• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

My type is realism. I named teams in our division of the ACC. If we can't beat them consistently then where are we?

What change "at all levels" let's us beat fsu, Clemson, Louisville, and ncsu consistently?
Asking for a friend

My type is realism. I named teams in our division of the ACC. If we can't beat them consistently then where are we?

The answer, of course, is in the basement....same place that WF has been in ACC football for most of the last 60 years.

What I am wondering is who Clawson's ACC win this year will come against...assuming that he can get his one annual ACC win again this year. From the first week's games, my guess would be Virginia. The bigger question is will it be all FGs again or will Clawson's offense break thru and score a touchdown in this win

Love the big words. Just trying to figure out what sort of change you are trying to foster
Answers? I suspect you to say "try harder". But this isn't middle school kick ball. At some point some kids are bigger and faster than others

Why is it always FSU or fold? What's wrong with beating BC, Syracuse, Duke UVa and State regularly? (And not long ago with did beat FSU 4 out of 6 times.) What's wrong with .500 football?

I'd be OK with Northwestern's last decade, or Duke's last four years, if peeps want something for us to aim for

BC in the 00s. TCU under Patterson.

This discussion regarding Wake's place in college football will likely be resolved in the next few years. The schools that comprise the P5 conferences will realize they would benefit from leaving the NCAA, at which point they will realign/reorganize conferences. Some schools presently in those conference will be left behind because they add no value to the new world order. Despite longstanding rivalries and common, shared values money will win out. Wake Forest will then be free to seek membership in a conference more appropriate in this day and age.

This discussion regarding Wake's place in college football will likely be resolved in the next few years. The schools that comprise the P5 conferences will realize they would benefit from leaving the NCAA, at which point they will realign/reorganize conferences. Some schools presently in those conference will be left behind because they add no value to the new world order. Despite longstanding rivalries and common, shared values money will win out. Wake Forest will then be free to seek membership in a conference more appropriate in this day and age.

Founding member of the most successful conference in America. What you would have to pay Wake to leave "the company" they started is going to leave a scar. Every setback someone brings this shit up. Wake Forest is never leaving the ACC. Never.

There are 65 P5 teams and 300+ who want to be. We're not giving up the money. Donald Sterling made millions from the NBA just by being a member, he didn't have to win or be competitive. Wellman is our Donald Sterling.

Founding member of the most successful conference in America. What you would have to pay Wake to leave "the company" they started is going to leave a scar. Every setback someone brings this shit up. Wake Forest is never leaving the ACC. Never.

Notre Dame, Louisville, Miami, Syracuse, Florida State, etc. could care less that Wake is a founding member of the ACC. If some TV exec points out how much more money the conference can make without Wake, then they wouldn't hesitate to cut us lose or leave us behind.

I have been a solid Clawson supporter. Grobe left the cupboard bare and Clawson has done a better than expected job at recruiting. He also brought a fresh sense of optimism. However, after sitting through the entire game on Thursday, I understand much of the criticism and hope he does not hang on too long with the current approach on offense.

Wake can clearly compete with all but the top teams in the ACC. Nothing wrong with third and occasionally better than that. Wake has done that under Grobe. Many other schools in situations similar to Wake have done it.

You have to make it a priority. You have to set expectations. You have to have a plan. You have to hire the right coaches and hold them accountable.

At this point I think the biggest problem is that those that make the decisions would like to have success but do not care enough to do what it takes. It is like wanting to lose 30 pound but not be willing to eat better or go to the gym. Wanting to get better is not the same as committing to doing it.

Last edited:
I have been a solid Clawson supporter. Grobe left the cupboard bare and Clawson has done a better than expected job at recruiting. He also brought a fresh sense of optimism. However, after sitting through the entire game on Thursday, I understand much of the criticism and hope he does not hang on too long with the current approach on offense.

Kind of agree. My only question is how bare was that cupboard? The talent was certainly not good, but I think the offensive skills that Clawson and his OC brought magnified the lack of talent. What we saw Thursday from the offense was truly inexcusable.

W. Michigan, S. Alabama, Richmond, E. Washington, So. Miss, all beat P5 schools. It can be done. I don't see how we can this year. We have wasted the whole off season to get back to where we were last November. What was the staff doing? What were we thinking?

Notre Dame, Louisville, Miami, Syracuse, Florida State, etc. could care less that Wake is a founding member of the ACC. If some TV exec points out how much more money the conference can make without Wake, then they wouldn't hesitate to cut us lose or leave us behind.

You may want to read the bylaws of the ACC. The scenario you describe is not legally possible.

Wake will not be forced out of the ACC and we will not win many, if any, ACC games as long as Ruggerio/Clawson keep this offense. Too late to do anything much about it this season since they spent the Spring and Fall camps exclusively practicing the train wreck you see now. Having to change everything up now, or even doing any but cosmetic tweaks, will have to wait until the off season or else we will look like the week Grobe decided to change everything for the game against Miami several years ago, didn't work then and won't work now

Back