• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Big win to show that the program is going forward. Now please, please, please go full time with Hinton.

No I don't think Coach BZ deserved more time because I never thought he was the right coach in the first place (in hindsight I don't think anyone would say that he was the right coach).

When Coach Clawson was hired, I did think he was the right hire and I still think so. As a fan (and a photographer), I was disappointed in the performance of the offense last week too. But I'm glad that the Deacs won and I look forward to better days. But sometimes better days arrive later than we would like.

My own school's team, Dartmouth went through some terrible years of losing records in the late 90s and early 2000s. When Buddy Teevens was hired for a second stint as coach (he had coached Dartmouth to 2 Ivy championships in 90 and 91, I knew he would get the job done. But it took a while.

Dartmouth Big Green (Ivy League) (2005–present)
2005 Dartmouth 2–8 1–6 7th
2006 Dartmouth 2–8 2–5 T–6th
2007 Dartmouth 3–7 3–4 T–4th
2008 Dartmouth 0–10 0–7 8th
2009 Dartmouth 2–8 2–5 T–6th
2010 Dartmouth 6–4 3–4 5th
2011 Dartmouth 5–5 4–3 T–2nd
2012 Dartmouth 6–4 4–3 T–3rd
2013 Dartmouth 6–4 5–2 3rd
2014 Dartmouth 8–2 6–1 2nd
2015 Dartmouth 9–1 6–1 T–1st

This is no place for rational thought, bob!

No I don't think Coach BZ deserved more time because I never thought he was the right coach in the first place (in hindsight I don't think anyone would say that he was the right coach).

Oh, I bet I know one person who would, but he is a moron.

Interesting to watch the complaints move from the Claw to Bz with the win! Something Freudian about that I imagine.

A couple of comments. 6 of 10 first and second stringers of the OL are RS Sophs and RS Freshman....so it really hasn't been a stretch to have that unit struggle a bit out of the gate. Seeing them play so well as the game went on was very encouraging and it follows the path I think Clawson has set for the team. If all of them end up playing like Tyler Hayworth did yesterday by the time they're RS seniors, we'll be good.

I was pretty impressed with a postgame comment by Clawson. He said the team worked way to hard in practice to let one game of poor offense drag them down (or something like that). That's a character comment and we saw it yesterday as well.

So... I went hunting yesterday and missed the huge win by the Deacs! Any way, everyone knows we need to start Hinton, but... do the coaches?

So where do you plan on hunting 10 of the next 11 weeks?

Yeah - want to go to Montana to hunt one of these weekends? PhDeac will pay for it.

The answer, of course, is in the basement....same place that WF has been in ACC football for most of the last 60 years.

What I am wondering is who Clawson's ACC win this year will come against...assuming that he can get his one annual ACC win again this year. From the first week's games, my guess would be Virginia. The bigger question is will it be all FGs again or will Clawson's offense break thru and score a touchdown in this win

Scoreboard

He's gained credibility.

I caught a football double header today. Ole Miss this afternoon and Memphis vs BGSU at the Liberty bowl. The Falcons offensive line was doing the same catch and shove technique that our guys were doing but with 5 foot splits. The way we're doing it was with tight 2 foot splits. Both from a 2 point stance. Claw fixed the blocking technique,which gave us a running game, which opened the passing game, which gave us first downs and time of posession. Our defense could then get rest on the sidelines. Fixing the O-line helped the entire team.

Claw was adamant about how weak our guys were when he arrived and it showed on the field. We are so much stronger up front now on both lines. Josh Banks looks like an nfl talent now. I know IU was missing linemen this week but last year the game was played about 3 yards past the LOS. This year they couldn't run for shit. Duke was the same way. So nice to see.

We won a key road game without our starting QB or RB, I'd say the lines have improved for sure. Odds favor an 8-win season at this point (Syracuse, Army, UVA, and BC), which would be a typical Clawson year 3 given his standard trajectory. Awesome.

Back