• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

Says the person who refuses to allow a second thought into his head about the causes of poverty and oppression in America.

I know your two-parent solution for poverty, but what is your solution for oppression?

there is actually some decent stuff on the #veteransforkaepernick hashtag:

CrMP48GWIAgCVQD.jpg

Essentially it all follows the (paraphrased) Voltaire: “I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

I only personally know (to the extent that I call them good friends) two people who have served. Both have this exact opinion about CK.

Do you think that the left's message is trickling down that effectively or do you think that black folks experience this reality vividly and often in everyday life? You seem to suggest that this is a construction of left ideology rather than a material condition/reality. I'm not sure I buy that, if so. There is simply too much literature, qualitative and quantitative in a lot of fields, that suggests that racial disparities in outcomes, incidents, etc. are real and present in a lot of settings.
But those racial disparities have shrunk dramatically and are now to a place where we define racism via events that I basically experienced as a teen, like "microaggression". The DOJ doesn't find overt racism in most police departments. So how concerning is all of this stuff that Kaep thinks has "gone in this country for years and years and have never been addressed?" What exactly hasn't been addressed? The further we get away from real overt racism, the more there seems to be cries like this claiming that it's an ignored problem, worse than ever, and something never before addressed. It's bizarre....and IMO politically motivated. That's where the liberal ideology kicks in. They don't want the problem to go away...brings them power.

What I see is there is a lingering bias of public perception that blacks act more criminal than whites or should be feared more than whites. The question is why? It's not as easy as whites vs blacks because most blacks I've asked about it admit they feel the same way....unless the white guy is a cop.

Ugh. No. The only racism left isn't micro aggressions. Jesus.

But those racial disparities have shrunk dramatically and are now to a place where we define racism via events that I basically experienced as a teen, like "microaggression". The DOJ doesn't find overt racism in most police departments. So how concerning is all of this stuff that Kaep thinks has "gone in this country for years and years and have never been addressed?" What exactly hasn't been addressed? The further we get away from real overt racism, the more there seems to be cries like this claiming that it's an ignored problem, worse than ever, and something never before addressed. It's bizarre....and IMO politically motivated. That's where the liberal ideology kicks in. They don't want the problem to go away...brings them power.

What I see is there is a lingering bias of public perception that blacks act more criminal than whites or should be feared more than whites. The question is why? It's not as easy as whites vs blacks because most blacks I've asked about it admit they feel the same way....unless the white guy is a cop.

facepalm

Ugh. No. The only racism left isn't micro aggressions. Jesus.
Ummm....I never said the only racism was microaggression, I said the racial disparity has shrunk to a point where people are DEFINING racism by concepts LIKE microaggression. Are you claiming that we aren't replacing overt racism with concepts like that? Seriously? LOL.

Ummm....I never said the only racism was microaggression, I said the racial disparity has shrunk to a point where people are DEFINING racism by concepts LIKE microaggression. Are you claiming that we aren't replacing overt racism with concepts like that? Seriously? LOL.

Your evidence that the racial disparity (in what area exactly?) has shrunk is that scholars conceptualized micro aggression (Pierce 1970)? You're a scientist?

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead way out on a limb and claim that. Anecdotes and all, but the Philly cop with the Nazi tattoo has me shook today, I guess.

Again, I refuse to believe any of you guys went to NC public school at any point over the last four decades and didn't experience blatant racism.

Again, I refuse to believe any of you guys went to NC public school at any point over the last four decades and didn't experience blatant racism.

If you think people are denying racism exists, we have a miscommunication.

After reading the following post:

Eh, that's not what white people are saying. At all. She even gets the first sentence wrong.

I was going to sarcastically reply, "White people want black people to stop protesting at all and get to work!"

Then lo and behold on the next page I read this gem:

See my answer above. The "white people" I'm referring to are the ones Charlotte is referring to, so I will take her stereotype as I find it, for purposes of this discussion.

Protesting isn't going to solve shit, and racism--while A problem--- isn't the only problem. In terms of things holding back the majority of poor people in America (a few of whom aren't black, I hear), racism might not even be a minimally contributing factor. I would hope that people---white, black, purple and fuchsia---who care (as opposed to those who care deeply about being seen caring), would tell people to do things that actually work (cf. protest).

if I thought for a second a protest would work, I'd advocate for it. I don't, so I don't.

I do however think that doing the well-documented behaviors will work, so I do. I think the great majority of Americans are capable of it, and will directly benefit from it.

Protesting isn't going to solve her problems. Sorry about it.

Back