• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

104, 81, 101, 92 = the last 4 years F+ advanced statistical rating of the WFU football team (that is fully schedule adjusted, and a pretty close proxy for our team strength among the 125-130 FBS teams)

All of our recruiting class rankings are in the 50-70 (mostly 60s end of Grobe era). So while the talent is super crappy for the ACC, we still have underperformed the last 4 years (and probably will this year too). We should be a bit better in the long run than the shit we've had to watch the last half decade. I don't think the last few years is the new normal expectation for WFU football.

The point is that WF has never done anything remotely close to what either of them have done.....in 108 years. So what gives anyone reason to believe that they can accomplish anything like that now?

I don't think Wake can be like Army or Duke was 50 years ago, neither do I think Army or Duke could ever do anything like that again either. It is stupid for you to use ancient history when it's not any close to being relevant to today.

As long as Wake doesn't botch the hiring of Wellman's replacement (which unfortunately is all too possible), everything will get better across the board once he retires. At this point it's hard to understate the benefits that new blood and fresh ideas at the AD position will bring. The atmosphere around the whole dept has just gotten very stale, at least from an outsider's perspective.

104, 81, 101, 92 = the last 4 years F+ advanced statistical rating of the WFU football team (that is fully schedule adjusted, and a pretty close proxy for our team strength among the 125-130 FBS teams)

All of our recruiting class rankings are in the 50-70 (mostly 60s end of Grobe era). So while the talent is super crappy for the ACC, we still have underperformed the last 4 years (and probably will this year too). We should be a bit better in the long run than the shit we've had to watch the last half decade. I don't think the last few years is the new normal expectation for WFU football.

Yeah. Recruiting isn't the problem with respect to being a consistent bowl contender.

The money that was absolutely pissed away on the most recent stupid ass marketing campaign that was mailed by the deacon club was laughably bad.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah. Recruiting isn't the problem with respect to being a consistent bowl contender.

So we are generally one of the bottom two or three teams in recruiting rankings in ACC. How does that translate to bowl contender? There are only so many horrible teams you can play OOC. It's a combination of recruiting and coaching/scheme.

Sure. We are better than one or two ACC teams on our schedule and comparable to a few others. Superior coaching gets us enough toss ups to win 5 or 6 games a year.

lol. superior coaching. when have we ever had a superior coach? and our recrution surely isnt superior.

Change it to "better coaching than other mediocre ACC programs."

Sure. We are better than one or two ACC teams on our schedule and comparable to a few others. Superior coaching gets us enough toss ups to win 5 or 6 games a year.

We are roughly comparable to Cuse and BC in recruiting rankings. Generally below UVA from the coastal. Who are we better than?

Really? How old are you?

I'm with you bobknightfan. Been watching since 57. Some of you guys remind me of myself 30 years ago when the acc was a different world. Wake has remained the same while the Acc and the P5 morphed into the present ESPN driven giant.

Wake is a top 25 academic school. It needs to act like it and be smarter than it's opponents. That means out scheming our opponents, using misdirection, and hiring top flight coaching minds.

Currently we have one of the least creative, dullest offensive plans possible. Alabama can get away with just bashing their opponents head in or out talenting their opponents.

We need an AD smart enough to hire smart coaches and play smart football. Don't make excuses and don't say it can't be done. Use what you have and find a way..

I'm with you bobknightfan. Been watching since 57. Some of you guys remind me of myself 30 years ago when the acc was a different world. Wake has remained the same while the Acc and the P5 morphed into the present ESPN driven giant.

Past failure is not predictive of future failure unless you fail to make changes yourself.

Wake is a top 25 academic school. It needs to act like it and be smarter than it's opponents. That means out scheming our opponents, using misdirection, and hiring top flight coaching minds.

Currently we have one of the least creative, dullest offensive plans possible. Alabama can get away with just bashing their opponents head in or out talenting their opponents.

We need an AD smart enough to hire smart coaches and play smart football. Don't make excuses and don't say it can't be done. Use what you have and find a way..
Yeah right. And the coach will be gone the next year. See the problem?

Yeah. Let's out-think the five star talent we play most weeks

Past failure is not predictive of future failure unless you fail to make changes yourself.

Agree. Double the students, increase so-called class choices to attract many top athletes, and follow unc and the rest. Actually wake is dumb not to if it wants to be in the present acc

Good posts. Wake teams have to play and coach smarter and harder than the competition in order to win.

Back