting the condition of the roads or the sidewalks.

I know you're choosing to be intentionally obtuse, but you're not even doing a good job at it.

Makes sense, given that the US government has virtually nothing to do with local police departments. I'm going to protest the EPA's treatment of Duke's coal ash ponds by staging a sit-in at my local Board of Education meeting.

local law enforcement wear the flag on their uniforms, no? they're tasked with protecting citizens and enforcing the laws of the country?

it was my understanding, based on his words, that it was a protest against racism in policy on a broad level, not just 'local police departments'

local law enforcement wear the flag on their uniforms, no? they're tasked with protecting citizens and enforcing the laws of the country?

No, they can enforce laws within their jurisdiction, not anywhere in the country. They operate locally, not nationally, and they don't enforce federal laws. Come on man, surely you remember that Sheriff Little couldn't touch the Duke boys once they crossed that county line back into Hazzard from Chickasaw.

it was my understanding, based on his words, that it was a protest against racism in policy on a broad level, not just 'local police departments'

That certainly isn't my understanding of what he said:

"There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

That seems pretty clear what he is protesting.

That certainly isn't my understanding of what he said:

"There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

That seems pretty clear what he is protesting.

I agree it's clear. From the people enforcing the laws in the streets to the courtrooms, across the country, with the flag flying from sea to shining sea, there are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.

Again, people blocking the streets during protests are not normally protesting the condition of the roads or the sidewalks.

I know you're choosing to be intentionally obtuse, but you're not even doing a good job at it.

That doesn't make any sense, I never claimed he was protesting grass or field turf.

I agree it's clear. From the people enforcing the laws in the streets to the courtrooms, across the country, with the flag flying from sea to shining sea, there are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.

Great - who puts the vast majority of those bodies in the streets and gets away with murder? So this is all a protest of inner city gangs and redneck meth lab sponsors? Fantastic ... have the bloods and crips issued their statements yet?

Great - who puts the vast majority of those bodies in the streets and gets away with murder? So this is all a protest of inner city gangs and redneck meth lab sponsors? Fantastic ... have the bloods and crips issued their statements yet?

you aren't even as good at this at jh, who isn't very good at this

gang members who are convicted of murder with lots of witnesses and proof...tend to go to jail for murder

police officers with the same tend to walk free

I like how Jhmd is the typical hate on the academics yet then constantly expunges bullshit from academics that really only work on paper. It's easy guys to fix all your problems you just need to stay in school, have two loving parents, and eat healthy food, probably prayer helps to, don't forget that pledge of allegiance! No other outside factors or forces at work, it's such a simple equation, like 1+1+1=3, so simple even Ph and his shitty Duke stats can figure it out.

He is not saying there is an "intentional war" on blacks by police. He is saying that police officers are getting away with "murder" and put on paid leave. The latter is definitively happening, and the former has been both true and not because "murder" is a legal term.

What were the return on those "looks at the evidence"? That black people aren't being profiled by police officers? The only thorough investigation I saw as the Baltimore PD one, and that definitively showed that they were---even worse than most people thought.

Regardless of the way Kaepernick chose to stage his protest, it obviously got people talking about it---a lot about the symbol, but some good talk on why he said it and the substance at hand too. In that realm I consider what he did a success.
Well according to most definitions, murder means premeditated and that means intentional. If you don't like that term...then he's protesting the premeditated killing of blacks. Either way, protesting to raise awareness of it is still pointless because we're already hypersensitive to the issue. I think his protest ended up having a negative effect from what he intended. People don't want to here some rich 1%er playing a kids game telling them they need to pay attention to a problem that doesn't seem to make much sense.  

In the Gray case, the police officers got acquitted, the remaining cases got tossed, and there are calls to disbar the DA....and that's a sign that the problems were worse than people thought? Not sure I get that.

The entire "movement" was initially framed as white cops being racist....murdering blacks...and getting away with it. That's what Kaep is protesting. If anything, the Balt case (and the others) shows that can't be the case. There might be a police (or system) vs black community problem in some places but it's not really white vs black. The overall data shows that's not happening. A negative bias towards blacks by the police might be happening but it's hard to tell if it's significant or real and if so why. We even went through a "hate the police" phase that eventually boomeranged back around. It's pretty clear the real violence problem black communities face is black on black crime....and it is orders of magnitude worse than anything the police might be doing.....and which remains a taboo subject to raise like a lot of issues that occur within that community.

you aren't even as good at this at jh, who isn't very good at this

gang members who are convicted of murder with lots of witnesses and proof...tend to go to jail for murder

police officers with the same tend to walk free

Cops who are convicted of murder walk free? Who? Where?
And I'm the one who isn't good at this?

"Well according to most definitions, murder means premeditated and that means intentional"

I don't think this is true. May wanna check that second degree murder definition

image.jpg

I think you'd be surprised how many PD's purchase used equipment from the US government, how often, and how much is spent. I assume you were referring specifically to things like oversight and day-to-day management, but to assert that they're fully disconnected is just wrong.

I think you'd be surprised how many PD's purchase used equipment from the US government, how often, and how much is spent. I assume you were referring specifically to things like oversight and day-to-day management, but to assert that they're fully disconnected is just wrong.

So one entity buying goods from another entity makes them interrelated? Well I'll be damned. I bought a sandwich today at lunch from Harris Teeter ($3.99 last day of the month footlong ftw), I should have known I'm now interrelated to Harris Teeter, Boars Head, Hellmans, and whoever made the bread. Makes sense.

usually you throw away the old oil, so I guess you support a massive overhaul of the police system

Its one of his more asinine metaphors. Oil goes bad over time and needs to be changed, so I thought he intended for the behavior of blacks to be the oil, and therefore they needed to change their behavior to not be victims of racism any longer. If so, that is the most fucked up thing I have read in a long time, and he is totally serious.

Maybe he meant the racists are the oil that needs changing, and protesting them is not going make them go away, so blacks need to change their behavior to make them not be racists.

I can't decide which is more fucked up. :rulz:

Last edited:
Back