• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

14117910_10209263107030698_6196250656254616797_n.jpg

I think we'd have concurrence if these could be flipped. As extensively noted, racism is a factor, but I believe the role of the macro is played by what you do, more so than what you look like. Again, exhaust yourselves decrying my naiveté (and here come the "Well, when I lived in a duplex off of Cherry Street...stories), I just don't operate with palpable, persistent fear of racism as a driving factor.

Many people drive with palpable, persistent fear of racism, however.

Crap. I guess I will have to protest my oil. Here I was all ready to change it, and then you swooped in to save the day. That was a close one, thanks!

eta: Since I'm new to this protest deal, does that work with your newborn's diapers? Let's say he really loads one up, what do you do...draw a couple of protest signs, gin up a hashtag and go all #saveourturds?

The oil comparison is ridiculous. If the mechanic is the only one who can change your oil, and he chooses to ignore your car, are you going to walk into the bay and change the oil yourself, or are you going to protest to the manager?

The newborn is a perfect example. The baby needs a new diaper. He can't do it himself. He protests, and gets a new diaper.

ITT: tens of liberals get riled up talking about how so many conservatives are freaking out while only one conservative posts

Again, I refuse to believe any of you guys went to NC public school at any point over the last four decades and didn't experience blatant racism.

I think a lot of posters went to private schools and never experienced any other races at all. I think a lot of posters don't personally know many uniformed law enforcement officers, either. It's amazing to me that--despite this deficit of experience---they know the primary...nay, exclusive...cause of conflict between these two pools of people. Who needs experience, when you have a narrative? It's just so gosh darned easy to believe the "Hands up, Don't shoot" story, until the facts actually do come in. This safe space apparently only has room for one explanation. Others need not apply. Nope. It's systemic racism or GTFO.

Last edited:
Many people drive with palpable, persistent fear of racism, however.

The oil comparison is ridiculous. If the mechanic is the only one who can change your oil, and he chooses to ignore your car, are you going to walk into the bay and change the oil yourself, or are you going to protest to the manager?

The newborn is a perfect example. The baby needs a new diaper. He can't do it himself. He protests, and gets a new diaper.

I'd learn to change my own oil. It isn't that hard. You need a small amount of elevation (a ramp will do if you drive a Bzdelius) or if you drive a truck you can usually just slide underneath, as long as you get access to the filter from underneath. Place the pan under the drain plug, one or two quick turns to left on both the filter and the plug, and you're in business. Takes about 30 minutes to learn, 20 minutes to do, and then you never have to protest when someone else doesn't solve that problem for you again. Would you like me to show you how to do it?

The newborn example is indeed a perfect example of the infantilization you appear to wish to impart on others.

Not everyone is physically capable like you to change their own oil. What about them?

Not everyone is physically capable like you to change their own oil. What about them?

Apparently we're supposed to repeatedly tell them that they have no chance, the system hates them and just empty the "why try?" bucket on their hopes and dreams. Call me skeptical.

No, we don't just sit around saying "your car is fucked." We change it for them.

No, we don't just sit around saying "your car is fucked." We change it for them.

Okay. Let's say that's the plan. What if, in addition to the oil being at 4,000 miles, the house is on fire, a minor child is unattended/possibly missing and two people don't have enough to eat.

Do we ever move on from the incessant self-flagellation about the state of the oil, or can we talk about other, arguably more acute and on a much wider scale, than an overdue oil change? At what point does round (checks to see how many posts PhDeac has made, inserts number here) seem less like a sincere investment in the oil's well-being, and more like a convenient, more politically correct topic of conversation? Because there's a case for that, no?

Or maybe they own a fleet of cars. And 98% of them don't have any oil in them at all, but we spent 99% of the time talking about the 2% of the cars that are merely overdue for an oil change, and we're told that the other 98% of the cars with the same problem aren't to be discussed, and that talking about the other 98% is just a distraction from the real, serious, palpable problems experienced by those 2% of the cars.

When do we say, "Yeah, but what about the scale?"

and what are we to do in the near term should a cop shoot an unarmed black man today, tomorrow, next week?

and what are we to do in the near term should a cop shoot an unarmed black man today, tomorrow, next week?

We will add it the 800+ page thread, just in case someone hasn't heard that there's racism in America.

And when an armed person kills a cop who was just doing his job, well, there's apparently no thread for that here.

why don't you start one? take initiative/personal responsibility and all that.

Back