• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

Even if they are parading in hoods and burning crosses every weekend, does that make them any less heroic for those (of all races) who they protect/save? Ross McGinnis might have been the Grand Wizard, would that make what he did any less heroic?

No, that's why Ph wants people like him here as police.

I highly recommend Once a Cop by Corey Pegues. The guy came up in the 70s/80s in NYC as part of the drug scene - dealing, hustling, etc - then busted his ass to get a degree, join the military, and eventually join the NYPD. He had a fairly meteoric rise through the ranks to become one of the few people of color in NYPD leadership.

Ahh the heritage foundation the beacon of conservative science,
Supplying manipulated facts for your viewing pleasure and talking points since 1973

So, a couple things. First, I was a little over the top with my grenade comment yesterday. That does dishonor the memory of many courageous men and women who died for the person next to them, regardless of the cause. I'm of two minds about it; one, I think as a citizen it's pretty gross that we spend money and lives in the same way my friends on the Pit consider their water usage. On the other hand, it seems to me that if the goal is to win, we should strive to win. We should definitely indoctrinate our citizens and their kids in our 'values' and revel in our history. In that sense, I see no problems with the Pledge or the Anthem/Flag; on the contrary, I think it's incredibly important, despite the cynical views of adults.

Secondly, re: the demographics of recruits. I read the heritage analysis of the data and read some info about it and other articles about the topic in general. Heritage claims to use US Gov. data and surveys and it seems cherry picked but I don't see any counter-analysis debunking it. There are other pieces that support the notion of disproportionate representation by the poor and minorities. Bottom line, there's not enough info for me to stand behind my original one-liner. Personally (anecdotally), all the people I know who enlisted were boneheads, barely made it through HS and were lower middle to poor. And I went to a school in a rural/farm area and only about 25% applied to college; so in my sample size it was over represented.

14117799_1719499588311415_4407987928372065442_n.jpg

Kaep can do whatever he wants. I think it's a savvy move. He knows he's going to CFL soon, so he's angling for a longterm deal up there. If he shows he's not that big on America, the Argonauts or Alouettes will pony up.

Secondly, re: the demographics of recruits. I read the heritage analysis of the data and read some info about it and other articles about the topic in general. Heritage claims to use US Gov. data and surveys and it seems cherry picked but I don't see any counter-analysis debunking it. There are other pieces that support the notion of disproportionate representation by the poor and minorities. Bottom line, there's not enough info for me to stand behind my original one-liner. Personally (anecdotally), all the people I know who enlisted were boneheads, barely made it through HS and were lower middle to poor. And I went to a school in a rural/farm area and only about 25% applied to college; so in my sample size it was over represented.

I've been surprised in the opposite way. My kids went to private school and we live in a well-to-do area (we are the don't belong hangers-on) - I have been very surprised at how many kids I have seen come out of school and go into the military - some through the academies but others through ROTC programs or other ways. This demographic seems to have a lot of patriotism and desire to serve.

I've been surprised in the opposite way. My kids went to private school and we live in a well-to-do area (we are the don't belong hangers-on) - I have been very surprised at how many kids I have seen come out of school and go into the military - some through the academies but others through ROTC programs or other ways. This demographic seems to have a lot of patriotism and desire to serve.

I thought i threw this #caveat out there but, as through all of history, there's a big difference between kids going to academies/ROTC and the enlisted class

Seems like it is more conservative vs. liberal than black vs white on this issue.

Eh, that's not what white people are saying. At all. She even gets the first sentence wrong.

lol apparently I have no understanding of this issue, and neither does Charlotte who is an actual black person with a perception of what white people are saying. enlighten everyone on what white people are saying.

Seems like it is more conservative vs. liberal than black vs white on this issue.

hmm. Well Charlotte is a black person, at least she appears black in the picture. So her perception of what white people are saying is important to the argument. but of course, the white guy is going to come along and correct that perception because black Charlotte got it wrong.

lol apparently I have no understanding of this issue, and neither does Charlotte who is an actual black person with a perception of what white people are saying. enlighten everyone on what white people are saying.

If you're expecting a protest to solve your problems for you (as compared to, say, adulthood), you might want to get used to having those problems for a while. They're going to be loyal companions.

Incidentally, that's the same advice you give to your children. The difference between Republicans and Democrats (on this topic) is that Republicans don't change their advice based upon the audience.

hmm. Well Charlotte is a black person, at least she appears black in the picture. So her perception of what white people are saying is important to the argument. but of course, the white guy is going to come along and correct that perception because black Charlotte got it wrong.

Most of my white liberal friends on FB are highly supportive of CK and his protesting stance and most are saying the same thing as they marinate in white guilt.

If you're expecting a protest to solve your problems for you (as compared to, say, adulthood), you might want to get used to having those problems for a while. They're going to be loyal companions.

So what you (and white people) are saying is that there is no problem, and black people who believe that there is a problem are wrong. Is that right?

also, that the only problem here is that black people are acting like children?

So what you (and white people) are saying is that there is no problem, and black people who believe that there is a problem are wrong. Is that right?

*sigh*

That we disagree on the solution, doesn't mean we don't see the same problems. Episode 16,152.

*sigh*

That we disagree on the solution, doesn't mean we don't see the same problems. Episode 16,152.

Sorry to upset you again, I just want to make sure i understand.

You believe that there is a problem with racism in America towards black people, but that protesting isn't the solution and that they just need to grow up (adulthood) and take more responsibility for how they act and that will end the racism?

sometimes your prose is hard for my App State mind to understand

As a reminder, this is an artistic rendering of a protest:

29p57j6.jpg

I'll bet on doing the statistically proven means to make your life better instead, but you do you (reminder: you actually DO you, it's just that you recommend other people to protest).

Back