• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

If someone were to perform the following steps:

1. Select the 20 biggest college football programs in the country
2. Pull the statistical data from the last decade for each season for each program so you have a sample size of 200 total seasons (20 X 10)
3. Rank that list of 200 seasons and find the worst singular offensive season out of the 200

Welp, what do you know, that offense was coordinated by David Clawson

I don't think Clawson has ever coordinated an offense of a top 20 program. Top 30 or 40 maybe.

Boom, and there it is. Posted something about a buddy who is a UT fan/alumnus and was there during those years...he can't stand Clawson. Starting to understand why. Great that he can recruit and look good in a press conference, but our O is just awful.

Yeah, he comes across really well. I've thought since he got here, listening to him and how he conducts himself, "here's a guy that's going to have success." However, the lack of talent he inherited is becoming less and less of an excuse and last night not only showed lack of progression, but seemingly regression on offense. Last year, we opened up with Elon and put 41 on them, no way we would've put up more the 28 even against Elon last night.

I don't think Clawson has ever coordinated an offense of a top 20 program. Top 30 or 40 maybe.

Haha, this will be a thread derail, but I would def put Tennessee in the top 20 college football programs. National titles, huge stadium. Fan support.

Haha, this will be a thread derail, but I would def put Tennessee in the top 20 college football programs. National titles, huge stadium. Fan support.

I think he probably meant he's never been an OC of an offense that finished statistically in the top 20 of FBS. Not that he hasn't been an OC at a top 20 program.

Clawson does not have to be a good or great offensive coach. He needs to hire one and let them do it. He has pretty much proven he can't. The HC has to manage a business and its his job to get the right people in place to get the job done. 3 years enough to know it isn't working and a change needs to come. He can let his friends ruin his career or make some tough decisions but what we see on offense isnt working. Most high schools run better schemes.

Clawson does not have to be a good or great offensive coach. He needs to hire one and let them do it. He has pretty much proven he can't. The HC has to manage a business and its his job to get the right people in place to get the job done. 3 years enough to know it isn't working and a change needs to come. He can let his friends ruin his career or make some tough decisions but what we see on offense isnt working. Most high schools run better schemes.

A good AD would tell him this. Now. It's why Clawson likely won't make any change. Grobe never did either.

If we had connected on two deep balls and the final was 21-3 would everyone feel better about it? The only difference would be two completed passes. But the scoreboard (especially to those who didn't watch the game) would look more like what we expected.

Not really - because we still sucked on the same freaking running plays that we have sucked on the prior 2 seasons. The things I was hoping the most for last night were signs of improved OL play and more success in the run game. Both of those looked as bad, if not worse, then they have the last 2 seasons. The fact that we are still trying to do the same things that we have had no success doing over the last 2 seasons and failing once again is very, very disappointing.

As disappointing as last night was, I am willing to see what if anything changes against Duke before I get too upset. If we lose badly in Durham, it will take a lot for Claw to win back my faith in him.

This is spot on. The problem is we should NEVER be in a position to "lose badly in Durham."

I think he probably meant he's never been an OC of an offense that finished statistically in the top 20 of FBS. Not that he hasn't been an OC at a top 20 program.

Cmon man. It was an obvious crack on Tennessee.

The real question to ask when you are thinking about Dave Clawson as a coach is doing a proper analysis of the '13 Bowling Green season. If you pull that one season out, his resume is poor and he would have never been considered for a P5 job. But on the other hand, being able to produce a legit top 40-50 in the country team at a MAC school is really impressive.

But the more I look at it, I really think it was just fools gold. The offense was saved by being extremely elite on 3rd and long and known passing downs. Which Clawson has no track record of ever being good at previously. The more I look at it the more I just think Matt Johnson was freaking amazing as a college QB (he threw for 4900 yards, 46 TDs, 8 INTs, MAC player of the year last season FYI). It is my opinion that Matt Johnson made Claw's shitty offense work, because of his greatness, for one season which tricked us into hiring him.

The real question to ask when you are thinking about Dave Clawson as a coach is doing a proper analysis of the '13 Bowling Green season. If you pull that one season out, his resume is poor and he would have never been considered for a P5 job. But on the other hand, being able to produce a legit top 40-50 in the country team at a MAC school is really impressive.

But the more I look at it, I really think it was just fools gold. The offense was saved by being extremely elite on 3rd and long and known passing downs. Which Clawson has no track record of ever being good at previously. The more I look at it the more I just think Matt Johnson was freaking amazing as a college QB (he threw for 4900 yards, 46 TDs, 8 INTs, MAC player of the year last season FYI). It is my opinion that Matt Johnson made Claw's shitty offense work, because of his greatness, for one season which tricked us into hiring him.

I seriously don't think that Clawson was hired based on one season. More likely it was because he was able to take 3 different programs that were down in the dumps and turn them into winners. We were all impressed by that when he was hired. The thing that was alarming however was that in all cases his teams were terrible the first couple of years before they started to quickly improve. That seemed to point that he was not real good at adopting to the skill-set that existed when he took over (granted that was likely poor - as it was here when he started) and needed a few years to bring in "his" players and build them up. My hope was/is that we would see that jump with Wake starting this year. Based on last night's game, it looks like this could be another season of inept offense, which makes it hard to believe overall improvement is coming this season.

Right and lack of improvement this year would play into the fear that Clawson only succeeded at other stops because he was eventually able to outrecruit the competition.

Art Briles is looking for work in 2017. Just hired Saban's agent.
Could be return on the Jim Grobe trade. Do you think he would take the OC job or do we have to push Clawson out?

- please don't take this seriously.

Art Briles is looking for work in 2017. Just hired Saban's agent.
Could be return on the Jim Grobe trade. Do you think he would take the OC job or do we have to push Clawson out?

- please don't take this seriously.

Tom Herman

I think we need to get off hammering our o line. I've concluded its the scheme. I'm not letting Clawson use them as an excuse anymore. We have enough linemen, tight ends, potential fullbacks, and tailbacks to run the football. We are just all fucked up, think too much, have awful timing, and the shittiest trickery I've ever seen going on three yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The Peter Principle appears to be alive and well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back